main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

When does Luke learn to fly?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Pizza-the-Hutt, Apr 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pizza-the-Hutt

Pizza-the-Hutt Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2002
    We hear Luke say in A New Hope that he's "not a bad pilot" and he seemingly has no problems in grasping the working of the X-Wings. So where does Luke learn these skills? Has Lucas or the EU ever tried to explain this?

PtH

2. zuckuss1138

zuckuss1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2001
    i think he gets some pixie dust one day while cleaning the moisture vaporators....

seriously though, i think most of his piloting experience was with t-16's and stuff like that. perhaps you could explain his being familiar with an x-wing by saying that he practiced a bit between dropping off the plans and the battle.

3. generallee5

generallee5 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 27, 2003
    in the novelization of ANH (and in the data bank at the OS, I think) it says that Luke had a T-16 skyhopper, but he tore it up pretty bad once when flying through Beggar's Canyon.

4. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    He's playing with a model of his T-16 when talking to Threepio in ANH. He's been flying for a while. If I am not mistaken, you can take a peek at his T-16 in the background of the Lars garage.

5. fosh-bantus88

fosh-bantus88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 2003
    there probaly arnt any age laws on tatooine, so im guessing he started flying around in that old speeder at about the same age as anakin was podracing.

6. Zethlin_Maximus

Zethlin_Maximus Jedi Youngling star 4

May 31, 2003
    Where does Luke learn to fly? He taught himself.

7. Lukes_Lightsaber

Lukes_Lightsaber Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Right! Luke and Fixer and the gang would have Skyhopper races around Beggar's Canyon. Luke's a good mechanic, so he probably had the sweetest Skyhopper around!

8. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    He probably wasn't racing pods at eight like his dad, but I could imagine Luke taking up piloting T-16s at around 14-15 (just a guess).

9. Yazid_Skywalker

Yazid_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2002
    yeah, shooting womp rats must have took lots of flight experience especially in a canyon.

10. captveg

captveg Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 19, 2001
    He also had a good enough reputation for being a good pilot because Obi-Wan heard about it.

11. Yazid_Skywalker

Yazid_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2002
    Obi wan dun need to hear bout his reputation. he's been watching him all the time.

12. Leias_love_slave

Leias_love_slave Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2003
    (bad joke - never mind.) :D

13. Plo_Koen

Plo_Koen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    If I am not mistaken, you can take a peek at his T-16 in the background of the Lars garage.

Yes, I never noticed this until recently.

14. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    He flew his T-16 in Beggar's Canyon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.