main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

When does Star Wars Reference our Galaxy.

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by WhiskeyGold, May 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Today on the radio they asked this trivia question about Star Wars.

When in the Star Wars movies, or movie, does it reference our world, or galaxy you could say?

They got me, I saw like they never have!

The answer, the line "A long time again in a Galaxy Far Far Away..."

the "Time" in this line reference's our time. Also the line "Galaxy Far Far Away" means it is far from something, what is that something? Our Galaxy.

So I guess they are right, they do Reference our world/galaxy. Trick Question I say

Fool me once, Shame on you. Fool me twice.. you know

2. Minela

Minela Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 28, 2005
    Hmm, I always knew they were referencing us when they said, "a long time ago, in a Galaxy far, far away..." but I couldn't have answerd that question, I just wouildn't have thought of it, I would beat my brains out trying to remember all scenes in Star Wars.

3. block

block Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2004
    What about when Han says "Then I'll see you in Hell!!" It's not referencing our galaxy directly, but it references our religious beliefs.

4. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    What, actually, according to the EU, the GFFA does have its own hell, but that's EU material.

I always thought Han's "crop-dusting" line was fairly Earth-oriented. I can see where it would likely be used in the GFFA, too, but the way and to whom Han says it gives it a very terran feel.

5. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    IN "Heir to the Empire", Luke is drinking chocolate milk. He said Lando got it from somewhere, but it's origins were "shady".

6. The_Little_Red_Jedi

The_Little_Red_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2004
    Humans exist in both our galaxy, and a GFFA.

7. Jedi_Knight_Jonas

Jedi_Knight_Jonas Jedi Master star 3

Sep 26, 2003
    I would have never gotten the answer either.

8. Jedi_Aero-Stone

Jedi_Aero-Stone Jedi Youngling

May 5, 2005
    In TPM, Anakin calls himself a HUMAN. And in the Classic Trilogy, there are a few American Astronauts in the background in one of the bar scenes. There's also an American Flag on their space suits.

9. Darth_Digital

Darth_Digital Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
    I often wondered if the 'galaxy' shown through the Medical frigate window near the end of Ep5 was in fact the milky way...

10. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    But I do have to give them credit for a hard trivia question. I never got it and being a Star Wars nut face I was shocked that they got me.

11. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    There are both ducks and dogs in our galaxy and in the GFFA. However, there are no ducks on Tatooine because in ANH novel, Luke asked Ben what a duck was when Ben made a reference to one.

12. Minela

Minela Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 28, 2005
    I always wonderd how in GFFA they had humans on all sorts of different planets, Naboo, Tatooine, Alderean etc. Shouldn't they call them something else? I guess that wouldn't make much sense in the movies though.

13. JediCourier

JediCourier Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2001
    And in the Classic Trilogy, there are a few American Astronauts in the background in one of the bar scenes. There's also an American Flag on their space suits.

a) There's only one bar scene
    2) That's Danz Borin
    [image=http://www.artoosnews.com/artooscustoms/imagearchive/images/characters/misc/danz_borin.jpg]
    iii) While he is wearing a modified movieprop replica of either a Gemini or Mercury spacesuit from some earlier movie I forget, there is most definitely no American flag

14. CDR_Praji

CDR_Praji Jedi Youngling star 2

May 12, 2005
    Ah the ambiguity.

It's entirely possible that the time and place references have nothing to do with us at all.

It's entirely possible that the reference could be from the point of view of the mysterious Whills. ( If you have been around as a fan for awhile, you'll know what I mean by the Saga of the First Journal of the Whills.)

On the other hand, Uncle George in spinning this 28 year old bed time story could be speaking about us.

15. MilkManX

MilkManX Jedi Youngling

Apr 13, 2005
    Actually from what I heard that is Kamino. The one Obi-Wan went to in Episode II.

"I often wondered if the 'galaxy' shown through the Medical frigate window near the end of Ep5 was in fact the milky way... "

16. The_Little_Red_Jedi

Nov 3, 2004
    Kamino isn't a galaxy. I'm pretty sure they're looking at their own galaxy. There's no reason they'd be that far away from home at that time.

Also, they all actually speak "English". I'm not sure if anyone refers to the name of the language in the films, but isn't it just meant to be called 'basic'?

Anyway, it's still English.

17. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    "I often wondered if the 'galaxy' shown through the Medical frigate window near the end of Ep5 was in fact the milky way... "

I've always thought that same thing. I does look just like it.

18. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Basic is not English, it's just translated into English so we can understand it ;)

The galaxy at the end of TESB isn't a galaxy at all. It's something like the Rishi Maze. At least that's what I read and am willing to believe. You do see a couple of those things on the star map in AotC.

19. JSnyder

JSnyder Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 25, 2005
    >>It's something like the Rishi Maze<<
    The guys who designed it called it a nebula.

20. The_Little_Red_Jedi

Nov 3, 2004
    Whilst it may have been called a Nebula by those who made it, it is most certainly not one!

Here is the only picture I could find of it:
    http://wso.williams.edu/~rfoxwell/starwars/pics/Cliffhanger.jpg

Here is a Galaxy:
    http://www.zipcon.net/~purtill/pigs-and-toasters/galaxy.jpg

Here is a Nebula:
    http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/9911/crab_vlt_big.jpg

I'm willing to bet they left the Galaxy for a little while after the events of TESB to "avoid any Imperial Entanglements..."

21. Darth_Digital

Darth_Digital Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
    Yeah, in retrospect its fairly obvious that the galaxy they're looking at is clearly the SW galaxy. Ergo, the Falcon speeding towards it when departing the rebel fleet.

Hding out beyond the borders of the said galaxy makes sense, as its the best place to hide from the Empire.

Considering the speed of hyperdrive, as say, compared to a more 'realistic/Trek' speed scale, the ships of Star Wars could easily get from one side of the gaalxy to the other in a matter of hours/days.

Leaving the galaxy...probably weeks.

And it IS a galaxy they're looking at. Note the tell tale signs of a larger cluster/mass within its centre. Billions upon billions of older stars. The farther the reach, the younger the stars themselves.

If I recall my basic astrononmy correectly, the GFFA is a spiral type galaxy, sans any 'celestial arms' unlike our own Milky Way that apparently has at least 3 spiral arms.

22. The_Little_Red_Jedi

Nov 3, 2004
    Actually I think the GFFA is more of a Lenticular galaxy - it has a large mass in the centre, but no visible spiral arms.

http://mt.sopris.net/mpc/biol/v/lenticular.galaxy.jpg

23. CuppaJoe

CuppaJoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 24, 2002
    "Basic is not English, it's just translated into English so we can understand it wink "

What makes you think thaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

:p

24. JediMasterChiefYoda

JediMasterChiefYoda Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2003
    Maybe Basic is like that language Kang and Kodus (Simpsons Halloween Special) langauge. It's not, technically, English, but they are basically the same language.

25. Plo_Koen

Plo_Koen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    Star Wars is a dramatized retelling of a true story. For the convenience of the audience the actors are speaking English.

That's the way I see it. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.