main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"When in Rome..." (JA fanfic, version 2)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Bastet, Jul 23, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I'm thrilled to hear we can expect more story Bastet, though like Kelly, I hate to see this story end.

2. padawan3

padawan3 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 20, 1999
    Well I throughly enjoyed it.

3. padawan3

Sep 20, 1999
    Up again.

4. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    Me again! Thnaks you guys for reading, I'm so glad you all like this story so far. I'm sorry I didn't have this up yesterday, but I was too tired to finish it after work, and it just kept getting longer and longer.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Obi-Wan watched his master head out the door, hoping once again that the man knew what he was doing. But Qui-Gon had proven quite capable of handling himself in difficult situations more times than the young man could count, and so he vowed to trust him, just like the big Jedi asked him too.

Obi-Wan was still seated at the table as Maia started to clean up after dinner. He moved to help her, but she shooed him away. Taking the young man gently by the arm, she led him over to the bed and pushed him down onto it. Smiling, Maia pulled off his boots and set them on the floor, then she took off his belt and dropped it too. Then she twirled her hand in the air to motion for Obi-Wan to roll over. Puzzled, he did as she requested. She sat down on the bed beside him and started to massage his back and shoulders. Maia was very good at it, and soon the young Jedi began to feel all the tenseness and ache in his sore muscles melting away.

?Aaaahhhhh, thank you? Obi-Wan sighed contentedly. He heard his native wife laugh softly as he closed his eyes and felt himself begin to drift off to sleep. His last thought before he succumbed to slumber was that he hoped he wouldn?t have to hunt for breakfast.

- - - - -

When Obi-Wan awoke the next morning it was already bright and sunny outside. He sat up slowly and looked around, pleased to feel that his muscles were no longer sore. Neither Maia nor Toi were in the house, but Obi-Wan spotted a plate of food waiting for him at the table. He smiled at his wife?s thoughtfulness, but wondered where she had gone off too. His question was soon answered by a loud snort coming from out front, followed by laughter. He recognized Maia?s voice, and it sounded like her friend Rika was with her, as well as two or three kids. The young Jedi figured that the two native women must be involved in girl-talk, and that it was probably all about him. He found that he didn?t really mind, Maia did not seem like the type of person to talk bad about anyone.

Obi-Wan got out of bed and put his boots and belt back on, yawning cavernously all the while. As he sat down to eat breakfast, leftovers from the night before, he started to wander what he should be doing today. He had no clue what the natives did from day to day, except that some of them worked in the fields and others manned shops in the village marketplace. And most of the men went hunting, but how often? Every day, perhaps? Obi-Wan didn?t see how, that would surely clean out the forest in no time. Unless there were other places they hunted as well.

The young Jedi sighed heavily. It would be so much easier if he could understand their language. Maybe then they wouldn?t be in this whole big mess to begin with. //There?s no use wishing for things that can?t be//, he told himself firmly. He decided to go and ask Maia what he should be doing today, and hopefully she would be able to understand his question. Anything was better than sitting uselessly around the house, except of course working for Mog. That was definitely worse.

Obi-Wan put his empty plate in the bucket of water that served as a sink, then headed outside. Maia and her friend were sitting on the grass, talking, while three kids that unmistakably belonged to Rika played around on the lawn with Toi. Three-year-old twin boys were trying to ride the pig, while a one-year-old girl that looked as if she had barely learned how to walk was squealing with delight as she tried to catch Toi?s tail.

Hearing the door close, Maia turned around and smiled at Obi-Wan. ?Mawala, Obae-wahn,? she said cheerfully.

?Mawala,? he said with a smile, which caused Rika to start giggling. Maia elbowed her in the ribs, and then gestured for her husband to join them on the lawn. He accepted the invitation, having nothing els

5. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

JediKnight-Obi-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 13, 2000
    Really great post Bastet. That would be soo hard to be surrounded by people who you don't understand. Poor Obi.
    I have just one thing to mention that you might want to watch. When using the word, "Wonder" be careful not to confuse it with "Wander". Wandering, is oh hhmm, like wandering around the house, for example. To wander, to roam, ect. Wonder is like "I wonder who that is?" or to be in awe of something. If you already knew that and just misstyped it, I'm sorry, my bad. *Grin*
    Again great post!

6. Bastet

Dec 30, 1999
    Thanks JKOW! I didn't know you were still reading!
    *grins sheepishly* Er, yes, the 'wonder' vs. 'wander' thing was a misstype, but now I can't fix it, aahh! Oh well. Thanks for catching it, I'll go fix my master copy in Word now.
    Looks like I really did kill everyone else off, though. :( Sorry! :(

7. Kelly Kenobi

Kelly Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2000
    Oh happy day, a post!!!! I only have a few minutes to catch up on stories today and was thrill to see you have updated Bastet. This post was anything but boring, you are bringing these characters to life. Obi-Wan is in a difficult position, he must interact with people he both doesn?t know and can?t communicate with. He is handling the situation very well. I can?t wait for the action to begin, should be exciting. I also have a feeling we have some major angst coming (not that I am complaining).

Look forward to your posting soon!!!!!!

8. Bastet

Dec 30, 1999
    Wooooohooooo! I have three stars!! I thought it would take forever! Wooohooo! (I just had to come back here and celebrate!)
    *Ahem* Anyway, thanks Kelly Kenobi! I'm afraid I don't have a whole lot of angst planned for this story, though. This is more like an Obi-fun story than anything. I do have another one in the works that is going to be MAJORLY angsty, but I'm not too sure if people will like, or buy, my idea. And none of my friends are Obi-torture JA fans, so I can't run it by anyone. Phooey. Should I start posting it when I'm done with this one anyway, just to see what people will think, or not? 'Cause they say, "when in doubt, don't do it", you know. Anyway, I'd better get to bed. I have to be at work early tomorrow. Yech!

9. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Bastet, if you want to run your new story by me, please do! I didn't think the last post was boring, but I'm looking forward to the next one already!

10. Eryce

Eryce Jedi Master star 2

Feb 29, 2000
    Ahem.. Bastet, I'm one person you can filter your story through *grin* I'm always willing to listen to another JA story, especially an angsty one:)

11. Buffynick60

Buffynick60 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 11, 2000
    Man this is getting better and better with every post >:) I hope theres more soon!!! And im happy you got your 3rd star Bastet

12. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

Jan 13, 2000
    Yes Bastet I still read a LOT of stories but rarely have a lot of time to reply. I can't imagine what it will be like when I start college next week. Hey, like quite a few people already said, I'd be glad to be your sounding board if you need one. I don't have anyone in my family or friends to run it by either so I understand.
    But my beta reader is a God send. *G*

13. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Bastet, you said the last post kept getting longer like it was a bad thing.

This is a thoroughly enjoyable story and I'm excited to hear you have another one in the works.

14. padawan3

Sep 20, 1999
    Oh that was a really great post Bastet. I am hoping another post is coming soon.

15. padawan3

Sep 20, 1999
  16. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Just checking for more.

17. padawan3

Sep 20, 1999
    Up on top

18. Bastet

Dec 30, 1999
    Thanks you guys! Sorry I didn't get this up yesterday, but I had too-tired-to-concentrate syndrome after a hectic day at work, as well as writer's block and a ton of laundry to do. And so now here is the post, a tad bit angsty and mushy, as well as iffy (naturally).

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Qui-Gon awoke at sunrise the next morning feeling much better. The soreness in his muscles was gone, thanks to Maia?s excellent massage. He felt like he could face another day with Mog now more than he did last night. The old native had managed to get Qui-Gon to understand that he wanted him to help him in his garden again today, and that they were to meet there.

After eating the delicious breakfast Rika brought him, Qui-Gon set off for another backbreaking day with Mog. The old man had him replant several more shrubs and small trees, and the Jedi master was once again stiff and sore by lunchtime. He decided he was getting far too old for this sort of thing, as, after a hurried lunch, he found himself struggling to move a large boulder to the other side of the garden. It weighed a ton, Qui-Gon was sure, and he wished fervently that he could use the Force to lift it, but he knew Mog would panic if he did. The last thing he wanted now was for everyone to think he was some sort of demon or sorcerer. They were having enough trouble already.

Qui-Gon was very glad when Mog finally called it quits. He actually seemed satisfied with the work in the garden today, and indicated that Qui-Gon should meet him back in the field tomorrow. The Jedi master wondered how long it would be before the old man thought of something else to do instead.

Meti was pleased to see Qui-Gon when he went by to see the metal smith after Mog paid him, and even more pleased to see the money he brought, but he also looked a little discouraged. The big Jedi was soon shown why; Meti was having trouble duplicating another component of the comm. This one was more complicated than the first, and was actually two pieces that interlocked. Apparently the one Meti showed to Qui-Gon had been his third attempt, the first two looked even worse. But it appeared that the metal smith was making progress in figuring out the design, and that his fourth try would probably be successful. Qui-Gon certainly hoped so, for it was a vital part, one the comm definitely wouldn?t be able to function without. The Jedi master gave Meti a reassuring, I-have-every-confidence-in-your-abilities sort of smile as he left the metal shop a few minutes later. The man was doing his best, and that was all the big Jedi was asking for.

Qui-Gon headed for Obi-Wan?s next. He was eager to hear how his padawan?s day had gone, and hoped it had been better than yesterday. When he drew near the house, he saw a small crowd of people on their front lawn. Maia was there, as was her friend Rika, along with two twin three-year-old boys and a one-year-old girl. The two native women were deep in conversation. Obi-Wan was there as well, seated a little apart from the others and watching the children play with Toi, since he couldn?t understand what the other young people were saying.

Obi-Wan was delighted, and also a little relieved, when he beheld Qui-Gon approaching. The women broke off their conversation when they saw the big Jedi, and Maia smiled and waved to him. He smiled and waved back, nodded at the others, then turned to his padawan, who had stood up to meet him. ?Hello, Obi-Wan,? he said with a smile.

?Hello, Master,? his apprentice answered, ?how was your day??

?About the same as yesterday, I?m afraid,? Qui-Gon answered with a tired sigh. ?How about we go in the back garden, it?s the perfect place to unwind. It?s too noisy out here,? he added, as Rika?s boys began to laugh and shout, both having managed to climb on Toi at the same time.

?Good idea,? Obi-Wan said, and he indicated to Maia where they were going. She smiled and nodded, and then turned back to her friend.

The Jedi made their way through the house and into the back garden. Qui-Gon sat down

19. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

Jan 13, 2000
    Ohh come now, that is not a fair place to leave it at. Now we need more.

That was a great post by the way!!! BUT we need more. What does Qui need to help Obi with? Does the pig squish him and almost suffocate him to death?

20. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Yes, what? Or does Ren challenge Obi-Wan to some sort of duel? Or does Maia want to start having kids--no, that wouldn't something that Qui-Gon could help with. I mean, should help with.

I liked this post! I liked the way that Obi-Wan is portrayed as sensitive and caring, wanting to fit in, worried about things in the village. I also liked the way Qui-Gon gave him a little pep talk and cheered him up, then went home thinking that he'd do anything for Obi-Wan.

But what a cliff-hanger! Don't leave us there! Hurry up with some more!

Toi, Toi, Toi! (That's German for good luck, by the way.)

21. padawan3

Sep 20, 1999
    You have a gift. You can satisfy a reader when you write but then you leave them dieing for more. You truely have talent.

22. Kelly Kenobi

Kelly Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2000
    Wonderful post Bastet. I loved the pep talk Qui gave Obi. Obi-Wan is such a sweet sensitive young man. But how cruel of you to leave us with a cliffhanger. I sure hope Thursday is the day you can post next, I won't be able to check on Friday or Saturday!

BTW.... I loved to be spoiled and would love to know your ideas for your next story.

23. padawan3

Sep 20, 1999
    Triple T

24. Buffynick60

Buffynick60 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 11, 2000
    Awesome post, but we all want more!!

To the TOP!!!!!!

25. padawan3

Sep 20, 1999
    Is this an inconvient time to ask for more story?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.