main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

When does Vader find out he has a Son?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by jimbostank, Jun 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimbostank

jimbostank Jedi Youngling

Jun 5, 2005
    At what point to you think he finds out Luke is his son? Do you think he knows once he faces Obi-Wan? Also when does he figure out that Leia is Luke's twin? Dont you think he would feel something when he had her capitve in episode IV?

Mater Jimbo

2. ConcordDawn

ConcordDawn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    He finds out when the Emperor tells him, "I have no doubt that this boy is the offspring of Anakin Skywalker."

3. OogieGagaSolo

OogieGagaSolo Jedi Youngling

Jun 5, 2005
    In ESB when Darth Vader contacts the Emperor. Actually, Vader always knew he had a son, he just didn't know it was Luke.

4. CaptainTypho

CaptainTypho Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 13, 2001
    COME ON GUYS! You're all wrong. Vader found out between A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back. We know from the opening scroll that he is obsessed with finding young Skywalker and later he says "That's it the Rebels are there, and I'm sure Skywalker is with them." Why is he obsessed with searching for Skywalker? Because that his son. Same name was the first sign. When Palpatine contacts Vader he is already looking for Luke. He found out about him before the Emperor did and was going to try to get him to join him and overtake the Emperor, like he tries anyway. When Vader speaks with the Emperor he pretends to know less than he does because he was plotting against his master. It is weird that such a revalation is left for of screen between movies.

5. jdijade

jdijade Jedi Youngling star 2

May 23, 2005

Luke's heroics in the Battle of Yavin were pretty well known. Isn't it possible that Imperial intelligence could have coughed up the name of the force-strong kid who blew up the Death Star prior to the Emperor's ESB holo contact?

6. jimbostank

jimbostank Jedi Youngling

Jun 5, 2005
    How about Leia? How could he not feel something when she was on the death star talking with him?

7. DarthSidious1

DarthSidious1 Jedi Youngling

Jul 1, 2002
    I deffinitely think that Vader figured it out in between episodes 4 and 5, but I am really disappointed the the DVD inserted Emperor dialogue seems to imply that the Emperor told him. I think that it is much more interesting in the originals.

8. THEFORCEISWITHME33

THEFORCEISWITHME33 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    Sure wish we could've seen his first reaction when he does find out about Luke, though.

9. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Think "WHAAAAAT!", when he says it in ANH :p

I like how it's done with the revised ESB scene...we know from the opening scroll and Vader's assertion that "Skywalker is there" that he knows about who Luke is.

But now he seems to play dumb when the Emperor brings it up. He doesn't want the Big Cheese knowing about this yet! Luke could help him overthrow the Emperor, as Vader had always planned.

So he plays dumb. And Palpatine tells him to "search his feelings, you know it be true", which sounds like the Galactic Empire version of "don't mess me around, sonny jim, I'm onto you."

Now that Vader knows the secret is out, he instead convinces Palpatine to recruit Luke rather than just killing him.

10. Tho Yor

Tho Yor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    CaptainTypho and DamonD have got it down. Vader said, in the trenches, 'the Force is strong with this one', and when that pilot managed to blow up the Death Star it piqued Vader's interest - more so when he found out that the pilot's name was Skywalker!
    The ESB crawl and 'I'm sure Skywalker is with them' say it all - Vader knew, and when he said 'how is that possible?' to the Emperor he was lying through his helmet.
    I like the new scene for that added subtext. It shows that Vader has been plotting to overthrow Sidious as he told Padme he would.

11. DarthJohnkenobi

DarthJohnkenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2004
    The ESB crawl and 'I'm sure Skywalker is with them' say it all - Vader knew, and when he said 'how is that possible?' to the Emperor he was lying through his helmet.
    I like the new scene for that added subtext. It shows that Vader has been plotting to overthrow Sidious as he told Padme he would.

Come to think of it, this adds further weight to the end of ROTS when Palps tells Vader Padme is dead. Vader doesn't believe him right off, Palps lies, Vader screams "Nooooooooooo". Sowing the seeds of deception early in Vader and Palps relationship. Hmmm, this saga gets better all the time.

12. d_arblay

d_arblay Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2005
    I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Empire was re-cut slightly, with the mention of Luke from the opening crawl being re-written along with Vader's line about him being cut. It's not that far-fetched. And I'd quite like it.

I think after ROTS, Vader's discovery of Luke's existence is too important a scene to be left for bewteen the movies. It's a pivotal moment for the character and would work much better in regard to the 'How is that possible?' scene. It'd make it much more powerful.

You could also argue that Vader already knew of Luke and was plotting against the Emperor but why then does he want to freeze Luke to take to the Emperor? He only decides he wants Luke to join him after he realises how powerful he has become during the rest of the duel.

People talk about plotholes with ROTS but really, with or without the prequels, ESB doesn't hold up to too much scrutiny either.

13. Nihilist

Nihilist Jedi Youngling star 2

May 8, 2005
    He knows after ANH and in ESB I imagine it's all playing the situation.

Plan A- find this kid who is my son, he has my last name, that's strange, let's see what's up, maybe we can kill the emperor.

The emperor tells vader he knows about luke so vader plans along with him.

Plan B- Okay better play along, what if he can join us, I'll freeze him and take him to you, we'll see what happens, hey if he won't join, I'll kill him.

He can't get luke frozen.

Plan C- tell him you're his father, see what happens, maybe he'll join you..and you can kill the emperor..no, okay. He doesn't kill him, luke let's himself fall and they all meet up in ROTJ.

14. Darth-Jedi-Master

Darth-Jedi-Master Jedi Master star 5

Jun 2, 2005
    If I did not see the PT I would say Darth always new he had a child but did not know who it was because that is how it seemed and as for Luke he was a nobody in his homeland until he went on his adventure with his new droids and joined the rebels he made a name for him self. I would say that is when Lord Vader knew.
    Like Da Luke Skywalker!

After ROTS there are a lot of discrepancies on this subject so it would be hard to explain
    Because Lord Vader thought the child died with Padmen if u notice at the end of the movie she is in her coffin Pregnant but I guess the Force is bigger then we can explain, may be he just simply felt it

15. SithMaster83

SithMaster83 Jedi Master star 2

Jan 13, 2005
    look the reason Vader tried to freeze luke was that once Palps was on to Luke being Vader's son he really didnt have much of a choice....he had to obey his master and hunt luke down...all while hoping that luke would join him and help him take down palps

16. Boba_Darzel

Boba_Darzel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    i remember somewhere in the EU it says he finds out after ANH, i believe the book may have been splinter in the minds eye. Apparently he tortured a rebel pilot to figure outn the name of Luke.
    Thats an EU explaination, but obviously he could figure things out in between ANH and ESB, find out the pilots name and thats that.
    He definitely knows before the emperor tells him; albeit a little curious as to how it happened.

17. DarthSurge

DarthSurge Jedi Youngling star 1

May 30, 2005
    Vader finds luke is really his son in ESB when the emperor advices him we have a new enemy.

Vader finds out about leia in ROTJ when he reads lukes mind when he is hiding and refusing to fight him

end of story

18. Flashlight_Duelist

Flashlight_Duelist Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2005
    I am really disappointed the the DVD inserted Emperor dialogue seems to imply that the Emperor told him. I think that it is much more interesting in the originals.

When I was younger I saw the LD version of the Star Wars saga and I don't recall the Emperor dialogue being any different than it is now.

Unfortunately I no longer have access to the LD version so I can't go back to check.

19. SithMaster83

SithMaster83 Jedi Master star 2

Jan 13, 2005
    Vader finds luke is really his son in ESB when the emperor advices him we have a new enemy.

WHAT ARE U TALKING ABOUT how do u explain this line in the opening scroll "the evil lord darth vader...obsessed with finding young SKYWALKER".....or this line in the movie BFORE he talks to the emperor..."thats it...the rebels are there...and im sure SKYWALKER is with them"....he knew BFORE he talked to Palps...END OF STORY

20. ClonedEmperor

ClonedEmperor Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2005
    Yes, in the marvel star wars comic series, Vader was obsessed with finding out who destroyed the Star. He eventually d it/ "encouraged" it out of a dying rebel. The first time he tried to find out, he was thwarted by a cyborg bounty hunter named Valiance, who fought with him to protect Lukes identity, but was killed when vader pushed him into a molten lake (kinda ironic aint it?)

21. kipliq

kipliq Jedi Youngling

Jun 2, 2005
    The emp in EP3 told vader at the end he had killed padmea and her unborn child died also. There are many force sensative people in the world not only luke and leia. Like eveyone said he finds out between EP4 and 5.

22. kttch809

kttch809 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 28, 2005
    "You know Skywalker, I had a difficult time finding out that it was you who shot up my TIE fighter above the Death Star station. Rebellion spies are hard and expensive to come by. I also found out it was you who released the torpedo that destroyed the station. You have a great deal to atone for to me. I've waited a long time."

-- Vader in Splinter of the Mind's Eye

23. JediMasterKitFisto

JediMasterKitFisto Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 27, 2002
    I'm sure Luke got some fame for destroying the Death Star. I think Vader is smart enough to make the connection.

With Leia, I think Vader could sense Luke thinking about her in ROTJ right before he starts talking about her.

24. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    Right, about Leia... Vader doesn't find out until ROTj that he actually has two children rather than one. It's a bit surprising that they apparently don't do ultrasound scans in the SW universe, but Anakin and Padmé only mention one child.

25. d_arblay

d_arblay Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2005
    Nobody is really wrong or right here, but if I were you I'd be prepared for a re-edit of Empire. I believe Vader's line "I'm sure Skywalker is with them" will go and the opening crawl will be adjusted. People will moan about it but I think it helps the story

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.