main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

When does Obi Wan (or Yoda) learn that Vader survived?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by ztn, Jun 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ztn

ztn Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 5, 2005
    It's not quite clear at the end of ROTS. You must assume Obi Wan thought he was leaving Vader for dead on Mustafar. Then, there's no indication that Obi or Yoda realize he survived before the movie ends.

Then in ANH, it seems clear (at least to me) that Obi Wan knows Vader is alive when he's giving Luke a history lesson on Tatooine and he definitely knows Vader is alive when they're on the Death Star.

Is there an official account for this question? Please no imaginative theories!

2. Genrader

Genrader Jedi Master star 3

Sep 12, 2003
    As far as I know, there is nothing official, it's just too obvious that in 20+ years they would hear of the Emperor's right hand man.

Plus, Bail Organa was in the Imperial Senate and kept in contact with them at first--I'm sure he heard of it.

3. ztn

ztn Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 5, 2005
    how do we know that Bail kept in touch with him after episode 3??

4. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Well, they knew he was called Vader...

We don't know specifically when Yoda went in exile (whether it was before or after the suited Vader made his debut), so he theoretically could have heard about it before making his way to Dagobah. Obi-Wan would have to visit Mos Eisley (or wherever you're going!) from time to time to stock up on supplies, so I'm sure he would have heard the name there.

And for all we know, Qui-Gon could have told them about what happened.

5. walrus

walrus Jedi Youngling star 2

May 24, 2005
    I think it was inevitable to know that . . . I mean, once Palps reorganizes the Republic into the Empire, it was never meant to keep his right hand, Vader, as a secret right??
    And in civilizations that advanced (technologically and socially) I'm sure that information like this traveled faster than light speed. And, as someone said before, in ROTS they already knew about Vader short after Anakin's definitive turn to the dark side, so it was kinda obvious.

It's like here everybody knows who Dick Cheney is.

6. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    walrus posted on 6/15/05 10:17pm
    It's like here everybody knows who Dick Cheney is.
    [hr][/blockquote] Or so we'd like to think, anyway. I love when they have the gameshow bloopers shows, and they go around asking people on the street if they know who/what random things are... I specifically remember the question "Who is the Vice President?" being asked and hardly anyone knowing.

(Not to take away from your point of course... just pointing out the stupidity of some people. ;) )

7. walrus

May 24, 2005
    well, but we're talking about Obi Wan and Yoda. It's like if Cheney's teachers and political counselers didn't know who he was. Of course there are ignorant people everywhere but that wasn't my point at all. I was only generalizing when I said "everybody knows who cheney is", in the sense that everybody that knows him or knew him, know he's vicepresident, and it should be the same with Vader . . .I guess.

8. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    haha, I got what you meant, and I agree with you. If Obi-Wan or Yoda heard the name "Vader," they'd immediately know something was going on.

And now that I think about it, Obi-Wan would have been able to sense what was going on with Anakin/Vader through the Force to some extent, and would have known if he had died.

9. walrus

May 24, 2005
    exactly. Besides, is there a point in keeping Vader anonimous? or secret in some way?
    I really don't think so, Obi Wan is dead for them (Vader seems surprised to sense his presence in ANH) and nobody knows what happens to Yoda . . . .. also, they know Palps takes over everything and, as it was said in TPM, the sith always comes in 2, master and aprentice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.