main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

When Did You See ANH?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by My young Padawan, Mar 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My young Padawan

My young Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 13, 1999
    I was just wondering. I don?t think that I saw ANH in 1977. I think that I saw it in 1978. A friend of mine said that he saw it in the autumn of 1977. Is this possible?

That would also mean that I did not receive my first action figures (Chewbacca and Darth Vader) until Christmas of 1978. That I continued to build my collection throughout 1979. That I sent away for the Boba Fett action figure in the winter of 1980. Does this make sense?

I would be interested in any other memories concerning these topics. Thanks in advance.

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    It was released May 25, 1977.

3. My young Padawan

Sep 13, 1999
    I know when it was released. Perhaps I wasn't clear. When did you actually see it for the first time? And when did you pick up your first action figures? Does the memory of my own personal story make sense?

4. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    1979. I only remember a few scenes because I was only three years old. It was my first movie.

whostheBossk likes this.
  5. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Around November 1994 when my parents bought me the VHS set for my birthday.

6. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    July 2003. I'll never forget.

7. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    Yes, both your and your friend's viewing date is possible. In many places the film ran through the summer of 1977 into the autumn. And of course it was re-released summer of '78. (I saw it once in '77 and six more times in '78!)

Yes, that's mostly correct. The Kenner action figures came out in mid-'78 after the "early bird special" certificate scheme of Christmas '77. But Boba Fett was available in '79, before ESB came out in '80, so you're probably thinking of Christmas '79 for that send-off figure. Otherwise your timeline appears to mesh with the historical events.

8. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003

I was born in 77 so I didn't see it during intial release. I did however see ESB in theaters in 80. I have no recollection of the first time I saw ANH, but I must have liked it.

9. GuNgAnFaN3090

GuNgAnFaN3090 Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 16, 2008
    I saw it a few years ago. I can't remember when exactly, but I remember seeing the PT first and saying they were awesome then seeing the OT and was speechless because they were so much better.

10. MasterMonkey13

MasterMonkey13 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 19, 2008
    I saw it in May 2005.

11. KennethMorgan

KennethMorgan Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 29, 2004
    I first saw it on the last Friday in June, 1977, at the late, lamented Menlo Park Twin off of Route 1 near Woodbridge Center in Edison, NJ. Same theater where I saw TESB and ROTJ for the first time.

I remember some in the audience were laughing at that last view of Vader, tumbling away after getting bumped out of the trench. Things were different three years later.

12. Wookiee_Vader

Wookiee_Vader Jedi Master star 2

Aug 21, 2007
    First saw it 1994 when I was 4 years old. I was ill and my brother had the VHS, so my mother put it on for me. A new SW fan was born.

13. DarthSticky

DarthSticky Jedi Master star 4

Feb 8, 2002
    Early June of 77. Just me and my Dad at the Lakewood Center Theater in Lakewood, Ca!

My first action figure was a Han Solo, and I still remember picking it out at the Montgomery Wards (also at the Lakewood Center). It was a distant thirud choice since they were out of Lukes and Vaders... :(

whostheBossk likes this.
  14. woj101

woj101 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Feb 19, 2000
    I was born in 1980. My first memory of Star Wars is of the action figures - we moved house when I was 3 and I know before we moved we had the version of Leia in her Bespin robes, but after we moved house I never saw it again, so who knows where that is now. I suppose I must have seen some of the films by then, but I don't remember them. When I did see them later it was all from the TV at Christmas etc but I think even then some bits seemed familiar, so I must have seen something before then.

Back in the '80s when VHS was still pretty new, blank tapes were few and far between and I remember we had one tape that must have been used to record everything, and being kids the tape would get watched, re-wound and watched again countless number of times - so much so in the case of this tape that somehow, it had the visuals of a Herbie film, with the intermittent soundtrack of A New Hope, and I remember being gutted at not being able to see the Star Wars pictures (nothing against Herbie, mind you).

My first retail version of a Star Wars film was ROTJ, so when it came to finally getting A New Hope, and then lastly TESB, on VHS, it was so cool because, being a kid, I'd forgotten so much of the detail of each of the films. Once I got ANH on VHS, the Battle of Yavin became my bible.

15. jedibri

jedibri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2000
    I saw it in '77 a weel after it came out.

16. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    1997, when the SEs came out in theaters. :)

And since then, never looked back.

17. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Saw in in my PJ's in the back seat of my parents car at the drive in. Fell asleep halfway through.:p I was 3?

18. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    I can't remember. I didn't see any of them in theater, though. I was 5 years old in 1977 but my parents weren't big moviegoers. I probably first saw them on TV in the late 1980s.

19. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    The Special Edition release in theaters in 1997. I've seen the THX O-OT versions of TESB and ROTJ on VHS before. Yeah, not the supposed order.

20. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    August 1978 when it came round again in the theatres. My parents took me to see it as everyone was going on about it at school and I was feeling a bit left out! I was only 5 at the time. Hadn't a clue what it was about but loved it anyway!

21. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    I think a lot of recollections in this thread are faulty. As far as I've been able to find out, ANH didn't exist until 1981. Before that, people saw a movie called Star Wars.

22. My young Padawan

Sep 13, 1999
    Okay. When did you see "Star Wars" and when did you purchase/receive your first action figures?

23. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    God, it is one of my most cherished memory's<<<<3. The VERY first time i saw ANH was when i was 7 years old and this is how it happened....

It was 1996. I was sleeping over one of my aunts houses and was taken on a trip to the video rental store. It was a big treat at the time, ya know like one of those real FUN "adventures" that a kid has. I was looking through all the video covers at all the pictures and one caught my eye, i remember i was just SO fascinated by the picture, it just looked SO cool! Like nothing i ever seen before. It was the original star wars poster art (the one with luke holding up his saber with leia next to him) and i held it for so long just looking at it with my imagination running wild. I picked it out and my aunt was telling me the whole car ride home what a great movie it was and how she saw it when she was my age.

She had this awesome big screen tv (big at the time, probably small compared to today's standards lol) so i put it in and before the movie came on it had the trailer of the whole star wars trilogy and the clips that they showed just BLEW ME AWAY! It looked like such a big adventure, such a big story that was ahead of me that i was kind of mystified by it all (lol i know it sounds funny but that's just how i felt). Finally, i watched the movie and was totally shocked, thrilled, mystified by it all and i absolutely COULD NOT WAIT to rent the next one.

After that i watched it many times and ended up FINALLY seeing TESB like a month latter and ROTJ a few weeks after that and each time it was a VERY VERY big deal and just blew me away. I don't really know how one can put into words how it feels to see the star wars trilogy for the first time so i wont try but you get the point.

Star wars has been a part of my life ever since.[face_love]:-B

24. Grievous

Grievous Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 23, 2003
    On TV.

On VHS.

On DVD.

The puppet show at my house.

Repeat 1000 or so times.

End of story.

25. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6