main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

When does Vader become Anakin Skywalker again?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by VadersApprentince007, Feb 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VadersApprentince007

VadersApprentince007 Jedi Youngling

Feb 22, 2005
    Heres a question that doesnt have exactly to do with Episode III, but I'll ask it anyway in hoping for an answer.

When does darth Vader realize what the evil he has done and once again become Anakin Skywalker in mind, body, and soul?

Empire Striker Back-
    "That is where Young Skywalker is. Admeral prepare your men we are leaving to the Hoth systems."

"He is the son of Anakin Skywalker."
    -"How can this be true my master"
    "Search you feelings Lord Vader, you will know it to be true"

Return of the Jedi-
    "There is still good in you father. I can feel it, search your feelings father. You know it to be true."
    -"Luke, there is no saving me now you are now the Emporers. He is not as forgiving as I"

Vader knew Luke was his son before Empire even began, he told the Emporer the Young Skywalker will turned or be killed. Vader had many a chances to kill Luke, what if he knew that Luke was the only one that could defeat the Emporer? What if Darth Vader had been Anakin even in A New Hope when he said "The Force is strong with this one" and had again many chances to kill Luke with one shot of his TIE. What if Anakin has built this entire plan to defeat the Emporer since Episode III. He knew his kin were the last hope when he joined Palpatine-What if Anakin Skywalker never truelly was defeated and turned...was he good the entire series?

Yes his actions of killing Jedis and just doing plainly evil things was horrible but what if he developed a power to make Palpatine believe he was bad, just like Palpy had the ability to cloak his Sith roots from Yoda and Mace...

Anakin knew he was the Chosen One that would bring balance to the Force. In which he did at the end of ROTJ when he threw Palpy over the bridge to the reactor. So this question is, when did he realize that he had the power to stand up and defeat Palpatine?When did Darth Vader once again only answer to the name Anakin Skywalker?

2. Maranelo_Jori

Maranelo_Jori Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 22, 2004
    Well,choking people and cutting hand of his son,dont seem like goodnes.

3. Saberwielder315

Saberwielder315 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    I think there is alreasy a thread on this.

4. VadersApprentince007

Feb 22, 2005
    That wasnt the question...But thanks for your input anyway.

Choking people was a mean of intimidation and he only used it on back talking and cocky Imperials. Never did he choke Luke, or Obi Wan? And did he kill Luke when he cut his hand off? No, he made him defenseless so he could Luke the truth without Luke going on spazz alert with a lightsaber in his hand and traveling down the dark path like he did so many years ago. He preventing Luke from dealing with the truth in a harmful way by cutting off is hand...damn Lucas is a genious!

5. Harabec

Harabec Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2001
    The moment that he decides to take Palpatine's shock treatment to save Luke's life. Simple as that.

6. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    When he threw Palpatine over the railing, that was the climax.

I believe he started to ponder to himself about the whole Dark Side thing when Luke said to him on Endor, "Then my father is truly dead." When he says that, he leaves, and then Vader walks over to the railing and sits there, as if questioning what Luke had said.

7. VadersApprentince007

Feb 22, 2005
    I truelly believe that Anakin Skywalker sometime developed the ability to cloak himself and his good intentions from Sidious. Just like Sidious cloaked his Sith roots from Yoda and Mace in the PT. Darth Vader was plotting the day that Luke would become a Jedi (Like his father before him) and complete the prophecy.

Vader/Anakin = Never completely evil except in the eyes of Mace Windu. Even Yoda forgives Anakin in ROTJ.

8. Baitshop

Baitshop Jedi Youngling

Oct 23, 2003
    "Vader/Anakin = Never completely evil except in the eyes of Mace Windu. Even Yoda forgives Anakin in ROTJ."

Hey, that was my line from the other post! ha ha

9. BATTLELION

BATTLELION Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 6, 2005
    Well, I have some thoughts on this matter.

I speak just from Canon films alone.

Well, Though Luke has felt good in Vader all along through ROTJ, which could imply that Vader was good all along, it is somewhat contradicted by Vader's counter:

"That name no longer has any meaning for me."

Luke did feel good and CONFLICT in Vader, who only refuted it because he didn't wish Luke to gain any advantage over him. Later we saw that Vader probed Luke's feelings and thoughts and he turned the tables, but Vader was not entirely evil. WE know that.

He did not aknowlege Anakin as his name. But, I think he regained his true former self when he saw the Emperor destroying Luke. Vader expressed no real allegiance to him in ESB, as his true feelings were to join with Luke and depose of the Emperor.

Vader became Anakin at this moment.

It will be interesting to see what happens in EPIII (I unfortunately read a spoiler by accident--phoey), that changes this young man into Vader.

ROTJ will be a very good movie to watch right afterward ROTS.

10. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    There was always a little good in Vader,but it only began to show itself when he was aware Luke was alive.

In Esb,he cannot destroy Luke,that is certain.In ROTJ,Luke says he feels the conflict within him,exposing that he's still somewhat good.

You can actually see that when the Emporer is frying Luke,Vader is looking at them,trying to choose. When He finally steps up and throws the emporer down and sacrifices his life for his sons,is when he accepts he is still Anakin Skywalker.

11. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    "When he threw Palpatine over the railing"

In my opinion it's somewhere during the back and forth right before that, but in essence, I agree with this. That's exactly where he becomes Anakin again. There are a lot of moments earlier where he has doubts and much thoughts (beginning right at the end of TESB), but seeing as his last lines before getting his hand cut off are pure evil, I see it as impossible for him to be Anakin before that.

12. Darth Kruel

Darth Kruel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    When he comes to the realization that he must prevent the Emperor from killing Luke.

13. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    next thursday.

CLone

14. Eugene_Meltsner_AIO

Eugene_Meltsner_AIO Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2002
    I've got some ideas brewing here--I'm sorry if I don't articulate them very well.

I wonder if at some point between ROTS and ANH, Vader was subtly angry with Palpatine--realized that he had manipulated him--for all that had happened. Then when he found out about Luke, perhaps he saw an opportunity to kill Palpatine and then rise up with Luke to power. Hm...

I believe this could have partially opened the door to the major conflict he had throughout the trilogy. In ANH, between Obi-Wan's prescence on the DS and Luke in the battle, I think that's when the inner turmoil really started to kick in full gear, and only intensified through ESB, and climaxing in ROTJ. I think that possibly all through ESB he was beginning to wonder--perhaps actions such as the torturing of Han were to try to convince Palpatine (and himself?) that he was evil, trying to hold back the good in him that was picking at him all the while. Then in ROTJ, he finally talked to Luke, and ended up having to make a decision, and decided to help Luke. At that moment, I agree, is when he really became Anakin again.

15. SITHlover

SITHlover Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 30, 2002
    I think the actual moment is when he is watching Luke get fried and looks to Palps and back to Luke, the actual change comes when he makes the mental decision to go for Palps and save his son. The way I see it is Anakin has, so far, always feared losing the people he loves, him mother and Padme (I know nothing of ep. III) in RotJ it's Anakin who can not stand by and lose Luke so as Anakin, not Vader, he does something about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.