main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

When did Zhan become Asmodeus and KJA Satan?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Charlemagne19, Mar 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Seriously speaking alot of hostility has started to develop among fans towards the authors that didn't seem present before. Add in the hostility toward Barbara Hambly (okay I didn't like her writing style but I liked Callista) and you have enough venom for a hundred cobras.

When did really all the anger toward Zahn start?

We've had him accused of having an ego problem but where the evidence?

And really what's with all the hatred of KJA? I mean sure his writing style is unique but he gave us Tales of the Jedi which is superior to anything else out there I think.

*wears his Nomi Sunrider pin*

2. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    KJA is one of the best. His books feel like SW

3. JadedofMara

JadedofMara Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 16, 2001
    The title of this thread is pretty funny, 19.

Really, to be honest, I dont know. I love Zahn. I can't stand KJA. This is just all about how they write...and I dont like or dislike authors based on "ego problems" or other stuff like that. I just look at what they write.

The anger in here seems to be just people expressing their opinions. There are a lot of Zahn fans, but those anti-Zahn are also VERY vocal. But that shouldn't be a problem, because these boards are a place where EVERYONE can be vocal.

4. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    Whats Asmodeus?

5. CeeWulf

CeeWulf Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    Zahn is the only write who managed to capture the feeling of SW. KJA, he wrote some fun stories, but his writing wasn't that great. And "Darksaber" was the WORST SW book.

6. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

Asmodeus = The Lord of the Flies, The Prince of Darkness; Mephistopholes. Commonly held in Christian mythology as the Devil, aka Satan, the Man Down Stairs.

7. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Charlemagne...
    "When did really all the anger toward Zahn start?"

1991. :)

8. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    KJA is still my favorite SW author I think... JAT and Darksaber are among my favorites.

I like TTT a lot, and don't think I'll ever cease liking it. HoT, though... Well, the first time it was interesting, but I recently re-read it... And... Well, SotP is okay, but VotF feels a bit... empty, despite (especially because of ?) the high page count. Now Zahn himself... Well... He said things in interviews that weren't really 'nice', that's why I have a rather low opinion about the guy.

And Barbara Hambly... Hum... No, better not tell.

9. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    Asmodeus = The Lord of the Flies, The Prince of Darkness; Mephistopholes. Commonly held in Christian mythology as the Devil, aka Satan, the Man Down Stairs.

Isn't he also a serpent in Redwall

10. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    In Jewish Myth where the Adversary is actually a servant of God Asmodeus is a "spirit" that is king of the incubi and consort to Lilith (and vice versa)

In some traditions he is the son of King David by a succubi who eventually replaced King Solomon and gave rise to the many wives of the King and his fall from God

11. Jedi_Andrew_Solo

Jedi_Andrew_Solo Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 5, 2002
    I love Star Wars books, I read just about anything I can get my hands on. That said, I Like both KJA and Zahn, I even like MAS. They have all contributed to the EU without them the EU wouldn't be where it is today. I personaly would love to see Zahn or KJA write something in the NJO.

12. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I think Zahn is a good sport about the New Jedi Order, he said basically that the threat from the Unknown Regions was the Vong and that really fits with what he described.

Plus it also indicates that the idea there is ANOTHER threat in there rather silly. I wish Miss Cunningham hadn'talluded to it, it makes less sense that way

13. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    he said basically that the threat from the Unknown Regions was the Vong and that really fits with what he described.

They're not from the UR :)

14. skawookiee

skawookiee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 12, 2000
    Zahn's books weren't especially great, nor were they exceptionally terrible. I think KJA's books captured the SW feel very well, too. The only SW author I would even begin to associate with ol' Beezelbub is KW Jeter. Yuck.

15. CeeWulf

Feb 15, 2002
    One of the things I liked about VOTF was the way Zahn kind of poked fun at all the other books that had follows his original trilogy.

But, Xizor, how could you have possibly liked "Darksaber"? I mean, I hated that book. It had no point. The story went no where. And KJA's writing was a joke. I mean, he tried to upgrade his writing becaue it was for a hardcover, so he picked up a thesaurus and changed one word on every page. It was so strange, but I realized it as I was reading and it just glowed every time.

16. skawookiee

skawookiee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 12, 2000
    One of the things I liked about VOTF was the way Zahn kind of poked fun at all the other books that had follows his original trilogy.

That's exactly waht I didn't like about it.

17. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Not sure. I've seen the pair as a feuding Sith Lords really, both trying to out do the other, then along comes DR's NJO which tries to do in them both. :)

Jedi Ben

18. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    CeeWulf, might I direct you to TFN's reviews of Darksaber...

19. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    Yup. One reason : most chapter begun with the place. And place changes were numerous. Lots of back and forth between characters. Exactly like in the movies. I like the movies. I like Darksaber. Simple.

And for more, go see the reviews, as suggested by IATDS.

20. cavalier_one

cavalier_one Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2001
    I got the feeling that Zahn was rubbishing some of the BFC in his HoT duology. I liked the BFC, but even if I didn't, I wouldn't think it would be right to attack some of it's concepts in print.

21. Roa

Roa Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 2, 2002
    "When did Zahn become Asmodeus and KJA Satan?" I didn't know they had. I personally have no problems with either Zahn or KJA. Both the TTT and Darksaber are among my favorite Star Wars books. They both have written great books.

22. Dev Sibwarra

Dev Sibwarra Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 1999
    The earliest threads on Zahn and KJA can be found in The Literature Archives. These two, possibly because of the influence that both had, have been some of the most controversial writers since the start of the JC.

The fight over Zahn started out in a discussion of the New Republic's future, and eventually spilled over into its own topic. Stilgar, one of the earlier vocal Zahn detractors here. The common argument seemed not to be that Zahn was the worst writer, but that he was simply overrated. The argument eventually polarized, and "overrated" became "egotistical maniac".

Even before this were the dueling threads on Anderson: DL's Reasons to not like KJA and Hathor's Why I Like KJA.

23. CeeWulf

Feb 15, 2002
    IAmTheDarkSide and Xizor, thanks for the link. But I still think it was the WORST Star Wars book of all. Unfortunatly, it's late, and I'm tired, or I'd pick it up and flip through it to go through a point-by-point reason why I hated it.

But that's another post.

:D

24. CeeWulf

Feb 15, 2002
    I don't know, but I LOVED the idea that Zahn poked fun at the other books. I mean, the stories were all formulaic, following the same exact pattern:

Some characters go in one direction on a mission. Other characters go in another. In the end, it turns out that both missions are related and they all come together in the end.

It was SO predictable. I'm not saying that they were necessarily bad, but the formula was used in virtually EVERY book. Plus, the Empire was constantly rehashed and reused, and no new or interesting threat was developed.

When Zahn concluded it all, it was refreshing.

25. BuzzKill

BuzzKill Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 19, 1999
    I used to hate KJA but now im just neutral to him. His banter between characters was great but as for the rest of it somehow i just felt like i was reading a fan-fic that was just way over the top. As for Zahn well it was just supperior writing from the standpoint of writing in the literal sense. The situations in the novels were better thought out and a definitave goal seemed to form on its own as you read. Im more a fan of a well writen book than a book in a series I happen to like so i guess that may acount for the difference in the way i percieve the to Authors work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.