main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

When/how did you get addicted to Star Wars???

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Vegetenks101, Sep 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    I watched TPM. I actually liked Jar Jar. Thought he was funny.

2. The Lurker

The Lurker Jedi Master star 4

Aug 19, 1999
    Addicted? Who's addicted? Not me, I can stop anytime I want to....

3. Kaui-Gone-Jim

Kaui-Gone-Jim Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 19, 2002
    Like talltrees and darth-knoll,
    I was hooked on first seeing ANH (back in '77).
    That was the best graduation present my parents ever could have given me!
    Me and a friend were so amazed, we hid in the restroom, then watched the next screening for free!

I loved the SE and took my daughter to see them.

I liked TPM, but only on seeing AOTC was a burning obsession with Star Wars re-ignited again!

4. TK421_DoUCopy

TK421_DoUCopy Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 12, 2002
    I saw ANH in the DRIVE-IN when it came out!!!!!!!!!!!! Camped out in the back of a VW Bus with my parents (both huge fans) and my little brother... amazing. Seems like yesterday.

5. DarthNoll

DarthNoll Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 11, 2002
    Ah, the drive-in! Sweet! When we were going to see SW that whole summer ('77), we'd get there at like the noon showing. They didn't kick everyone out of the theaters after each showing like they do now. We'd watch it maybe twice before our parents would come and get us. I'm glad I didn't have to hide out in the bathrooms to do it, too! :D

6. AERYN_SUN

AERYN_SUN Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 1, 2001
    my history with sw is very funny. i loved sw before titanic came out, and then titanic became an obsession but i returned to my love of sw b/c so many people were saying leo was gay. at least people don't tease you about sw.

7. YouAgain

YouAgain Jedi Master star 5

Dec 20, 2001
    Well it was Yesterday......

No actually my Uncle was a Huge fan the first time I saw it I was like 2 I was scared of Yoda :D

8. AUNTIE_JEDI

AUNTIE_JEDI Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2002
    In 1977 I just needed to see first ten minutes of ANH.

9. talltrees

talltrees Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 14, 2002
    Wow! This is the first time on the boards that I have heard of so many (and there is only a few here) that saw the OT the first time around. You would think there would be more of us who are still die hard fans, but there aren't. I am the second oldest person in my fanforce (oldest is 41), most of our members are in their early 20's or so! It is alway great to here there are people close to my age that still love the SW universe. :D

10. MaraJade55

MaraJade55 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 7, 2002
    Okay well I have known about Star Wars since I was four but when I was about 12 my best friend Susan who is obessed with Star Wars told me I had to see the Phantom Menace which had just come out in threaters and I went to see it and it was so tight, I got alot of the stuff from the movie and then after that I thought it was cool! But just last year after episode 2 I started getting really obessed with it! And I can't believe I'm sane enough to tell you the tale thats how obessed I'm! :D!

11. Darf_Vader

Darf_Vader Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 15, 2002
    I was born in 1980 so I never got to see the original theatrical releases, and when the SE came out I was out of the country but read about it in Time magazine.
    I actually used to make fun of two of my friends (who are brothers) for liking Star Wars and the fact that they had a Star Wars desktop theme. In 1999 I saw TPM in theaters and was blown away. That same day I borrowed the SE Trilogy VHS and watched the whole thing in one night and I loved it, but I soon got over the obsession.
    When the anticipation started building up for AOTC in late 2001 my interest was rekindled and after seeing it I became an absolute fanatic. I am now easily the biggest SW fanatic in my circle of friends (including the two guys I used to make fun of) and I have yet to meet in person someone who is crazier about SW than I am.
    This is how I sum up the bliss that is Star Wars:
    If once you start down its dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. consume you it will, like it did Obi-Wan's apprentice.

12. AUNTIE_JEDI

Jul 30, 2002
    Talltrees, a confession: I'm 37

13. Dark-Vador

Dark-Vador Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 16, 2001
    As early as I can remember... It's because I was born during the time of ROTJ and used to watch it almost every Saturday. Between then and the SE I slowly collected SW stuff. I started loving SW since then.

But the SE seriously got me mega-hooked into SW and I haven't been unhooked since.

14. DarthNoll

Jul 11, 2002
    33 here, talltrees. I find the same thing is true in my area, most of the fans are early twenties. I think it is really interesting to hear fanatics of all ages discuss Star Wars and what it is they like about it. But it's cool also to chat with people around the same age that have been the SW geeks for a long, long time. ;) I'm trying to get my niece (she's 10) into Star Wars. She's only seen the Phantom Menace and I'm trying to get my sister to show her the OT. I think it will ultimately fall to me to turn her to the Dark Side... oh, I mean it will fall to me to introduce her to the wonderful world of Star Wars. :D

BTW, Darf Vader - your summation of your fanaticism is great!

15. MaraJade55

MaraJade55 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 7, 2002
    I'm 15 and a half! 8-} Anyway when did the Return of the Jedi come out?

16. JediMasterKitFisto

JediMasterKitFisto Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 27, 2002
    I first got into it when my mom took me to see a special edition release of ANH when I was 5

17. Spacebump

Spacebump Jedi Youngling star 1

May 17, 2002
    I dont remember a time where i didnt know what star wars is...

18. talltrees

Mar 14, 2002
    LOL! DarthNoll and Auntie Jedi I am so glad I'm not the only "older" person around who adores these stories. Being 32 myself, sometimes I am just amazed at how younge most of the SW fans are these days. I hope they are still crazy about this stuff when they are our ages. :)

19. DARTH_CHINA

DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    I got addicted through a process, really! :)

Well, some day I watched parts of ROTJ, the Luke-Vader-Emperor scenes, on TV and I really loved the emperor, I was fascinated about him. That was the first sign.

Then, I told my brother about it and he said that there were 3 movies and so, he rent them for me. So, I started watching ANH and continued with ESB & ROTJ SE. (I kept asking my brother :"Why do they call it Eps. 4,5,6. Are there other movies before them?" It was driving him crazy :p)After watching them I felt empty. I was so sad that watching them were over.

Years passed, when suddenly TPM came out. Our newspaper made a big page about TPM with info and a time line on it. I remember I kept that newspage. I really loved it. Then, my brother took me to TPM and I really liked it. I didn't hate Jar Jar, he was just sometimes annoying.

After TPM I was really exited. This was the very first SW episode!! Everytime I got bored I decided to search some stuff on the internet. And then, I read the first stuff about Eps.II, and after that I couldn't miss it anymore, I followed everything about Star Wars, I came addicted :p

I'm really glad I'm addicted to Star Wars :p It's such a wonderful world. I came addicted also to John Williams' music. :) It's really a nice time to be a SW fan. I love it [face_love]

20. Ben-Obi-Wan-Kenobi

Ben-Obi-Wan-Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 28, 1999
    also 33yrs here
    and my story is a bit the same as Taltrees'
    Cinema '77 and i was damned(err Blessed)
    to be a SW fan forever.

i remember i played with friends (in '77) outside and doing all scenes from the movie.

SW is the best thing that can happen

laterz all

21. AUNTIE_JEDI

Jul 30, 2002
    It would be nice to know if there is any one who is as old as I - I just realized that I'll be 40 on 2005...

In honour of that I'll change my icon and signature ;) to portray myself better... :p

22. DarthNoll

Jul 11, 2002
    Noooooo, Auntie Jedi! You're not old enough to be Jocasta Nu for cryin' out loud! Who knows how old that woman is?!? A few hundred?? :D

We played Star Wars, too, Ben-Obi-Wan-Kenobi. I'm glad we weren't the only ones. We didn't play cops 'n robbers, we played the Imperial forces vs. the Rebels! :)

And btw, MaraJade55, ROTJ came out in 1983.

23. talltrees

Mar 14, 2002
    [face_shocked] GASP! Auntie Jedi, get rid of that icon! That women is way beyond our ages! LOL! We are older, but not ANCIENT! :)
    I was just thinking we should do a 30's only thread. I am on the SW gals only, and it would be fitting to have a thread for those of us who have seen the OT when they first came out. I'm thinking we wouldn't get many hits. :) Or heck, it might for all I know.

24. tinka

tinka Jedi Youngling

Aug 4, 2002
    I actually saw TPM for the first time on DVD from a friend awhile ago. I've always heard about all the other movies, but never really got interested until my friend gave me his TPM DVD for my Final Fantasy DVD and i really loved it afterwards. i was surprised that i knew what was going on, proving that TPM was a great movie. Another thing was, i was really hooked on the design, especially the costumes, and it all went from there...

25. DarthNoll

Jul 11, 2002
    I like your idea, talltrees! There may be more of us than we think.

So, tinka, have you seen the other movies yet?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.