main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

When did the Jedi start the 'no-love' rule

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediProphet, Feb 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediProphet

JediProphet Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 1, 2002
    Okay, in the prequels we know Jedi aren't allowed to marry or fall in love, it's against the Jedi code. 4,000 years ago it was okay for Nomi Sunrider to have a husband and a daughter. Now I know that's 4,000 years, but still I was wondering when do you think the Jedi said they couldn't take a spouse, and more importantly why?

2. Boutros-Boutros

Boutros-Boutros Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 5, 2001
    Yoda created the rule when he was about 200 because he was bitter about not being able to get a date.

3. METZ

METZ Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 17, 2001
    I think it happened about 2 years ago when GL wrote E2!!!

4. Darth Tuna

Darth Tuna Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 18, 1999
    I think GL probably had this in mind even in the first trilogy, because Luke did not get the girl, and there was no other girl around for him to pair up with after he found out Leia was his sister.

The no love rule is one of those things which caused the jedi to lose touch-heh- with the living force, in my opinion. Sounds like something Yoda would come up with, all right. Easy to enforce celibacy for others if your species is almost extinct!

I'm fascinated that people writing fan fiction actually see the Jedi academy as a very free wheeling kind of place, where beings hook up with all genders and any species that fit their body parts. I like this idea better! ;)

5. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    Sometime after (and probably in response to) TotJ. In those books we see what happens when rash Jedi let their emotions get the better of them. So things changed, potential Jedi are taken when they're really young so they can be trained and those emotions harnessed before they can really develop their own personalities.

6. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    i a truly frustrated by this fact.

clearly lucas liscensing felt up until even eithin the last couple of years that the no marriage rule was semi-acceptable.

canon or not - gl may have had the idea that anakin's turning would be pressed by his being prohibited not to love or marry, but as recently as the current run of dark horse sw comics - ki-adi-mundi had a wife and children. in fact he had several wives.

this is quite a bit more directly influenced by gl's current "no love" story-arc than TotJ which was written several years ago!!!

what does this mean that lucas liscencing allowed such a recent story to contain such an arc?

and what of the fact that yoda and/or obi-wan were counting on the offspring of anakin to overthrow the emperor and restore balance?

this supports the aforementioned theory that the current jedi regime HAS lost touch with the living force.

7. Alion_Sangre

Alion_Sangre Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Maybe Obi-Wan got clipped in the groin in a lightsaber accident as a padawan and didn't want Anakin to have any fun

8. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Probably when GL needed a plot point for the prequels.

9. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    GL would not listen to TotJ, simple as that.

10. skawookiee

skawookiee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 12, 2000
    It's simple. In the old school Jedi order, the TOTJ, love was allowed. The Jedi then understood that love was ok, and that not all passion was bad, just negative passions were. Then sometime between then, around the time after Jedi vs Sith, the Jedi order grew stagnant, parhaps not wanting to repeat the massive defection of Jedi to the Sith that happened at Ruusan (sp?). By the time the Prequel era comes around, all passion is looked down upon. However, there are still exceptions, like that of Ki Adi Mundi. It's possible that that was just more of a cultural thing, so it's not looked down on as much. Luke just revived the Jedi, gave them a fresh lease on the life of the order. In such, many of the fallacies of the old Prequel order were corrected, such as the forbidden love. One aspect of the father's fall was corrected by the son, yet more symbolism of the redemption not only of Vader, but of the Jedi as a whole.

11. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Post Jedi vs. Sith, pre Vow of Justice.

wk

12. Warlord_Ken

Warlord_Ken Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2000
    That rule is so dumb. Didn't Luke claim that love was one of the strongest Light Side forces?

13. JediLord

JediLord Jedi Master star 4

Oct 15, 2000
    where did Luke say that? in a book?comic book? in cases like this, refer to the movies.

14. Alion_Sangre

Alion_Sangre Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Excuse me, but making love forbidden would prevent Jedi from going dark? Imagine how many lovestruck padawans have become Dark Jedi due to their hatred of not being able to love. Imagine how many times a Jedi Knight has told Yoda to shove his gimer stick up his butt because the old geezer insisted everybody had to go into a hibernation trance on Valentine's Day. That would inspire some pretty negative emotions - kill the little green gnome, etc.

15. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    The rule was probaly created after a few love struck padawans went dark side.

16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think the "no love" thing only applies to padawans. Even if it didn't, I'm thinking there would be exceptions, like Ki-Adi-Mundi, whom might see marraiage as a cultural obligation (Ki's species was something like 1 in 9 males born or something). And Corellian Jedi..well, when was the last time a Corellian followed all the rules[face_batting]

I'm thinking its a limited rule though, because Lucas couldn't have had the concept until very recently. The original plan for the OT was for Leia to not be Luke's sister (luke would have gone looking for his sister in episode 7-9), so that point can't be used to support that theory i think.

17. Wyl_Transerwnnyr

Wyl_Transerwnnyr Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 26, 2001
    I think that the events of the Great Sith War had nothing to do with the "no love" rule. Ulic Qel-Droma didn't go over to the dark side because he loved Nomi Sunrider, but rather because he wanted revenge for the death of his master. Her love, in fact, was part of what brought him back. You know, I have an idea. Yoda says that once down the dark path you start, forever will it dominate your destiny. Look at all of the people who are redeemed. Consistently, love of one sort or another plays a prominent role in the redemption process. When the jedi outlawed love, it made redemption impossible. All that trouble just because girls didn't want to go out with a wrinkled little green guy with hair growing out of his ears. But what about Mace? He strikes me as the sort who had no trouble finding a date. Why would he consent to such rules?

18. Isbeth

Isbeth Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    It's kinda like the Catholic church, once, priests all were married, then it became burreaucratic and the whole thing got out of hand. That bureaucracy crap is probably how Vader got rid of them so easily.

19. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    I agree with whoever said "GL just needed a plot device for the prequels". :p Perhaps this is another way of making the Jedi "religion" seem a whole lot like roman catholicism (one of the more strict forms of christianity). The phrase "May the force be with you" leads into that. We've all seen the way that christianity has evolved through time, to give one example. It's had different sects break off from the main one, and each one has different views that have changed a bit through time. Sure, the Jedi may have not been allowed to love back then, but back a few hundred years ago they didn't allow women to be priests in the church. They still don't with R.C. So, rules change and I think that George realizes this, so it really doesn't matter if at some point in time they didn't allow love. At some point in time they were torturing heretics in Spain and selling indulgences in Medieval Europe. :p There is no continuity problem.

Jae Angel

20. Alderaan_

Alderaan_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    Ki-Adi-Mundi and Thracia Cho Leem were married. Whoever wrote the current Jedi Code must have been some desperate single who was sick of having delusions of grandieur.

21. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    I think that the events of the Great Sith War had nothing to do with the "no love" rule.

I didn't say it did, but I think the "no love" rule, among other changes to the Jedi way, were a more-or-less direct result to the events of that war. The Jedi realized that what had happened had happened because of emotions, so they tried to get rid of them. Bring in infants before they're developed and shape them to be without emotions, and then forbid stuff like love, and you're less likely to have people like Kun running around.

As to Thracia Cho Leem being married, where does it say that. Doesn't she just say that she has kids or something (and doesn't she use the peculiar Sekotan terminology, to boot)?

22. ParanoidAni-droid

ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001

Ki-Adi-Mundi and Thracia Cho Leem were married.

Yes, yes, but you all keep forgetting that it never says they're HAPPILY married! Moral of the story: You can marry 'em but you can't love 'em. 8-}

23. Ceifer

Ceifer Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    I like this thread topic, :D. Though, I'm a bitter person who has no love, [face_devil].

24. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    How sad, :(.

25. Ceifer

Ceifer Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Val, it is quite sad on my part. I may find a love in the future, so no worries. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.