main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

when lightsabers clash...

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by original_trilogy, Apr 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. original_trilogy

original_trilogy Jedi Youngling

Mar 15, 2005
    I noticed this while watching ANH last night... why is it that when Obi Wan and Vader are fighting, every time their lightsabers hit each other, a green light shows up? Like when they touch, a large disk-shaped blob of green light is made. I didn't see this happen in any other lightsaber duels. Or is it like that in every duel, and I just missed it or it's not so obvious?

2. BikBreadandallnem

BikBreadandallnem Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 26, 2005
    the technology was much better when Lucas made 4 - 6. They had much better cameras, and digital technilogy was like completely outdated. But now, everything sucks. So we cant get the green blob anymore. I know, it bites.

3. original_trilogy

original_trilogy Jedi Youngling

Mar 15, 2005
    Well, I thought it was just the technology, but if you can still see in the SE, wouldn't GL have edited it out so it wasn't so obvious?

4. Boola Cronk

Boola Cronk Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 5, 1999
    no why get rid of a good thing. That green glob is righteous! That was the way GL originally intended the sabers to look. I hear that they are going back to add the green globs in to the PT as well. Not only to the saber clashes but also over everyone's crotch so that they will look more realistic.

Jacob Aldrich likes this.
  5. BikBreadandallnem

Apr 26, 2005
    That is sweet. Will they also add maybe a black splotch over everyones lips so they look like maybe they were wounded in a small paintball match where things did NOT get out of hand. Well I think so. That green blob is sweet as well as the underrooz seen with Vader. Anyway, lets do this.

6. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    while it's not exactly the same blob, the PT sabers still emit a flash of some kind when they clash...

7. DarthJohnkenobi

DarthJohnkenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2004
    The green flash has always been there. Go watch an old VCR tape of ANH. When the sabers clash the flash is white, but it's there. When the released the DVD the original color was restored and we could see it was green not white.

IIRC there are some similar flashes in ESB and TPM.

8. IncomT65

IncomT65 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 1999
    The technology was much better when Lucas made 4 - 6.

Er... ANH was #4. :confused:

9. Railinalduhs

Railinalduhs Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 26, 2005
    Right. ANH was #4.

10. Wewbacca_the_chookie

Wewbacca_the_chookie Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 19, 2001
    No no, ANH wasnt episode 4. A New Hope was Episode 4. Its easy to get the 3 confused. I always get episode 5 and Empire Strikes Back confused. I had to make out a chart that reminds me which is which.

Anyhoo, back on topic. The green flash is very prevelant in my copy of Episode 1, Attack of the Clones. They flash a couple of times when Dooku and Sidious fight near the end. But, if you replay all the saber clashes in slow motion you will see that in ROTJ they actually couldnt get the lightsabres to make the green flash anymore so they had to manully lower in a green flash object made from high tempered steel and construction paper into the middle of the fights. Its quite obvious after several viewings.

11. Leialong

Leialong Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 26, 2005
    The green blob is actually only visible in the original trilogy because that was when lightsabers were played by midgets.

Now, everything is computer generated, dangit. Stupid Technology.

12. Deeysew

Deeysew Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    It's also good to note that Hamill's new hand was digitally added to episode 6 after he finished filming ESB.

13. Railinalduhs

Apr 26, 2005
    hmmm. Played by Midgets. Good point. I forgot midgets naturally give off green light. they also get really angry when they are drunk. maybe that is why Lucas had to hire 16 giraffes for the movie. They keep the hippos in line whoch in turn need all the stuff for all the things.

14. conaywitchaizze

conaywitchaizze Jedi Youngling

Apr 28, 2005
    What? Giraffes do not keep Hippos in line. The all tam chicken birds do. So they will have to keep this in mind when 47 rolls around.

15. Railinalduhs

Apr 26, 2005
    47? Owe you mean 34? I do not remember the 47.

16. DarthSithLord

DarthSithLord Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2001
    I actually liek the saber clashes and locks better in this trilogy than I ever did in the PT.

They actually seem like real weapons, not plastic alittle glowing sticks you dance with and I'm a swordsmen for 5 years, when I fight swords, I want more.

17. AllTamTranRatCheer

AllTamTranRatCheer Jedi Youngling star 1

May 3, 2005
    I have never been a swordsman, but I did climb a ladder once and I can tell you, I agree with the glow worms.

18. Kinobe

Kinobe Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2003
    This place is getting seriously weird... :confused:

19. Boola Cronk

Boola Cronk Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 5, 1999
    Hey Darth I know what you mean. I used to dance with the glow sticks and believe you me it was embarrasing. But I have to agree, the PT effects are definitely lacking. I dont know about the whole glow worm/midget/hippo/giraffe idea, but if it works, go for it. I always knew that GL had issues with the first trilogy in the way of effects, but never imagined he had come up with such a low-tech way to achieve the green glow.

20. BikBreadandallnem

Apr 26, 2005
    What are you guys talking about? I guess I was away to long. But if you are talking about some light, lets talk about them for a second. Boola, you are way for me. That is why we are built. Hippos??? what? Lets talk trains. Were they?

21. AllTamTranRatCheer

May 3, 2005
    Anyway, the technology back then was semi limiting. So the clash of the savers showed a bright green light. Now a days, the savers are much more sophisticated.

22. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    AllTam, read my PM, please.

23. BikBreadandallnem

Apr 26, 2005
    Savers? Sabers! Anyway All tam I agree. The technology back them was limiting. And now, it is much better on the hole.

24. AllTamTranRatCheer

May 3, 2005
    Yes it was limiting, but now it is better. Much much better. And much nicer too. it is very very nice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.