main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

When I left you, I was but the ____, now I am the _____

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Master_Mace_Windows, Jun 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Mace_Windows

Master_Mace_Windows Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 18, 2005
    I have been noticing that this ONE-liner by Darth Vader also applies to many other things that have happened to him.

When he left him he was but the son, now he is the father
    When he left him he was whole and "in power", now he's a cyborg under Tarkin
    When he left him he was in his prime, having everything, now he's got nothing but a pathetic respirator.

2. Clone_Commander169

Clone_Commander169 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 11, 2005
    technecaly the whole "when i left you i was but the learner now i am the master thing" is rong (just thought of this now)
    he was no longer a padawan he was a jedi knight before he turned to the dark side and left obi. therefore not much of a learner... and how can he be a master if the emperor keeps refering to him as his aprentice. hmm lol

3. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Yeah, but it was a cool line though eh? Also, Anakin was always boasting about how great he was pre-scorching, so there's no reason to suggest he'd be less of a braddard once he'd turned Sith.

4. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003

Yes... "When I left you I was in my prime, now I've got nothing but a pathetic respirator."

Those be fightin' words!

5. QUI-DON-JINN

QUI-DON-JINN Jedi Master star 1

Feb 2, 2005
    Technically, the line is correct. Just because someone is no longer a "padawan" doesn't mean they're no longer a "learner." There is a great line in the "Yoda: Dark Rendezvous" novel in which Dooku calls out Yoda for continuing to teach Dooku, even though Dooku is no longer his apprentice. Yoda says something to the effect of "Do you think I stop teaching even if the learner no longer wants to hear?" The same is true of learners, who continue to learn even if they've "mastered" something. Those who are considered "masters" or "experts" in something will be the first to tell you that they're still learning, since that never stops. Vader was still learning from Obi-Wan in ROTS, even if their relationship wasn't officially/technically still master/apprentice. Notice how Anakin refers to Obi-Wan many times as "master" and "my master" in ROTS, even though he'd moved on to full Jedi status.

Vader in ANH is finally claiming (to Obi-Wan) the status of master Anakin was not afforded in ROTS by the Council. From a certain point of view, he is a master, "only a master of evil" in being a Dark Lord of the Sith.

6. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005

This is one of those lines that is pure Vader coolness and I care not to overanalyze. Vader (And Anakin) makes a lot of crap up in his own head and tells other people about it to bolster his own insecurities. That said, I don't care if he was the master, wasn't the master, would never be the master......when the scary guy in the black suit appeared ready to beat on the old man with the really weak looking lightsaber I was pretty convinced that the circle was complete.

Again, I don't need to Analyze EVERY line in the Saga. I'm not bashing those that do, because I do my own share of nitpicking. There are just those lines I have to say "Hey, that was just badass." instead of "Do you think Vader REALLY meant that he would be honored if Han, Leia, and Chewie joined him and Boba Fett at the dinner table?" ;)

Carnage

7. DarthJuggalo

DarthJuggalo Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2005

Couldn't have said it better myself. Thats just Vader being Vader nothing more.

8. Malikail

Malikail Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2004
    I agree completely with this thought.

It could also be looked at as Anakin was a knight, Kenobi was a master with at least we would expect more knowlage and experience, then in ANH Anakin is telling Kenobi he's surpassed him. Even if he did say it in a strange way, the way he said it was just Vader being Vader.

9. RedHanded_Jill

RedHanded_Jill Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    this is all i could think of when i saw the topic...

when i left you, i was but the ho, now i am the pimp.

i think we all know it fits. (i watched mind of mencia interview a pimp last night. hoing must be on the brain.)

10. Winston_Sith

Winston_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 8, 2004
    :::hoing must be on the brain.)

***says nothing***

11. RedHanded_Jill

RedHanded_Jill Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    actually i fit more as the pimp. you asking to be my ho?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.