main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

When making ANH did Lucas intend the Emperor to be a sith?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by JONJEDI, Oct 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JONJEDI

JONJEDI Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 11, 2002
    In ANH I get the impression that the Emperor wasn't meant be this master of the dark side, Ben never said anything in ANH about the Emperor been a sith or that it was him who converted Anakin, he just says Vader was seduced by the dark side. Plus that imperal (don't know his name) who was taking the piss out of Vader for his "Sad devotion to that ancient religion" if the Emperor was a sith too would he of really said that. Plus when it shows you that book that was produced just before Star Wars was released in Empire of Dreams and it shows you a few profiles, on Tarkins one it says about how his ambition to become Emperor? would Tarkin really take Palpatines place as ruler of the Empire? Wouldn't that place go to Vader for simpley been a sith? If you watch ANH and have never seen any of the other SW films you would think that the Emperor is just the man in charge of the whole thing and Vader is just an ex jedi they keep around because he is strong and helped them exterminate the Jedi.

2. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    The Emperor was not meant to be a Sith from start, but the official story says that he hides the fact that he is a Force user from the general public(and from Imperial officers, it seems).
    This may be covered in ROTS, where it's quite possible that only a select few will know of Palpatine's true identity.

3. Lightsabre

Lightsabre Fan Force Founder star 4 VIP

Nov 12, 1999
    would Tarkin really take Palpatines place as ruler of the Empire?

If he had known the Emperor was a master of the force, I doubt he would have such aspirations.

If I were an Imperial, I would have to wonder what the Emperor had to control Vader like he did. Maybe some incriminating photos or tape recorded conversations, but not the force.

Screenplay (Emperor without the force)
    -----------------------------------
    Emperor: "Do nothing and await for my command"

Vader: (under his breath) "I could easily crush your throat without thinking twice"

Emperor: "What was that? Are you giving me lip?"

Vader: "No, my master, I said 'you're throne looks nice'"

Emperor: "You better watch yourself, Vader. Don't forget I have those photos of you and Veers behind the bulkhead on Deck 12."

4. Obi-Shawn-Kenobi

Obi-Shawn-Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 13, 2004
  5. Lightsabre

Nov 12, 1999
    Heh, I thought my post would get more returns than that. I guess I'm not as funny as I want you to think I am.

6. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Just cause people don't reply, doesn't mean they don't find it funny. Just that there's not much point in posting 'lol!' thirty times ;)

For the answer, no, the Emperor was originally a feeble politician controlled by his underlings. By ESB, Lucas had a better grasp of the character and made him the Yoda counter figure.
    I hear in the PT he gets fleshed out even more ;)

7. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    I think by the time ESB came along, GL need someone at the opposite spectrum of Yoda and someone who could put fear into DV, someone who we thought to be the baddest man the galaxy. If Palpatine was just a normal old man without powers, it would have made Vader seemed weak. I'm not sure what GL had planned in ANH, because one of the DS commanders said the Emperor finally disbanded the senate. 20 years after taking power. Makes him seem weak. The rest of the saga seems to forgive any misconceptions.

8. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Obi-wan didnt have time for a long detail story when talking to like. If he said Palpatin or The Emperor it would have been followed up by Luke with more questions on who and why.

9. Lightsabre

Nov 12, 1999
    there's not much point in posting 'lol!' thirty times

LOL

10. Tyrantus

Tyrantus Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 10, 2004
    Of course, right from the start Lucas knew the Emperor would be a Sith. He originally planned that all six movies would be one whole but after he discovered that wouldn't be possible, he decided to show the OT with ANH, ESB, and RotJ and if he ever got the time, go back and make the PT with TPM, AotC, and RotS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.