main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit When do we get a book about Palpatine training Vergere?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Matthew78, Jun 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthew78

Matthew78 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 16, 2006
    This would be great, a book about the brief period of time when Palpatine as Darth Sidious encountered and trained Vergere while she was still a Jedi Knight, then she tries to kill him and flees, he puts Kinman Doriana and Sate Pestage and other agents on her trail and she goes off to Zonama Sekot, finds out about the Yuuzhan Vong, possibly contacts Darth Sidious with the heads up and is taken by them, her Sith Apprentice infiltration of them begins.

Such a story could span her early years and go into her time with them, then show her with Lumiya and later on, it has a lot of potential as a story too, Palpatine from the Clone Wars series and other books seems like enough of a jackass to reveal his true nature to Vergere too early, then gets rejected and dismissed by her, cant take her blowing him off and fleeing and tries to have her killed, fails at this and has to find another way to get rid of her, enter sending her on a mission to Zonama Sekot where she will be killed, only she uncovers things and remains useful, but wisely takes off with the Vong.

Vergere seems to be the perfect midway point between the Jedi and Sith, someone who is dark but also noble, she remains an enigma, but is able to communicate with Jacen Solo after her death, unlike most dark side users who go to the abyss, which implies that Vergere was not entirely evil, or learned some of the old Sith ways that allowed dark side users to become ghosts and not go to the dark side hell, the madness beyond death that Palpatine feared, the Korriban Sith Lord's seem to be happy in a state of bliss and remain connected to their tombs, maybe Vergere learned how to anchor herself like that too.

2. LivingJediDream

LivingJediDream Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2010
    I want a book about the two years Vergere spent dodging Palpatine's assassins while refusing to inform the Jedi Council about his identity as Darth Sidious.

3. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
  4. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    As Vergere being a Sith is still one of the less bright ideas, lets pass on this.

Corax78, Zeta1127, RC-1991 and 7 others like this.
  5. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I forget about how much I like/despise Vergere.

6. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    In that case, they should establish that Vergere is NOT a Sith.

7. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Right after we get TFU 3.

Corax78 likes this.
  8. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    [​IMG]

Corax78 likes this.
  9. ILNP

ILNP Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 12, 2011
    Hopefully never. That way I can keep writing off the idea that Vergere was a Sith as a tool used by Lumiya to turn Jacen.

mJedi775, Corax78 and CeiranHarmony like this.
  10. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I preferred Vergere as a trickster who has been both jedi and sith, but at the same time is really somewhere in the middle of the two.

Rew and CeiranHarmony like this.
  11. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Doesn't explain the same idea being presented in the Legacy comics.

Jedi_Lover and Rew like this.
  12. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    Vergere ain't no Sith.

Zeta1127, DarthJenari, Rew and 3 others like this.
  13. Darth_Arapsis

Darth_Arapsis Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2013
    Just don't touch on it. An another Fosh character would be fun. They look cool.

14. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    fixed

15. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    Vergere is no Sith.. she is a Jedi who liked the Potentium as we know but went beyond even that. Because of the Potentiums believe of there not being a dark side per se, she believed it to be harmless to test Sithlore. Sure she stole some secrets of Palpatine, but she hardly was an apprentice for longer than a few moments they met and talked. He was too busy with other stuff all the time and probably dumped her with some holocron to learn. Thus when she learned too much and did not proof loyality through dark acts, she escaped and he had her hunted down. As a heretic herself she did not tell the council.. they'd not believe her about Palpatine pre-TPM and the Sith reemergence. And after that, they'd listen maybe, but she is too busy to evade capture to risk returning or sending messages that Palpatine sure could have intercepted. Thus no way to tell anybody in time before she was gone with the Vong.Out of all her experience with Jedi, Sith and Potentium she crafted her own view and was truly in the middle.

Legacy comics have Vergere not being a Sith.. merely claiming to be one. Krayt's pov is unreliable since she plays games with him and everything she tells is a lie anyway :p Lumiya too bought her lies when they worked together during the NJO, and sadly Lumiya got Jacen with her own lies and those she believed of Vergere.. that was never the plan though. And it only worked because of Jacen was so involved with many Force cultures from his sojourn that he had already lost Vergeres true teachings before Dark Nest in the mass of philosophies he'd encountered over time.

16. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    ps: and while we are on it... Jacen Solo was right and saved all in the end... turned back to the light/grey in the end. even if some still doubt it. I'd worry more for Jaina.. she is a killer, assassin... pure darksider hiding in Jedi clothes! not even in tune with the force or else she'd listened to it when Jacen turned back to the light and stopped.

17. LivingJediDream

Jul 7, 2010
    I wouldn't conflate Vergere with the Potentium, considering she dismisses it in Destiny's Way.

18. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    true she does when older, but when younger she was influenced by it and her master who followed it too. not saying she was a believer.. but she had a fling and learned from it..

besides.. Destiney's Way Vergere differs from Traitor Vergere sadly already a lot

19. LivingJediDream

Jul 7, 2010
    In what sense do you think her depiction differs between novels?

20. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    we had thousands of pages of discussion about this years ago... her philosophy is off from her Traitor philosophy. but not as much as in Dark Nest or later on. some thought that is because she talks to Luke who is less accepting here than Jacen had been and thus she has to word more careful to not make him misunderstand.. or she tried to lead him step by step to her truth instead of revealing all asap.. thus the difference. first open the door. .then push him through. not push him through with the door closed with enough force :p kinda

21. LivingJediDream

Jul 7, 2010
    Based upon what I've read here, the primary source of belief that there is a difference in Vergere's philosophy is the reading that Vergere is, through Socratic method and questioning of Jacen's ethics, advocating a particular viewpoint, and that in her subsequent conversation with Luke Skywalker she is advocating a different ethical system entirely with regard to self-knowledge of one's passions. I think this comparison is over simplifying things substantially and in more ways than one, as I don't think Vergere is trying to influence Jacen's ethics at all and says as much.

22. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Vergere didn't have anything to do with the Potentium, nor did Thracia Cho Leem. Vergere's only encounter with the Potentium was when she met the Zonamans who believed in it, and she shows no sign of being impressed with their thinking.

rumsmuggler and Zeta1127 like this.
  23. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Including when she's talking about the Force?

24. LivingJediDream

Jul 7, 2010
    "See, the thing is, everything everyone tells you is a lie. The truth is always bigger than the words we use to describe it."

25. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    Turning Jacen into a Sith through Vergere was a very bad choice. I find the thought behind it utterly despicable: Moral relativism = bad; it's either stand with the Jedi or burn in the lake of fire and brimstone.

So, I doubt any future novel would set the record straight. I'd buy it if it was written, but if Vergere pops up again, she's more likely to be tying hapless damsels to train tracks while twirling her mustache than expounding the truth of the Force as completely neutral.

darth fluffy and Zeta1127 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.