main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

When Obi-wan attacks Darth Maul he is raging with the Dark Side

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by LordGarofalo, May 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LordGarofalo

LordGarofalo Jedi Youngling

May 12, 2005
    I was watching TPM the other day and I noticed something that made me think a little bit. When Qui-gon is killed by Maul the camera focuses of Obi-wan. His face is scowling with hate and anger and he is obviously boiling with pure rage. When the red shield thing (whatever it is) finally releases him, he flies towards Maul and attacks in a manner similar to how Luke reacted to hearing Vader speak of Leia. I just found it interesting that in this Padawan's younger days he too showed some signs of the dark side- for as Yoda said " fear of loss is a path to the dark side" and I would have to believe that anguish as a result of loss, and the resulting anger, would also represent a path toward darkness.

2. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    yeah obi-wan was pissed, but he regained controle of himself, thought clearly, and won.

3. Iownsoup

Iownsoup Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2005
    Imagine how much darker he would have seemed had he shown no emotion. Even Yoda is deeply hurt during order 66, emotionally.

4. Twinky_Stryder

Twinky_Stryder Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2003
    He was somewhat filled with rage, and Qui-Gon was like a father to him.

Obi-Wan turning to the darkside....

I'd pay good money to see that. [face_devil]

5. Jedi_Jiboom_Vai

Jedi_Jiboom_Vai Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2005
    Emotions rule us all. It's the fact that he felt the urgency to end this fight and try to save Qui-Gon. Notice how dejected he looks when he's hanging on the ledge thing. I think it was more of disbelief and a need to be by Qui-Gon's side that pushed him, not hate or anger.

6. minastirith

minastirith Jedi Youngling

May 17, 2005
    Of course he is. Maul had just fatally wounded his beloved Master. Jedi rein in their emotions, but Obi-Wan was reckless and impatient, which he pointed out in Episode V when Yoda turned from Luke.

It was Obi-Wan's use of the Dark Side which triggered his near death- as a Sith, Maul was able to turn the darkness on Obi-Wan and push his over the edge of the melting pit.

7. RurouniKJS

RurouniKJS Jedi Youngling star 2

May 4, 2005
    MT, you pegged it exactly. Unless his/her name is Skywalker, no Jedi is going to beat a darksider with the dark side.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.