main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

when did vader turn?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by sithsean, Dec 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sithsean

sithsean Jedi Youngling

Jul 16, 2005
    i think it was on the bridge on endor just after luke was brought to vader. him and luke has a conversation and just after the stormies arrested luke and broght him to the emporer you see vader giving a look of like "oh what have i done?" i think that is when anakin emerged and vader really thought that like was going to die!!

2. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    Clearly it is when Palpatine is zapping Luke to death.

3. DarkLordVader800

DarkLordVader800 Jedi Youngling

Dec 17, 2005
    Ya I agree with you. He couldn't bare to see his son die so he destroyed the Empire and saved Luke's life.;)

4. Chewbacca_11

Chewbacca_11 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 20, 2005
    I think his true path back to the light side begun when they met on Endor. But when he truely became a jedi again was when he fufilled the prophacy and kill Palpatine.

5. DarkLordVader800

Dec 17, 2005
    I don't really know what to think.[face_skull]

6. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Of course his turn began back at Endor. That's what the green saber symbolises when he turns it on. It shows us visually the beginning of the conflict within him. The ultimate decision didn't come until Palpatine started zapping him though.

7. DarkLordVader800

Dec 17, 2005
    Ya your right.But I still don't know who do beleve.[face_frustrated]

8. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    Since Endor, he had been thinking about it. That was the conflict that Luke felt inside of him. When Luke was being attacked by Palpatine, Vader made the final decision to cast away the Dark Side. At that moment, the soul of the good and decent young man who was Anakin Skywalker returned in one last act of heroism: sacraficing himself for his son. At that moment, he lived up to his status as "The Hero With No Fear". He did not fear death and he did not fear losing his power and his Empire. All he cared about and thought about at that moment was his son's safety.

9. Rubberdirky

Rubberdirky Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 14, 2005
    it could have been a semi-slow turn like Anakin turned to Vader. May have started when Vader realized Luke was his son somewhere between eps 4 and 5.

10. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    I should point my friend in the direction of this thread... that would be fun...

Yes, I think I shall... ;)

11. Leias_Lipgloss

Leias_Lipgloss Jedi Master star 1

Jul 25, 2004
    I think he began to turn at the end of Empire Strikes Back. When he walks away from the bridge the hem of his cape looks grey, instead of black. Of course, I think this is intentional. I think the seeds were planted during the duel in Empire though.

12. R4P17DC

R4P17DC Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2005
    Vader turns when he moves his hips, or when his feet turn.:rolleyes:

:p

13. geekgirl76

geekgirl76 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    LOL, Indy, you just like to watch me rant. :p

If one includes the events of Ep III, in my mind, I don't think he turned back at all. He just stuck with his original personality flaw of being willing to destroy anything or anyone for the person he loves. The only person he has left is Luke so he saves him.
    I think he recognises after Padme dies that Palpatine is using him as a tool and is only loyal because there isn't anything left for him. When he discovers he has a son who loves him despite what he is, that loyalty is transferred to Luke and he kills the Emperor. I think it could have been anyone who threatened Luke and they would have ended up the same.
    Hence the reason I choose to pretend Ep III never happened, then I can watch ROTJ with my happy ending in place. :p

14. all_2_easy

all_2_easy Jedi Master star 1

May 24, 2005
    Once he lopped off luke's hand and luke took the plunge in ESB.

15. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    yeah. earliest starting point of the process of slowly turning back to the light: Late ESB

final point of really being light again: Watching Luke fry - clearly he was stil rather evil with his "We'll turn your sister" speech

16. Mandalorian_War_Hero

Mandalorian_War_Hero Jedi Youngling

Dec 10, 2005
    He turned when luke grasped his lighsaber in palpitines room. i think this because he knew he would have to fight luke again, and he knew he might have to fight Palitine.

17. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    He didn't.
    He died as Darth Vader, Dark Lord of the Sith.

18. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    nuh-uh!!
    Darth Vader died the moment before Anakin picked up the Emperor

19. JediMasterKenobi07

JediMasterKenobi07 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2005
    Yeah , no doubt!

20. Mandalorian_War_Hero

Dec 10, 2005
  21. DarthButt

DarthButt Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2003
    I don't know about the cape part but I am thinking the same. I think Vader's meeting with Luke in ESB screwed his head up, simply saying. In ROTJ, when Palpatine says "And now I sense you are continuing your search for you Skywalker." Vader pauses and almost changes his tone and responds "Yes, my Master." Then in his meeting with Palpatine informing him that his son has landed on Endor, Palpatine says "Strange that I have not. I wonder if your feelings on this matter are clear, Lord Vader." You can take that a lot of ways, but I think that was a blantent statement of Vader's conflict. And on top of that, with Vader's meeting with Luke (which I think is so much more powerful since the PT came out), Luke can feel his conflict then. And Luke could feel the good in him even before he turned himself in. Like Luke said "That's why I have to go." It was a slow build up that reached it's climax when Palpatine was about to kill Luke. He was on the path back to the good side well before he decided to throw the Emperor down the shaft.

22. Atticus

Atticus Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    Well said, I agree with that. I think thae last time we see a 100% Vader was in TESB, after that Anakin starts to reemerge and the conflict starts up again.

23. Mandalorian_War_Hero

Dec 10, 2005
    When luke first saw vader fight Obi-Wan, Vader might have started to turn.

24. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    I'm thinking maybe when he doesn't kill Piett at the end of Empire, instead stalking off in a huff. Confronting his son has stirred sopmething in the Sith Lord's soul, something good and decent.

Anakin has begun to awaken, methinks.

25. Darth_Fatalous

Darth_Fatalous Jedi Youngling

May 27, 2005
    I think birth of the Vader turn was the first time he met Luke. I always thought that Vader would of seen and sensed some of Padm'e in his son. Which would naturally stir up old memories and open old wounds. Then seeing his son being slowly killed by Palpatine in the Throne Room and the thought of losing his son, his only living connection to the woman he loves turned him fully!

Ironically it was love that turned him to the Darkside and love that turned him back again! In my opinion anyways.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.