main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends When Everything's Right (post-TUF L/M vignette)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by JadenSkywalker, Dec 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JadenSkywalker

JadenSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Apr 9, 2001
    Well, this is my first real fanfiction. I don't have a beta, so I apologize in advance for any mistakes. Hope you all enjoy it! :)

When Everything's Right

by JadenSkywalker

Mara Jade Skywalker sat back against the pilot?s chair aboard the Jade Shadow as it hurtled through hyperspace. She was holding her sleeping son in her arms, his small form curled against her torso and his head resting gently against her chest. A lump rose in Mara?s throat as she gazed down at his thin mop of red-gold hair, so like her own. Ben Skywalker was a miracle; he was her miracle. She kissed top of his head and closed her eyes. How she loved him!

Thirty years ago, the thought that she would one day hold her own child in her arms had not even crossed her mind. But then, ten years ago, Mara Jade had done what was once the unthinkable: She had married Luke Skywalker. Only then had she begun entertain thoughts of herself as a mother. In the early days of their marriage, however, it had not been something she though seriously about. Though she and Luke had certainly talked about having children, they had both known that they were not yet ready. Mara was still trying to extricate herself from Karrde?s organization, and Luke was busy teaching students at the Academy, including his niece and nephews.

Then, when things had finally seemed to settle down and she and Luke had gotten used to the married life, Nom Anor infected her with deadly coomb spores. Not long after, the Yuuzhan Vong invasion began. Mara had begun to believe that she would never have children after all.

Shaking these thoughts from her mind, Mara stretched out with the Force, searching for her husband, who was somewhere in the hold, securing some of the equipment they were taking to Ossus. He reached back to her, enfolding her and their son in a blanket of warmth and love. Ben stirred in Mara?s arms and looked up into her eyes. She smiled.

?Had a good nap, Ben?? Mara asked. Ben rubbed the sleep from his clear blue eyes with his tiny, chubby hands and gave her a grin. Eyes just like his father?s, Mara noted fondly.

?Yes, mama,? he replied. He wiggled from her lap and toddled over to the copilot's chair. He patted the seat and looked at his mother. Mara obligingly picked helped him up. Ben loves starships, Tionne had told her. Mara felt a pang of regret as she watched Ben place his hands over the controls.

It hurt that someone else would know more about her son than his own mother. Tionne and Kam, who had taken care of Ben for the past year while his parents were in the Unknown Regions, knew what his favorite foods were. They knew what toys he liked and games he could play. Luke and Mara, however, barely even knew when he usually took his naps.

Mara?s lips formed as thin line as she steeled her resolve to be the best mother she could be to Ben, now that the war was over. She knew how strongly Luke desired to be the father he never had. They both knew how hard it was to grow up without parents, and they would never let their son go through that.

Luke walked into the cockpit, R2-D2 following close behind. Ben turned let out a giggle of delight when he saw his father. He lifted his arms above his head and Luke swept Ben up and kissed his forehead. Artoo tootled a greeting, then rolled over to plug into the main computer. Luke set Ben on the ground, and he immediately made his way over to Artoo and have him a hug. The droid whistled cheerfully and gave the toddler a playful poke with its extending arm. Ben patted the astromech?s dome and sat down beside it. He started to babble to Artoo, stringing together nonsensical words into incoherent sentences.

Luke laughed and shook his head as R2-D2 replied Ben dutifully. He looked at Mara and saw her watching the pair with an odd expression on her face.

?Mara?? Luke prompted. His wife turned to him and offered a smile.

?I?m fine,? she said. ?I was just thinking.?

?Thinking that we?re the l

2. GirlJedi

GirlJedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 10, 2000
    Jayden,

that is a very sweet story. a nice pre-Christmas present. awwwww. thanks! I enjoyed it.

i liked how R2 and Ben were "talking." and understanding each other perfectly.

I'm holding onto hope for the Skywalker Tribe - if there's a vote, I vote for 2 younger sisters for Ben.

A. There'd be 2 sisters to harrass Ben
    B. Mara would be mom to 2 teenage daughters - is that revenge of Palpatine or Revenge of Skywalker?
    C. We need to have this sistah power unleashed upon the unsuspecting galaxy.

3. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    It's nice to read a short little happy story. :)

4. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    nice sweet story

Hope to see more from you soon, Jaden. :)

5. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    Cute story, I definitely think Ben needs some sisters too. ;)

6. JadenSkywalker

Apr 9, 2001
    Thanks to everyone who read my story! :)

GirlJedi ? I'm glad you liked it. I've always thought of Artoo as almost like a little kid. I think and Ben will get along nicely.

Ben should definitely have some younger siblings. I don't think Del Rey is going to give him any, though. I think that Luke and Mara could adopt a little girl though. You know, that might be a good idea for a fic. ;)

RebelMom ? Now's the time for the happy stories! It was really short, wasn't it? Well, I wrote it in about an hour. I've been wanting to write a L/M vignette for the longest time; so since I the time, wrote it.

Jedi Liz ? I want to write a really long story, probably about Ben as a teenager, or and adventure with Luke and Mara. I just don't know when I will have the time. After winter break contest season for band starts, and I'd hate to leave readers waiting weeks for my posts.

padawanlunetta ? Thanks! :D

7. JainaDurron

JainaDurron Jedi Master star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    This was absolutely beautiful. :)

~~Jilly

8. JainaDurron

JainaDurron Jedi Master star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    This was absolutely beautiful. :)

~~Jilly

9. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    Great vignette! I love real life stories about the characters. Hope to see more fics from you, be they long or short.

10. JadenSkywalker

Apr 9, 2001
    JainaDurron and Jedi-2B ? Thank you, I'm so happy that you liked it. :)

I've decided to take advantage of winter break and write as much as I can, so I'm going to start working on another story right now! It's going to be about Ben getting a little sister.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.