main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"When in Rome..." (JA fanfic, version 2)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Bastet, Jul 23, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Superb post Bastet! And to end it with such a foretelling statement, awesome!!!

2. padawan3

padawan3 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 20, 1999
    I think I'll just push this story to the top.

3. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    Okay, I'm just going to warn you now that this post reeks. It's extremely iffy. Action scenes are definitely not my strong point. (Nothing else is either, for that matter. Phooey.) Anyway, I'm sorry that I didn't have this up yesterday, but it gave me a lot of trouble, and took too long to write. Argh! Naturally, I'm not happy with it, but anyway, here you go!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

When Obi-Wan got back to the house that night, Maia was already fast asleep. The young Jedi had to step over Toi to get on his side of the bed, for the floor by his side had become the pig?s favorite spot. Obi-Wan climbed into bed, and soon fell fast asleep to the sound of Toi?s soft snorting.

- - - -

boom?boom?boom?

?Wha?? Obi-Wan awoke suddenly in the dead of night. He had been dreaming about the day the ship had crashed, and he had heard again in his dream the distant explosions that had been the cause. The young Jedi groggily lifted his head; annoyed that he had been awoken by a bad dream. He couldn?t even remember it, only the booming sound of muffled explosions. Moonlight filtered in from the window, allowing him to just make out the shapes of Maia and Toi, who were both still fast asleep. He was just about to lay his head down and try to get back to sleep when he heard again the sound that had been in his dream.

boom?boom?boom?

But now that Obi-Wan was awake, he realized that the sound wasn?t explosions. It was a drumbeat. Were the natives having a party in the middle of the night? Somehow, the young Jedi didn?t think so. Those drums sounded ominous, not at all like the sound you would hear at a party. More like at a funeral, actually. He had a bad feeling about this.

Obi-Wan got out of bed, stepped over Toi, reassumed his belt and boots, then walked quietly over to the window. He could see the shadowy shapes of houses and trees, but nothing else stirred in the late night air. Then he heard it again.

boom?boom?boom?

It was definitely drums, and it was coming from the south, towards the forest where Obi-Wan had hunted earlier in the day. What was going on? He turned from the window when he heard the sounds of Maia stirring on the bed.

?Obae-wahn?? she asked sleepily, sitting up. He could see her frowning at him in the dim light from the moon. Before Obi-Wan could think of anything to say, they heard the sound again.

boom?boom?boom?

Maia gasped. ?Tenali!? she said, her face suddenly full of fright. She jumped out of bed and ran over to the window. Obi-Wan could feel the fear radiating off of her as she scanned the village outside with large eyes. Apparently his concern was justified. But what was she so scared of?

The young Jedi closed his eyes and stretched out his senses. Inexperienced as he was, he couldn?t sense very far, but if he concentrated *really* hard, perhaps he could reach the forest. Their house was one of the southernmost in the village, so it wasn?t too great a distance, roughly a kilometer. He focused his very being on sensing what was in the forest, hoping to be able to find out what those drum beats were all about. Suddenly Obi-Wan?s eyes snapped open. He hadn?t had to reach as far as the forest after all; he had sensed what he was looking for already coming across the fields toward the village. There were several human life forms there, and all were radiating aggressive, bloodthirsty desires. None of them seemed familiar, either, leading Obi-Wan to assume that they were from another tribe, one that was enemies with this one. The village was under attack.

boom?boom?boom?

The drumbeats were still pretty far away, but the life forms Obi-Wan had sensed had been closer than the forest. But if they were trying to attack the village, why would they announce their intentions by playing drums? Everyone was alerted then, and they would be ready and waiting to defend themselves. It didn?t make any sense to the young Jedi. He supposed it was another one of those unfathomable native traditions.

Obi-Wan glanced over at Maia,

4. Jee-dai

Jee-dai Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 8, 2000
    I thought the action sequence was nicely done. :) So what is Obi-wan going to do? Switch to the toga? I bet the features bring out the color in his eyes. :p

5. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Take the toga, Obi-Wan! Take the toga!

Wonderful, wonderful post Bastet! Excellent idea, shutting the attacking warriors in the house! And I loved the way that Obi-Wan did not do everything perfectly. He almost knocked himself out on a rock when he dived for cover, he got hit by an arrow, he got scratches and nicks. Very realistic! It was good, too, the way that Qui-Gon was so deeply asleep that he almost didn't save Obi-Wan in time. It's these little details that make the story come alive, make our heros more sympathetic. Keep up the good work!

6. padawan3

Sep 20, 1999
    That was a decent action sceen. I don't understand why you said it would be iffy. I thought that it was pretty good. Not the best I've ever read but still very good.

7. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Bastet, the action was well done. Like Jane I liked how Obi-Wan messed up a little.

Now that it appears they've been honored by the village Chief I feel even more woried for Maia. It will break her heart when they leave.

8. Kelly Kenobi

Kelly Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2000
    Leona it scares me sometimes how I will read a post, form an opinion and compose my feedback only to read the same thing said by you.

Excellent post Bastet, look forward to more!

9. Buffynick60

Buffynick60 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 11, 2000
    TOP!!!! :) More Soon please

10. Buffynick60

Jul 11, 2000
  11. Buffynick60

Jul 11, 2000
    No Psot yet??? :( thats sad :( ::Thinks:: now im worst off, i just saw the weather, Hurricane Debby headed for Miami :( No Fic for a while
    :( ::head low:: ill see ya again soo my fics, i hope :p :)

12. Kelly Kenobi

Mar 23, 2000
    Me sad.... no new post from Bastet!

13. Bastet

Dec 30, 1999
    Ummmmmm...
    Eep! I don't have enough for a post right now. (please don't hurt me!) This story has hit yet another brick wall in my head, which is really frustrating because I have the whole plot thought out already. I'm just having a hard time trying to fill in the gaps and write it down. That last post took me eight hours! Aaaarrrggghhh! But I do promise to post more tomorrow, it's my day off! Yay! :)

14. Kelly Kenobi

Mar 23, 2000
    Good luck with the next installment, I am sure you will do a good job. I look forward to reading!

15. Buffynick60

Jul 11, 2000
    Rats thats so sad u hit a brick wall :( WEll i wont attack you :) well.... we'll see >:) J/K lol :) WEll i hope its up sooon!!!!!! :)

16. Bastet

Dec 30, 1999
    See? I promised, and here it is. Thanks for not attacking me Buffynick60! ;)
    This post is iffy as usual, but try to enjoy it anyway!
    Oh, and thank you everyone for your kind comments on the last post! :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After the ?feathering? ceremony, as Qui-Gon called it, the natives all headed back outside. The warriors were still surrounding the two Jedi, as if they were forming some sort of honor guard. Everyone was in a very festive mood, all smiles and laughter, as they crowded in and around the ring of stones on the southern end, where a party was soon in full swing. Food seemed to just materialize out of nowhere, and the natives all sat or stood around and enjoyed a delicious breakfast.

Qui-Gon had to admit to himself that he was actually having a good time. The natives? exuberant cheerfulness was infectious, and the Jedi master couldn?t shake off the feeling that there was more going on here than was readily apparent. But he felt sure it had something to do with the captors, something that everyone was getting really excited about. There was an air of great anticipation in the air. Qui-Gon wondered what was going to happen to the captive warriors. Would they be sacrificed, the way he almost was? The Jedi master certainly hoped not.

Qui-Gon looked over at Obi-Wan, who was sitting on a rock next to Maia, enjoying a piece of muja fruit. He appeared comfortable, laughing and smiling at his native wife and those who kept coming up to congratulate him. People were doing it to Qui-Gon too, and he felt truly pleased to have helped these natives resolve the attack on their village peacefully. No one had been killed, as far as he knew about anyway. Which was thanks to Obi-Wan, as the Jedi master readily acknowledged. He was definitely proud of his apprentice; he had showed both quick thinking and the high respect for life that characterized the Jedi. Qui-Gon had been very impressed with his plan, even as they had been running to the guesthouse with all those natives chasing after them. He had been amazed that the plan had gone so smoothly, though. The Force had been with them.

After the lively breakfast party, a flurry of activity began. Several people left on errands, while others remained standing around and talking. Obi-Wan came over to stand by his master?s side. Maia had left on an errand of her own with a young man that must have been her brother.

?Do you have any idea what?s going on, master?? the young Jedi inquired as they both surveyed the flurry of activity around them.

?No, I don?t, padawan,? Qui-Gon said, shaking his head in bewilderment. ?I guess we?ll just have to wait and see.?

?Yes, master,? Obi-Wan nodded, and then he fell silent.

Qui-Gon looked thoughfully over at his apprentice. The boy seemed somewhat preoccupied, but not in a bad way. It seemed that he was satisfied because he had made up his mind about something. The Jedi master was curious, but he decided not to press the issue. Obi-Wan would bring up the subject in his own due time, and so he would wait until the boy was ready.

It wasn?t long before the natives started returning from their errands. To Qui-Gon?s surprise, quite a few of them, including Maia, were bringing their pigs. Others, like her brother, were carrying several lengths of rope, and still others were bringing their farm carts, with Mog included as one of those. They were all heading for a building near the market area. The crowd began to converge on it, and so the Jedi followed suit. There was an excited buzz in the air as the farmers and pig owners began hitching up two beasts to a cart outside among the crowd, while the people with the rope disappeared inside.

Several minutes later, an extraordinary sight greeted Qui-Gon?s eyes when the natives finally began to emerge from the building. A pair each was carrying what looked like a large bundle of rope with a head. The Jedi master realized that they were the warriors who had attacked this morning. The natives carried the captives over to the ca

17. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Oh, excellent post! And so long, too! *does the Jedi Jig of Joy* Wonderful! I loved the Exchange of Hostages. And the way that the two old people were reunited and Obi-Wan suddenly had something in his eye. Sweet!

The thought of Obi-Wan in native costume is delectable, to say the least. What does the green handprint mean? "He's mine, girls, hands off?" Or just plain "Maia was here."?

18. Eryce

Eryce Jedi Master star 2

Feb 29, 2000
    *wipes a mixture of drool and tears off her face, speechless*

19. Buffynick60

Jul 11, 2000
    lol!!! man i cant stop laughing!!!! :) lol i could just imagine!! lol man, but i think obi would look REALLY cute dressed like that if ya know what i mean >;) i loved it !! Hope theres more soon!!! :)

20. Jee-dai

Jee-dai Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 8, 2000
    "Obi-Wan?s chest was bare, and his well-defined muscles and washboard flat stomach were now clearly evident..."

I still have this image in my head. :)

21. Kelly Kenobi

Mar 23, 2000
    Oh the images you painted in that last post will keep me drooling for the rest of the day, I know who will be in my dreams tonight :D !!!!!

The reunion scene was beautilful, the old couple were so touching!

22. Buffynick60

Jul 11, 2000
    i dreamed with a beautiful Obi-wan, dressed in the same attire, carrying me over to our new house lol >:)!!! :)

23. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Wonderful post Bastet and like Jane said, long too!!.

Loved the hostage exchange and celebration. I glad to see both Jedi enjoying themselves. It really is almost a vaction for them.

24. padawan3

Sep 20, 1999
    Oh excellent post. And noe I know what the title means.

25. padawan3

Sep 20, 1999
    Up we go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.