main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

When Han leaves in ANH why does Luke care so much?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Matthew78, Oct 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthew78

Matthew78 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 16, 2006
    This bothers me, Han Solo and Chewbacca were just hired to do a simple transportation job to bring Luke Skywalker and old Ben Kenobi to Alderaan with their two droids safely, this cannot be done because Alderaan is destroyed and the Falcon is captured by the DS but after escaping with Princess Leia in tow they are able to go to the Rebel Base on Yavin IV where Han will be paid anyway by the Rebellion and then he and Chewie can leave and pay off Jabba the Hutt and other old debts without getting involved in the battle between the Death Star and the Rebel Fighters, the Empire did not even know the Falcons name and thus did not know that Han Solo was its captain so he could go away home free.

When Han Solo sees the battle plan and realizes how hopeless the battle seems he is very quick to pack his Credits and supplies and take off to attend to his responsibilities so that he can straighten out his probelms with Jabba and get better jobs elsewhere, Why is Luke so selfish to want Han to stay behind and risk his life and ship for a bunch of people that he doesnt even really know at all? and risk the Empire putting a death sentence on him just for aiding the Rebel Alliance, no doubt he had his poster and ships description posted in every spaceport in every major system for years after that and had to keep a very low profile, to just leave quickly and quietly like Han wanted to do was his best choice but Luke is being selfish and trying to force him to get involved and not caring about the trouble that he will have later on because of it.

Was Luke being selfish to manipulate Han? Kind of bad to get someone that is just giving you a ride involved in your war when they just want to go home and do whatever they usually do, and Luke is stupid enough to whine to Leia about Han not wanting to stay like he is too stupid enough to think about why Han doesnt want to get involved:certain death involved in attacking a heavily armed Space Station and an arrest warrant from the Galactic Empire for aiding and helping Rebels/Terrorists in their war against the government, Obi-Wan certantly would never have asked Han to stay and help out.

2. anakinandpadmedoomed

anakinandpadmedoomed Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2007
    I have always wondered about that myself.They didnt get off to a good start, maybe han grew on luke though.

3. Haylo_Tau

Haylo_Tau Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2006
    that did seem a bit weird that luke cared. i think skywalker knew two things.

1- Han was a great piolt and could fight.

2- the rebels needed all the help they could get. ( even if it was a greedy smuggler cared for no one but himself)

okay so maybe that's three things.

4. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    You have to remember that other than Biggs everyone else that Luke knows is either back on Tatooine or dead. I mean there's Leia, but he's even known Han longer than her.

5. GrandWarlord

GrandWarlord Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 21, 2003
    I always thought it was because Luke could see some real "goodness" in Han, but Han was afraid to show it. It was like Luke felt Han was better then what he was acting, or at least he hoped he was.

6. RovinGambler

RovinGambler Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 25, 2007
    Thats always kind of annoyed me. Han doesnt owe Luke anything, he went above and beyond what he was hired to do. Then Luke gets all sulky because Han doesnt want to stick around to partake in a suicidal battle in a war he isnt even part of?

7. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    Han and Luke had just been through a lot together. That tends to build friendship and camaraderie. I'm sure Luke felt bad that Han was just turning his back and walking away like they hadn't been through life and death together. I would think Han was being cold too if I were Luke. I think bringing up the rebellion was just a ploy on Luke's part, as he was probably too embarrassed to tell Han he considered him a friend.

8. DarthSticky

DarthSticky Jedi Master star 4

Feb 8, 2002
    Lets see here;
    Luke's father - dead (as far as he knows at the time)
    Luke's uncle (father figure #2) - dead
    Kenobi (father figure #3) - dead
    Is it unreasonable to think that a young kid (and he was just a young kid at this point) would cling to one of the last friends he has left?

But the ended up doing so much more, and that is what counts. As has already been mentioned, they went through a very intense experience where they relied on each other to stay alive. Lifelong friendships are built on situations like this.

Finally, we can assume that since the force is so strong in Luke, he probably has some very accurate insights and instincts about people and probably has a strong sense that Han is an important part of his future.

All in all, there are plenty of reasons for Luke to feel the way he did. Was he trying ot manipulate Han? I don't think so. I think he was a young scared kid who was reacting naturally to everything that had just happened to him...

9. DarthNigel

DarthNigel Jedi Master star 3

Jul 14, 2003
    Luke's on a mission. Han's doing his job. Luke, in his idealism, held out hope that Han may have some of that same idealism, and was disappointed when he found that Han's cynical external persona did not give way to an inner idealism. "I really thought he'd change his mind." Of course, Luke turned out to be right in a sense.

10. Cellist

Cellist Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 7, 2003
    [image=http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e204/tehespay/Luke20skywalker.jpg]

11. GrandAdmiral_Frank

GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 2003
    I figured Luke knew that Han was good deep down inside.

12. RedSeven

RedSeven Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 15, 2007
    I've always wondered about that, too.

13. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    I recall Luke and Han getting off to a rusty start, Han even mocked Lukes piloting abilities.
    However, Luke could see the good within Han because if he was a bad as the first half of the movie potrayed him, He would have never risked his life on an imperial space station. Whether it be for 'reward' or not.

Han is a good pilot, and a good fighter. Luke is still young and fresh at the time and Han notices that he probably doesn't know how to make it in the galaxy beyond Tatooine. Overall, Han takes a liking to Luke and begins to watch his back. They risk their lives countless times and Luke actually had the belief that Han would join the Rebellion after his skills were discovered. Han leaving just proves himself right, that he's nothing but a greedy smuggler.

14. dancing_star

dancing_star Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2007
    Master_Starwalker: You have to remember that other than Biggs everyone else that Luke knows is either back on Tatooine or dead. I mean there's Leia, but he's even known Han longer than her.

GrandWarlord: I always thought it was because Luke could see some real "goodness" in Han, but Han was afraid to show it. It was like Luke felt Han was better then what he was acting, or at least he hoped he was.

Grand_Moff_Jawa: Han and Luke had just been through a lot together. That tends to build friendship and camaraderie. I'm sure Luke felt bad that Han was just turning his back and walking away like they hadn't been through life and death together. I would think Han was being cold too if I were Luke. I think bringing up the rebellion was just a ploy on Luke's part, as he was probably too embarrassed to tell Han he considered him a friend.

DarthSticky: Lets see here;
    Luke's father - dead (as far as he knows at the time)
    Luke's uncle (father figure #2) - dead
    Kenobi (father figure #3) - dead
    Is it unreasonable to think that a young kid (and he was just a young kid at this point) would cling to one of the last friends he has left?

Yes, yes, yes and yes. :) (Well, I mean no, it's not unreasonable.)
    Sorry to quote so many replies, but I completely agree to all of these. They were well said and I couldn't put them better myself.

They summed up everything I wanted to say, so feeling as lazy as I am right now, I'm going to leave it at that. :p

15. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    I think it was a combination of a few things. First, the Rebels knew that they were going to battle against all odds. Han was a skilled pilot and would have certainly helped their effort. Second, it seemed to me that Luke had come to like Han and he wanted him to stick around. Luke had begun to think of him as a friend and he didn't want his to "fly off into the distance."

16. skyysoblue

skyysoblue Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 15, 2005
    There may be even more. As we now know, Obi Wan knew of Chewbacca from his interaction with Yoda from the Clone wars. Han was a smuggler who knew "a few tricks" to escape from Star Destroyers (that drifting to the left thing was real awesome). Luke could also have sensed that Han was a rebel just looking to join the fight as he was.

All in all, it is the type of scene and plot/character development that I believe sets ANH apart from the rest of the films.

17. starlit_goddess

starlit_goddess Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 6, 2007
    cause their otp duh!

18. X-File

X-File Jedi Master star 1

Oct 21, 2004
    Well you know Han did ask Luke to come along with them. It's not like Luke had to stay with the Rebels he had other choices. But I think that Han was becoming the big brother Luke never had and he knew if Han left he wouldnt know anyone but Biggs, Leia and the droids. To put it mildly Luke didnt want to be alone.

19. Ominous

Ominous Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2004
    It wasn't shown in the movie but Princess Leia sees Han and Chewie packing up their loot and she winks at him, pulling up her white gown to reveal her legs. From the distance she mouths,

"You want some of this? You have to stay with us."

OR!

Chewie beats the ever-loving crap out of Han inside the MF until he agrees to stay.

On a serious note, Han had a sudden change of heart and decided to stick around.

20. SaberGiiett7

SaberGiiett7 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    Luke is still a wide-eyed idealist.

<[-]> Saber

21. Jamiebacca

Jamiebacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    Living on Tatooine, a guy doesn't make that many friends...

22. Matthew78

Matthew78 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 16, 2006
    Actually Luke did have a lot of friends on Tatooine, Fixer,Camie,Biggs and a couple of other youths that were all presumably Moisture Farmers as well just like Luke was, this is in the novelization of ANH and in the deleted scenes which i watched on Youtube, although Luke is clearly the loser of his crowd and has the nickname Wormie to prove it.

23. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
  24. Jamiebacca

Jamiebacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    With friends like those, well, you made the point yourself!

25. RamRed

RamRed Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    Yes, Han and Luke went through a lot together. They really had no choice, considering that the Falcon ended up captured by the Death Star.

Still, I don't see why Luke had expected Han to join the Rebel Alliance. He should have known better by recalling that he had to promise a reward to Han for helping him save Leia from execution.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.