main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

When does the next Gamer ship?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by IAmTheDarkSide, Feb 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    Mine came today.

2. Face Loran

Face Loran Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 1999
    So anyone want to post Face Loran's info, if there is any? I'd really appreciate it. :D

3. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    I got it. I usually like Joe Corroney's art, but those Wraith pics are awful...

And there's no new info on Face, just a basic summary of how he was a child actor, he kept the scar, yadayada. It doesn't even mention him getting it removed; his bio ends with him joining the alliance. And the pic is terrible.

4. Face Loran

Mar 21, 1999
    Darn, that's lame. Is there any info on any new Wraiths?

5. IAmTheDarkSide

Jan 9, 2002
    Nope :( I only skimmed the article, but I didn't even notice any reference to the fact that they're no longer a Starfighter unit. It just gave some basic background on each of them and a little insert of the Thakwaash.

6. Face Loran

Mar 21, 1999
    That's disappointing. Since the Wraith's are going to appear in the upcoming books, I thought for sure they would attempt to tell us a little about what they've been doing for the last 15 years.

7. Mandalore74

Mandalore74 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2001
    Anybody have nay idea when Gamer is going to be in my mailbox? Its my first issue and I am excited for it!

8. IAmTheDarkSide

Jan 9, 2002
    To answer a question with a question: When will then be now?

9. IAmTheDarkSide

Jan 9, 2002
    Well I must say this issue was VERY disappointing. The only thing I even moderately enjoyed in it was Dark Tidings.

10. The Cat

The Cat Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 24, 2000
    It did have some cool info on Ewoks characters. Noa (Wilford Brimley) got a last name- Noa Briqualon. Charal is indeed a human ex-Nightsister, and her shapeshifting ability is a Force trick "Jedi researchers have yet to fully understand." She's well over 100 years old in the Battle for Endor . We learn that the Marauders are Sanyassan.

Also of interest is the fact that, according to the game data, Terak speaks only Sanyassan and Basic, while Charal speaks only Basic and Ewokese. It was formerly asserted that the language spoken by the Toawnis was not Basic, all in an attempt to explain why Wicket does not speak Basic in RotJ. Since both Terak and Charal converse with Cindel, and eachother, it seems they were indeed all speaking Basic.

11. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Totally cool.

"and her shapeshifting ability is a Force trick "Jedi researchers have yet to fully understand."

They won't ever understand it considering the ring that did the abilities was destroyed and in the blast turned terak to stone.

"Also of interest is the fact that, according to the game data, Terak speaks only Sanyassan and Basic, while Charal speaks only Basic and Ewokese. It was formerly asserted that the language spoken by the Toawnis was not Basic, all in an attempt to explain why Wicket does not speak Basic in RotJ. Since both Terak and Charal converse with Cindel, and eachother, it seems they were indeed all speaking Basic."

So does this mean that cindel spoke to wicket in ewokese? Then spoke in basic to everyone else? Or maybe wicket didn't trust the Leia and friends enough to want to speak in basic to them during rotj and later on. Or maybe after so many years of not using basic, he lost the ability to use it?

So many hypotheses, and any of them could have been what happened.

12. The Cat

Mar 24, 2000
    "They won't ever understand it considering the ring that did the abilities was destroyed and in the blast turned terak to stone. "

Exactly. Ros Lai of the Infinitie's End comic could shapeshift too, but only into an ugly humanoid. The ring, probably the stone in it, was the real source of the power, and probably what enabled the horse to change shape.

13. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    "Exactly. Ros Lai of the Infinitie's End comic could shapeshift too, but only into an ugly humanoid. The ring, probably the stone in it, was the real source of the power, and probably what enabled the horse to change shape."

Yes, I totally agree with you.

Though the wildlife of star wars surmises that all dathomirian witches, and horses have the ability to shape shift. Of course that could just be his hypothesis, considering he has no hard evidence, beyond charal's extremly powerful shapeshifting, and Ros Lai's limited shape shifting(I haven't read that comic yet, but what you described sounded a lot like the illusion of the type that queen pulled off in snow white).

Kind of like how he says that orbalisks form armor on their "Hosts", even though most sources say that Darth Bane is the only known one that survived orbalisk's poison.

14. The Cat

Mar 24, 2000
    It does seem quite suspect that a non-sentient creature- and a horse at that- could have the ability to shapeshift. It seems likely that what was described in "Wildlife" and in that B&W reference book (Guide to the Star Wars Universe, perhaps?)was that the horse has the ability to be shapeshifted; that the witches had techniques not only for disguising themselves but also their mounts.

At least we finally have some answers regarding Charal!

15. ParanoidAni-droid

ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001

Didn't Sansweet explain the whole Wicket not knowing basic thing? I seem to remember one of the Jedi Council addressing it. That it was in fact another language all together that Cindel was speaking. But then again I could be nuts and just gave in to wishful thinking!

16. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Noa (Wilford Brimley) got a last name- Noa Briqualon. Charal is indeed a human ex-Nightsister, and her shapeshifting ability is a Force trick "Jedi researchers have yet to fully understand." She's well over 100 years old in the Battle for Endor . We learn that the Marauders are Sanyassan.

Finally! As a fan of the Ewok movies and cartoon, I'm glad that I finally get more details on these characters.

It was formerly asserted that the language spoken by the Toawnis was not Basic, all in an attempt to explain why Wicket does not speak Basic in RotJ. Since both Terak and Charal converse with Cindel, and eachother, it seems they were indeed all speaking Basic.

The original explanation for that was one of the dumbest things I've ever heard of anyway. It sounded like a crackpot fan theory and I always ignored it. If Mace and Cindel weren't speaking Basic, you might as well say Han and Luke weren't in the OT...

So does this mean that cindel spoke to wicket in ewokese? Then spoke in basic to everyone else? Or maybe wicket didn't trust the Leia and friends enough to want to speak in basic to them during rotj and later on. Or maybe after so many years of not using basic, he lost the ability to use it?

He never knew that much anyway. Only a few words here and there. Never any full sentences.

From what we know, Battle for Endor ( the one that has Wicket speaking Basic the most ) takes place shortly before, after, and/or during ESB, according to Dan Wallace in "Lucas' Legacy" ( Sci-Fi Invasion magazine, summer 1997 )

Now, if I were to spend about 6 months learning Spanish, and knew some key words and phrases, but certainly couldn't speak it fluenty...and then I completely stop after a year, I may not remember much of it very clearly, and might not even bother if coming across someone from Mexico.

Also, Ewoks are not very smart. Going by RPG stats, their Knowledge attribute is very low compared to Humans. Looking at Wicket's own stats in Galaxy Guide 5 : Return of the Jedi shows that his Knowledge is 2D, and he doesn't even have the Languages skill. So even if he did try to communicate with Leia, he likely wouldn't succeed.

Didn't Sansweet explain the whole Wicket not knowing basic thing? I seem to remember one of the Jedi Council addressing it. That it was in fact another language all together that Cindel was speaking. But then again I could be nuts and just gave in to wishful thinking!

I wish. If anything, it shows that Sansweet isn't the most trustworthy source when it comes to continuity. ::coughJasterMereelcough::

17. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Yes the different language theory was mentioned on the official site in a couple of places:

Ewok Adventures

A timeline published in the Star Wars Insider places the Ewok movies as happening a short time before Return of the Jedi. There is no Imperial presence visible on Endor, suggesting the films take place before the Death Star operation began in earnest. Also, Wicket appears to learn english through his association with Cindel. It is likely that the language Cindel was speaking was not Basic, but another language, and that it was translated into english for the benefit of the viewing audience. Thus, Wicket doesn't understand what Princess Leia is saying when those two meet. Also featured extensively in the films was Ewokese, the language developed by Ben Burtt for the Ewoks.

Jocasta nu

December 10, 2001
    "If Return of the Jedi comes after the Ewok movies, then how come Wicket can't understand Leia?
    As explained in this starwars.com article:

"... Wicket appears to learn English through his association with Cindel. It is likely that the language Cindel was speaking was not Basic, but another language, and that it was translated into English for the benefit of the viewing audience. Thus, Wicket doesn't understand what Princess Leia is saying when those two meet."

18. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    After this and the Kessel Run "explanation", I think that Jocasta Nu is missing a few bytes in her Holocron, if you know what I mean.

19. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Well, her kessel run explanation actually came from a EU source, the Technical journal. So it is our job to fit at least that into continuity somehow.

20. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    It's okay. The Kessel Run didn't contradict anything, per se. It's just not the exact version of how Han did it, or it was an alternate way.

Either way, it appears that Jocasta Nu didn't search her memory well enough, or it wasn't updated with later information. ;)

21. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Well, it's possible that this game is played, but this is not the way that han won his record. But it's possible others have gotten close to his record by playing this game rather than getting close to the maw. It's even possible he has gotten close to the record previously by playing this game. But it wasn't until his jump by the maw that he truly won the record. Tech journal is an eu source so it has to be saved if a fix can be made.

22. The Cat

Mar 24, 2000
    Well, I watched Battle for Endor today, and learned some interesting things. First, the RPG stats aren't quite right. Charal, who according to the stats can speak only Ewokese and Basic, speaks Sanyassan with Terak a few times. Perhaps she does not speak it all that fluently. What is not possible is that the characters are not speaking Basic. For example, Noa speaks with Terak. Noa Briqualon, according to his stats, speaks nine languages, none of which are Sanyassan. The only language they all share is Basic. The one explanation that makes sense is that Wicket forgot the few phrases he knew.

Also, yesterday I missed this paragraph from the aricle:

Charal's magic ring gives her the ability to to take the form of a giant raven-like bird. The exact origins of the ring or how it found its way into CHaral's hands are unkonwn. It is probably the result of early experiments performed with Sith sorcery millennia ago. Charal can, as an attack action, change form using the ring. She can also change form as part of a jump (also an attack action), using her bird form's fly speed to calculate the dstance.

23. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    I always get my friggin' Gamer later than anyone else, and I subscribe. :(

24. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    I get it really late myself.

25. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    I just new that charal's ring was either a sith artifact or some alien construct, glad to hear it's of sith origin.

Did it by chance talk about the secondary power of the ring of it changing terak to stone(as it shows in the movie, and described in eg to characters)? Also as I recall when she takes on the look of a beautiful princess, she had twisted her ring a bit to activate that illusion.

Though giant-raven like bird is kind of an exaggeration. She was no bigger than most ravens. Infact it was described and said to be a raven in EG to characters, as well as EU article on the official site.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.