main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phx When in doubt cut yourself

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by KREATOR, Feb 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KREATOR

KREATOR Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 28, 2003
    You have those days? A day when everything appears to be going pretty good. You start getting things done. Your plans are in line and then BAM!!! something idiotic happens.

I was minding my own business. Ripping CD's for my server since I am anal retentive and am sick of my server being in disarray. While that is working I FINALLY decided to go through a few more boxes from the move. wandering around pacing as I do all of the sudden I feel a sharp pain in my foot. I look down and there is my sock turning a lovely shade of red.

I look down and see the Stargate RA dagger (should be on the wall if I'd ever hang it). with a nice red tint to the blade.

I applied pressure to it for about 30 minutes thinking that it might not be bad. I look and it's a 3 inch gash with no hope of healing on its own. I call Deicide and he takes me the ER.

8 stitches later.

Anyway, since Im searching for sympathy I thought it might be fun to find out if anyone else has had a silly injury right in the middle of things going kinda your way.

I've had others. Like breaking my ankle in the middle of my Sr Year for basketball. Could finally dunk consistently and was looking forward to a very successful year at the high jump. Nope. All done. WEll not completely. Ran well in track but never got my jump back.

lpl

2. Imperial_Birrer

Imperial_Birrer Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2003
    I had a similar event in middle school. I was getting ready in the locker room when I felt a pinch on the side of my foot.I looked down and there was a chunk of tile hanging out of my sock,I felt no pain so I just pulled it out.Next thing I know my sock is red and I am standing in my own blood, my panicky gym teacher screams (rather girly) and runs for help.( leaving me to bleed more). I hobble to a clean part of the floor and put my shorts on since evrry person in that room was staring at me.I stand there for a minute or two bleeding when the teacher returns and freaks cuz I moved. I then get loaded in to a wheel chair to be taken out in front of the whole school.While i was being hauled thru the gym I did manage to leave a nice trail of blood in the building.Looked like someone was murdered in the locker room. I got 7 stitches, a tetnis (sp?) shot, and planty of anti-biotics (dirty floor). My class mates did not have to dress the rest of the day while they "sanitized" they floor.

3. turbo72577

turbo72577 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 30, 2002
    I think I might have you both beat.

I broke my right index finger playing catch with a football.

...my left index finger playing basketball.

...my right middle finger bowling. BOWLING!

...sprained my left ankle retrieving a hacky-sack from a church roof.

And a bunch of other really stupid things.

4. Imperial_Birrer

Jan 10, 2003
    I see your broken bones and raise you 3 months physical therapy due to being drunk and wild.

5. jada_marnew

jada_marnew Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 22, 2003
    I'll see all your cuts and broken bones!

I was innocently taking a plate to the sink when the plate spontaneously disentegrated in my hand leaving a 1 inch gash in my finger.

EDIT: This started a series of gashes that happened every year for 3 years in a row during the 2 to 3 week of January until my sister marked her calendar and sent me a supply of black paper plates and plastic wear one year.

I repeated sprained my foot and dislocated a bone on top of my foot stepping over the same tree root for 3 years.

I fell up the stairs. And we don't even want to begin to say how many times I've fallen down the stairs. Gravity is NOT my friend.

I broke both my toes doing chin ups.

6. KREATOR

KREATOR Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 28, 2003
    Just to add to my *hand*. ;)

Broke my other ankle in basketball my Sophmore year.

Broke my left elbow (radial head) playing basketball just under 2 years ago.

Broken several fingers numerous times playing basketball. Usually when I was playing well. I cant do these things when Im playing terrible.

And 24 stitches in my head wehn I was 7 or so. Heh...my hair still doesnt comb right becasue of the scar,

:D

7. Ima_princess

Ima_princess Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 5, 2003
    Well, I have never broken a bone (knock wood) but there was a time, a week before I left for China where I was about to go to sleep when I realized that I was missing my stuffed bunny Comfy. Yes, I still sleep with a stuffed animal that I have had since I was in an incubator- if you have a problem. . .stuff it :D ! Anyway, I went on a search for my little lost bunny, half asleep and remembered that I put her in the back of the house. So, while walking with eyes half closed, barefoot, to the room where the elusive comfy was I felt a prick on my foot. That prick started to burn so I looked down, expecting to have stepped on a needle but NO it was a scorpion. I scream, Mom panicks and calls poison control ranting about how her "baby" had been stung by a scorpion. When the operator asked my age (22 at the time) she calmly asked my Mom to hand me the phone, which she did. My mother then proceded to run to the room where I was stung and BASH THE HELL out of the scorpion mumbling something like, teach you to mess with my baby. All I have to say is, go Mom.

8. Dikion

Dikion Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 2003
    Yesterday I tripped over a cat, a dog and a backpack durring my morning rush to the bathroom. I popped the fluid sack behind the knee cap again. (was just getting healed from my car accident in Jan)
    I've also popped the same fluid sack in seventh grade in a bicycle accident and again in nineth playing football.
    But as far as stupid goes....
    I was opening mail with my handy swiss army knife and when I went to close it I was holding it backwards and put a huge gash down the middle of my thumb.
    and then...
    in third grade (living overseas) I was walking with a friend and we saw a huge rat run across the street. So we decide we want to pet it and I actually manage to catch it. Well it bit me. Hard.

my sympothies to the clumsy, your in good company
    -D-
    have also opened a cabinet door and hit myself in the head hard enough to see stars.

9. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jedi_Knight_Birr Retired RSA star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2002
    well, its a strange injury that i have to tell you about. when i was just a young kid (5 at the most), we were moving. they had cleared everything out of our room except our big old bed frame. me and zac were runnng around in there. then zac steps on the edge of the frame that was leaning on the wall. his small little body added enough weight that it fell. on my head. now i have a dent in my head for all time cause of it.

10. jada_marnew

jada_marnew Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 22, 2003
    I fell off the ladder of a high drive and landed on the cement when I was 5 years old.

That's why I'm so ****ed up! 8-}

11. Imperial_Birrer

Jan 10, 2003
    In my defense I did not mean to drop the bed frame on his head, and even if I did it was because he tried to kill me at birth.
    Plus I got punished for it.While the docs checked him out my grandmother made me balance her check book( we were only 5), I wonder to this day if anything bounced.

12. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    The year was 1988. I was in 8th grade. I signed up to be a cheerleader for the weekend football teams (yeah, the guys to play constantly so they can play in high school and so on). I thought I was all cool and having a great time being a "BenGAL" (**shiver**), when I came home one day with a terrible painful lump just inside my right hip. I could hardly walk. A few doctor visits later, I went in for surgery to correct a hernia.

About 3 weeks later, I'm at a Halloween party, and we've all been carving pumpkins. At the end of the party, everything's cleaned up, and my friend puts her big ol' carving knives into a Ziploc bag. Shortly afterwards, she and I are talking and whispering, and I lean over to hear what she has to say... and lean my left hand directly onto one of the knives. Yowch. It bled everywhere. Several hours and an Emergency Room visit later, the plastic surgeon (who was awakened and called in to repair the tendons of my left index and middle fingers) tells me that I was extremely lucky to have most of my range-of-motion still, and that the knife went almost all the way through. When the cast came off 6 weeks later, I still had a blueish-purple bruise on the inside of my hand.

About 1 week after the knife incident, I get the all-clear from the doc who did the hernia surgery, and decide to go back to cheerleading. One day of cheerleading - for a meager 4 hours, and most of the standing around - and the lump is back. Bigger and more painful than ever. We go back into see the doc, who is baffled, and figures the same thing I did - it wasn't completely healed and ripped. So, back in for more surgery. I go under, he opens up the original scar and - dum dum DUM!! - the original stitches are fine. So, he lengthens the incision and sure enough. ANOTHER hernia. Bigger. Better. Guaranteed to be more painful. And missed the first time around. And the damn thing decided to be sneaky and wait until I was active again before re-appearing. The doc closed it up, closed me up, and now I have a good 3½-inch scar.

So, you'd think I was finished finally. No. About 2 months later (sometime in late January I believe), my sister and I are having a fight - as sisters do. I bonk her on the head with one of those plastic VHS tape covers, she gets pissed, grabs it and goes to hit me on the head in return. Except that she gets just the right angle with the corner of the thing and opens a good 1-inch gash in my forehead, right at the hairline. Back to the Emergency Room for more anesthesia, friends and fun. Several hours and 4 stitches later, I decide that if at all possible, I will either quit being injured, or buy stock in the company that makes Neosporin.

It was a loooooooong time before I saw the inside of an ER again.

13. TyriaTainer

TyriaTainer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    During my second year in the marching band at OSU. I happened to be running barefoot through my dorm, having some fun with friends. Suddenly I feel a sharp pain in my foot. Take a look and decide glass got into my foot, right in the middle of the ball of my foot. Couldn't go to the hospital, because I would be late for band. It was Monday, which meant I would get challenged. If you want details of what that entails, i'll describe it later, right now, this is gonna be long enough. For anyone who doesn't know, our band does a high step, you have to march on the balls of your feet. Anyway, did the challenge, marched practice. After practice is done we do the penalty drill. March 10 yards forward, turn around, march 5 yards, turn around.....continue that all the way down the field. After practice, I asked someone for directions to the health center to get the thing taken out.

14. TyriaTainer

TyriaTainer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    That actually didn't interfer with any plans I had made. Last quarter i was doing good. Keeping ahead of work, and making sure I was gonna have everything done before coming to visit you guys for the wedding. Got a phone call at 7 in the morning. My brother had been attacked. Naturally I dropped everything and went to be with him at the emergency room. Needless to say I started falling behind because I was much more worried about him then stupid schoolwork. But everything's fine now. I got through last quarter just fine, and my brother is doing very good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.