main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

When 'Episode IV: A New Hope' was just...STAR WARS

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Icebreaker, Jun 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SkyWookiee

SkyWookiee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2003
    You might want to go to Basher's Sanctuary to say PT is poop.

2. JediNdaCity

JediNdaCity Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2002
    I have to say now after viewing an old 1990 VHS copy of ESB recently that there is a legit argument for the original versions of the films to be available. I don't know, but in watching that version of the film I felt more....connected. By that I mean I felt this was the film I knew and remember growing up with. It felt more organic and it seemed to flow editorially a lot better. I've been watching the SE for over seven years now and have gotten used to them, to the point that I put my original versions up and have not looked at them again since this week. And now going back I can compare the pros and cons and there are things in the ESB SE that just don't, from an editorial standpoint, work. The whole Vader going back to the shuttle thing is the most disturbing of these I believe because it slows the pace of the film down which is going on all burners at this point, and I'm sorry but that replacemment of dialogue which is not JEJ voice is so jarring, it takes you out of the film. It's a very disruptive flow and I feel is something that is not needed. I understand WHY GL put it there, but it's something that should've been done on the first go round.
    The only changes that seem merited to me are the new wampa inserts and some minor dialogue changes you hear and MAYBE some of the cloud city scenes. Mostly expanding the city landscape.
    The original versions of the films are the films that are engrained in my mind and even after not seeing them for the last seven years, they have lost none of what made them special in the first place and GL has to understand that THESE films are the ones that made him successful in the first place. Not the SE. I hope at some point, he will come off his artistic perch and give his fans who've been there since day one, like me, the original versions and what I think ARE the original and most perfected visions of the films back to us on DVD or whatever format is available then because I believe it will be a long while before he finally sees the light on this and decides that it is OK to cherish these versions of the films also.
    I REALLY enjoyed watching those old versions, George.
    Something I didn't think I would do at this stage of the game.

3. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    It's just simple arrogance that you could make such a claim without anything to back it up. I remember the overwhelmingly positive response when the Special Editions were released. Even the critics were favorable.

Uh huh...ok....I seem to remember alot negativity from critics....and alot of my friends, who also grew up with the correct SW, saying "Oh god...thats awful!!!"....not to mention my own reaction to the Spoiled Editions....

Compare that to the number of people who paid to see the O-OT. Sorry, doesn't compare.

Yep, that too.

Why are we even having this argument? Its like the people who enjoyed the SE's have a problem with Lucas including both versions. Why does this bother you so?

Now as far as the SE's go, I think Lucas has every right to alter them as he sees fit.

I never said he couldn't....but I DID say that as a tribute to his ORIGINAL fans...he could at least include the unspoiled versions on the DVD set.

Alright, well... believe it or not, Lucas isn't in this to make money.

I don't believe that for a second.

No, George is one of those rare directors that is so bent on getting his vision seen that he will do anything to do it. He is just that devoted to his art, and he wants it to be perfect.

The "quality" of the SE's is highly debateable. Someone with his cinematic might, should at least be able to fix the things that WERE shaky about the OT, like the lightsabers, for instance. No, he left the crappy stuff in, and added more crappy stuff. (opinion)

I hope you get the version you want someday, Plif.

I almost positive we will...within 5 years of EIII's release. Look for a super-duper ultra box set of all six films....complete with the SE's and the OT. CHA CHING!!!!!

I can't believe people actually believe this stuff about George's "vision". There's no way anyone is going to convince me that they didn't have the technology to make Greedo shoot first back in '77 or to make Luke scream back in '80.

I second that...Lucas has flip-flopped on his "vision" many times. Many people just don't realize that Lucas is not that good of a director. He caught lightning in a bottle with the OT (2 of which he did NOT direct). He helmed both PT films...and he's gotten the worst criticism ever for it.

I was referring to the artist wanting quality. And in Lucas' eyes, what he has created IS quality.

By that logic, Lucas should only make movies for his own private use. They should not be released for theatrical viewing.

Well, I certainly hope that you all get the O-OT... so all this whining can finally cease.

Having said that, the chances are slim that Lucas is gonna give a rats arse about what a few whiny fans have to say.

See what I mean? I don't get this snobbish attitude by the SE lovers. Is it some personal affront to you that everyone who HELPED MAKE LORD LUCAS WHAT HE IS TODAY should get at least some acknowledgement from him by including the non-SE versions? And don't knock the whining when you're doing it yourself.

can someone please explain the HUGE differences between the two.

Greedo shooting first.
    The god awful scene with Jabba and Han.
    The Boba Fett "hi there" cameo.
    Didn't fix the crappy lightsabers.
    Edited dialogue that went from decent to painful.
    Luke screaming in ESB.
    The Sarlaac monster's "beak".

And these are just the ones I can remember.

I have to say now after viewing an old 1990 VHS copy of ESB recently that there is a legit argument for the original versions of the films to be available.

Exactly. Lucas can not only fulfill his "vision" [face_plain]...he can also, as a tribute to the original diehards, include the unspoiled versions.

Notice I never said he owed me anything.

4. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Well, I was hoping this would be a nice thread to reminise about things people liked about the original (ish) versions of Star Wars.

However, it's disappointingly broken down into two groups of people taking the usual cheap shots and old jokes at each others' expense. Will we ever get a reasonable discussion about things like this? I sure hope so, but this isn't it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.