When is the next movie night?

Discussion in 'Toronto, ON' started by PadmeSkywalker, Dec 2, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PadmeSkywalker Jedi Master

star 4
    I haven't had a chance to go to any, or meet you guys for that matter but I would love to get more involved. After all I'll be keeping vigil for Ep II with you guys :) <We are lining up for Ep II right?>

Just be nice to the newbie
  2. TragicLad Jedi Master

star 4
    I think it would take a disaster akin to the CN tower falling over and crushing us all to keep us from lining up for EpII.

It's looking like the next movie night will land on the 8th of December, for the opening of a piece of pure American cheese -- Dungeons and Dragons. And new people are always more than welcome.

It will be nice to finally meet you in person.
  3. Adam-the-Indifferent Jedi Master

star 4
    Sadly or happily depending on your point of view, I will not be able to attend as I have an exam that day and the day after.

I am back in Toronto from December 15 onwards.

4. PadmeSkywalker Jedi Master

star 4
    oooooooohhhhh American cheese movie... sounds good :) What time and where are we meeting?
  5. TheGrandePoobah Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, the usual plan (tm) is thus:

Meet between 6:00 and 7:00 out front of the york cinema, however during the winter months we often meet in front of the Toys R Us in the shopping centre at the North West corner of Yonge and Eglinton. We'll go out for dinner nearby and then catch the 10ish show at the York or the Eglinton if either has it, otherwise the SilverCity. Then there's the post-movie chat and refreshments at Tim's and then we head home sometime in the wee hours of the morn.

For this one, lets say meet between 6:30 and 7:00 in front of the TRU... showtimes will be posted after someone finds out what they are. :)

Hope to see you there.
  6. THEREALSHMII Jedi Master

star 4
    Should we do a head count or shall it be a surprise?
  7. TheGrandePoobah Jedi Master

star 4
    I think I already asked somewhere... but in any event a headcount sounds like a good idea to me, so... who's in?
  8. Adam-the-Indifferent Jedi Master

star 4
    surprise me!

I just don't feel like studying at the moment, so I will add to this thread, I will not be able to make it on friday as I have to study for a poli sci exam the next day.

I can't believe I'm spending $12,000 for, essentielly, 6 months of classes. This is ludicrous. I don't feel $6,000 smarter (the other 6,000 to come next term).

9. Subject Zero Jedi Knight

star 2
    Ohhh....

/:\

I can't go watch the american cheese movie!!! I promised I wouldn't see d&d til my girlfriend came back from Ottawa, and that's on the 23rd.

Hmmmm... I guess I COULD go see it and pretend I didn't. I leave it to Leah if she want's to drag me by the ears or something

>P

Oh, BTW, yes, I actually found a girl who likes fantasy... and more importantly, likes me! What are the odds of someone liking me?

hehehehe!

So I might be in!

:)

SZ
  10. TragicLad Jedi Master

star 4
    [Tragic enters DM mode]
    Subject Zero walks down the dark corridor. Suddenly, he is met with a vicious ear yank attack. <rolls d20 and gets a 10. SZ has an AC of 8 (6 when performing hopping Ken maneouvers) which means that the attack is successful>

"Aha" - says Cristalia, "You're coming to the film."

Now let's roll your spousal/relationship saving throw to see if your new gal finds out about your seeing the film early. This is an important one, so I'll let you roll that one.

Meanwhile, in another part of the dungeon, Adam-the-indifferent was casting Magic Missles at the darkness...
  11. Kenobi2 Jedi Master

star 4
    And upstairs in the dungeon, Kenobi and his Lady in shining armour just stepped through a portal, returning from a trip in time to see said film. (a magical ticket had appeared in my Lady's outstretched palm, unfortunately, she failed her roll and ended up catching it!)

Quite disappointed overall, you'd think they writers just played a game and had the evening recorded then put to film.

So, sadly, I am to say that I will not be joining you all for this cinematic 'treat'

Now if I can just convince some other friends that are coming up to see it, that it's definitely not worth seeing...
  12. TragicLad Jedi Master

star 4
    [pause DM mode for a moment]

>you'd think they writers just played a game and had the evening recorded then put to film.

Personally, I wouldn't consider it a true D&D film otherwise.
    The only thing that would make it a perfect D&D based film is if there was a pause mid-way through, as we see a bunch of teenage guys and gals get up from the table to order some 'za and grab another Mountain Dew.

I knew from the first trailer that this film would make Wing Commander look like art. But sometimes a little cheese can be gouda.

[DM mode continues]
    Kenobi and his lady are deep in psi combat with a Giant Fungal Cheese. Incapacitated, they are unable to assist the rest of the party as they head towards the gawdy, tacky, over-priced, neon laden dungeon. What dangers will await our crew at this 'silver city'?

Meanwhile in the tavern, a fight has broken out. You hear a great bellowing voice cry, "GO FOR THE EYES BOO! GO FOR THE EYES!"

rolls d20....

13. Cristalia Jedi Knight

star 3
    Tragic, I am not an NPC... :mad:

[back in game]
    Although the DM hasn't quite realized it yet, that was not the Cristalia he was looking for. The real Cris (neutral good elven bard) is towing her companion, a shadowy but very loud elven cleric (netural evil, although he wishes badass was an alignment) along the halls towards the dungeon known only as the "Silver City". His AC is actually pretty high, but she cast Charm Person and took 20, besides... :)

Sandwich Boy: *whine* But I wanted to go to Deeptown to pick up some +2 power converters!
    Cris: Too bad. :)
    Sandwich Boy: You know I can't afford to spend my hard-earned gold on crappy movies! Who ever made working at a toy store a profession!(he rolls his d20 to make a bluff check...and rolls a 5. The DC of trying to pull one on your girlfriend is about a 15 on a good day, so he doesn't even approach it.)
    Cris: Yes you can, you got paid yesterday. (sense motive roll, 18) Give it up, you're coming.
    Sandwich Boy: *grrrr* (he rolled a natural 20 on that one)
    Cris: *chuckle*
    Sandwich Boy: That's it! (he initiates a tickle attack towards her...and rolls 19. Her AC is maybe a 15.)
    Cris: *between fits of uncontrollable laughter* Damn you evil characters...you're still coming with!

[session ends as the female player starts chasing the cackling male player around with a hello kitty hammer]

Sandwich Boy: You know, the reason the movie rivals Anaconda for sheer comical seriousness is that the actor originally cast to play the wizard got fired due to contract problems, and being disgruntled, cast a 20th level Confusion spell on the entire cast and crew...ow!
    Cris: Finally! Now hold still so I can whap you with this masterwork Hello Kitty Hammer of Vengeance!
    Sandwich Boy: (reading the stats on said hammer) Ha! You seem to have forgotten that this is a +2 Hello Kitty Hammer of Amourousness!
    Cris: ...oh crap. o_o;
    Sandwich Boy: *pounce!*

....a startled scream is heard, and then the post dissolves into static...

(long story short, we'll be there...whether he likes it or not.) ;)
  14. TheGrandePoobah Jedi Master

star 4
    Okay, showtimes are in:

9:15 at Canada Square. To re-cap, we meet in front of the Toys R Us in the Y&E centre between 6:30 and 7:00, if you're late or can't find us you can call (e-mail me for my cell number if you don't have it) or check for a note on the post in the parking lot by the York.

Hope to see you there.
  15. TragicLad Jedi Master

star 4
    [DM flips to obscure part of Dungeon Master's Guide]

Okay, seems that we really haven't been taking weather considerations into the game. Let's roll the d6 and see what happens here. Hmmmm...
    (rolls die several times followed by much consulting of graphs and charts)

Well, it seems that 100 feet of snow has just fallen. Let's see how this effects your characters.

<scene - highway. Tragic and Tracy are in a +3 car with much snow on all sides. Due to new encumbrance rules relating to snowfall, traffic is not moving>
    Tragic: Maybe if I got out and pushed?

[Exit game mode]

---

Sorry gang. Snow kept us from making it in. The QEW was jammed solid, and I wasn't even going to try transit - what with the Bloor line being all wonky.

Gah. Sucks to be me.
    Hope you all have a good time tonight.
  16. Adam-the-Indifferent Jedi Master

star 4
    so, how was it? who came? no follow up stories for those of us stuck in exams or writting in snow?

details people!
  17. Subject Zero Jedi Knight

star 2
    It was horrid...

No... I can't bear to remember the scenes! NOOOOOOOO!!!!

:p

Oh, it was I Danny (the intolerable), Leah (the evil one), David (the Poohbah of all), and Rupen (thy who's name I'm never sure I spell correctly)

SZ
  18. TheGrandePoobah Jedi Master

star 4
    No, No, No, Joseph is The Evil One.
  19. cwbrune Jedi Padawan

I just gotta get that Stormtrooper and Yoda life-size statues at Silver-City.... HMMMMMMMM S T A R W A R S ........ DOH! It was there when it was just built. I don't know if they took them down or not. I haven't been there in months.
    Here in Edmonton... The new huge theater in West Edmonton Mall... A HUGE, 30 foot Yoda. AMAZING detail, looks just like the little guy! Anyone else see it? No.... I wasn't imagining it........ It does exist! Ya just can't get it out of the theatre! It would make a great garden gnome!
  20. THEREALSHMII Jedi Master

star 4
    Was it really that bad? Is anyone up for that crouching dragon movie by Ang Lee? It got four stars in the paper. I think it opens wide next week....
  21. Adam-the-Indifferent Jedi Master

star 4
    how about next saturday, when greg and myself are back in town?

I'd like to see the movie!
  22. Kenobi2 Jedi Master

star 4
    Heh, first I try to stop some poor fools on this forun from seeing DnD! Then I have to convince my friends that came up from London from seeing it. So we decide to see Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon instead. Well, it was much better that DnD, but really nothing spectacular. The fight scenes were impressive, the wire work was fun but unbelievable (a lack of convincing gravity)

But anyway, I've now seen it and didn't really like it enough to see again.
  23. Adam-the-Indifferent Jedi Master

star 4
    hmmm....what other movie option are there then?

Would be nice to get alot of people to come to this one, new and old, as there won't be much opportunities during the holidays.

What do y'all think?
  24. TheGrandePoobah Jedi Master

star 4
    Whatever the movie, can we make it for Sunday the 17th? I'm busy for the late afternoon and evening of Saturday.

I'd be in for Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon for sure, not sure what other good ones there are.
  25. Adam-the-Indifferent Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm up for any day, I'm in for a Sunday gathering.
    Probably, a late afternoon movie followed by dinner.

Can anyone else commit to that day, with details to follow?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.