main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

When Sidious Knights Anakin as Darth Vader why does he talk like God?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by black_saber, Dec 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    What I mean to say is that He talks so deep after Anakin helped kill Mace Windu and then Plapatine talks with a Thunder Voice threw the wind. Explantions please.

2. JFKIII

JFKIII Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 23, 2005
    I don't know about any official explanations, but I remember a member of this board had a pretty cool hypothesis. They said (not in these words but something to the effect if ) that it helped demonstrate how Anakin was mesmerized by palpatine now that he had pledged himself to the dark side and the ways of the sith, which is why sidious suddenly had a deeper voice and sounded cooler than usual.

3. PalpatineAntikristos

PalpatineAntikristos Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2002
    You know the sound of the voice of God?

Having said that, my preferred theory is that the voice of Sidious/Palpatine is that of God when not being manipulated by sound editors (see a certain thread with hundreds of pages of responses in the Prequel Trilogy Forum). And no, his voice does not sound "cooler than usual" when manipulated in that scene. If anything, it serves to cheapen what would have been a perfect scene with the talents alone of an acting God. No digital manipulation (waves finger menancingly)!

4. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    No, thats not God. Its mentioned on the dvd commentary, they added reverb to Ians voice during that scene.

5. DUGGY

DUGGY Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 23, 2005
    My God! . It was for Dramatic effect, as far as the Mixing of the scene was concerned. . but for a practical in universe explanation, Sideous was now free of his alter ego ,he was no longer having to hide his True self, and intentions. the Sith's Revenge of a thousand years in the Making was coming to fruition. It was obvious that he was Getting off on , and feeling all the Darkside energy that was rising between him and Anakin. the Darkside was completely dominating the Force at that moment. it was to show the Evil that was now moving against the Jedi. the Evil that consumes Palpatine and Anakin. It was symbolic.

6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I think there's an explaination, not sure if it's official, but it's designed to make it seem like the Dark Side is speaking through Sidious to Anakin. It comes across as intentional, because if you look at Ian in this scene, he sounds like the demon that possessed Regean in "The Exorcist".

7. JediCouncilMaster

JediCouncilMaster Jedi Youngling star 6

Jun 23, 2005
    It's more of a simple way of saying "Evil has triumphed over good...for now" if that makes any sense. Palpatine a.k.a has totally turned into a monster of evil which George wanted to prove that Palpatine is evil in ever part of his body. Not even a pint of good. Total Evil. [face_devil]

8. mixza

mixza Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2004

Yeah he sounds kind of evil... God doesn't sound evil, lol. I get what you're saying though, and I figure it doesn't matter why, it's just a cool effect. ;)

9. jedipadawanjoe14

jedipadawanjoe14 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 7, 2005
    ok, officail reason

they did that to show that he had just gone through and intese session of the darkside flowing through him

10. DMWseeker

DMWseeker Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 5, 2005
    Unfortunatly, the individual who discerned a viable concept for the alteration of the voice of Sidious has left the forums. He indicated his departure to me. However, I retain the text where he propounded the evaluation of the circumstance that is demonstrated in the film.

Remember THE_DARTH_MOONWALKER as the one who revealed the truth of this instance of "Revenge of the Sith".

He posted thus:

Anakin was brainwashed.
    When you see Skywalker bow before the Dark Lord, we hear Sidious's voice drop into a deep, demonic drawl - he is inside Anakin's head. Anakin will be haunted by this voice for the rest of his life - it is the same disembodied voice speaking to Anakin when he is waiting in the Jedi Council. "If I die, my knowledge dies with me." (paraphrase?)

This is what it is like to be mind tricked by the Sith. This is how "hundreds of senators are under the influence of a Dark Lord of the Sith." These senators aren't weak minded people - the Sith can literally, physically "twist your mind", as Obi-Wan says.

Palptine drills his lies into Anakin's skull.

PALPATINE
    "The Jedi's next move will be against the Senate."
    ANAKIN
    "I agree, the Jedi will soon attack the Senate."

Anakin repeats and agrees with everything Sidious says, like he's hypnotized. He has no reason to believe the Jedi would attack the Senate. He has lost his soul and his mind to Sidious - it sounds like The Emperor actually inhales Anakin's soul when Young Skywalker bows before him.

"Don't underestimate the powers of the Emperor"

Look at Dooku. Qui-Gon Jinn, his own apprentince, was murdered by the Sith - Dooku knew this but turned to the darkside anyway. Anyone - even those who join the Sith with the intention of destroying them - who lowers their guard to the Sith make themselves vulnerable to their mind warping powers.

This makes the Luke situation at the climax of ROTJ all the more perilous. Sidious is trying to con Luke into feigning alliegance to the Sith to save his friends. Merely feigning alliegance to the Sith gives Sidious enough of a hole to get inside your head and rearrange your thoughts and beliefs. Sidious knew he wouldn't be able to argue Luke over to the darkside - all he needed was an opening. Its kind of like inviting a vampire into your house. Even if you do so with the intention of killing the vampire - by opening your door to the evil spirit, you've allowed yourself to become helpless to its grip. And like a vampire, the Sith's poisonous venom can transform anyone into a monster.

The truth is nearly irrefutable when coupled with the significant extent of effort to substantiate the support subsequent to this post.

Remember the Darth Moonwalker.

DMW (Darth Moon Walker) Seeker

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  11. Richard-Drahcir

Richard-Drahcir Jedi Master star 3

Feb 18, 2004
    That's an excellent expplanation there, DMW Seeker.

12. Maranelo_Jori

Maranelo_Jori Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 22, 2004
    Well, to me he sounds more like drunk than God.

13. Darth-DeathStick

Darth-DeathStick Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 6, 2005
    I think it was just an effect to add to his 'evilness'. To show that we is out of the closet so to speak.

14. MasterP

MasterP Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jun 8, 2003
    I think the lightning had caused Sidious not only facial damage but also damage to his voice. His voice may have been changed due to the lightning Mace Windu deflected back into him. But in episode I and II Sidious had the same deep voice. Since the Jedi knew who Palpatine was, there wasn't any reason for Sidious to hide what his vopice really sounded like.

15. SEPARATESICKLEROOK2

SEPARATESICKLEROOK2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 1, 2003
    He sounds like Lucifer, and I would know cuz hes my dad.

16. lighteninggun

lighteninggun Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 17, 2003
    OR, he has completely immersed himself in the darkside. At times, he almost sounded orgasmic while he is speaking. I'm reminded of Big Trouble in Little China, when Lo Pan says, "my soul swims in it", referring to the darkest magic. Sidious is swimming in the pure evil of the darkside, and his voice reveals that. Its like he took a big hit off the darkside joint, and after a while he calms down.

17. El Kabong

El Kabong Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 28, 1999

In the words of Mr Horse: "No sir, I dont like it." If Anakin was just the victim of a long term Jedi Mind Whammy or brainwashing, it totaly undermines his redemption in Jedi. If free will - the choice to be good or to be evil - is removed from the equasion, then theres no point to it at all.

Manipulated, yes. Palpatine played them all like a master conductor. But Anakin as a mind controled puppet removes any drama from the saga.

18. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    No, not a mind whammy. But it was hypnotic in a sense. Anakin was tricked in the sense that the only reason he would join the Dark Side, is that he would have the power to save Padme. And he was tricked into siding with Sidious over the Jedi. But he did go willingly, because he could refuse his offer or let Mace finish him.

19. DarthGroznii

DarthGroznii Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 30, 2005
    That's because Palpatine is God.

Seriously, he had just expended a great deal of Dark Side energy, and it was flowing through him, full force.

20. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    I like that explaination.

21. Darth_Manic

Darth_Manic Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 27, 2005
    I like to think that Palpatine was enjoying the moment.

22. IKilledSifo-Dyas

IKilledSifo-Dyas Jedi Master star 2

Aug 6, 2003
    Explanation from the most recent issue of Star Wars Insider magazine (Ask The Master section):

".....The Sound Editors for Episode III did change the pitch of Palpatine's voice at George Lucas' request to make the scene spookier.It is the sound of the dark side flowing,unrestrained and unbalanced,through a master Sith Lord for the first time in ages."

23. KILLER-CLONE

KILLER-CLONE Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 28, 2005
    Man, if that's the sound of God, then I've just found one more reason to book myself into Hell.

24. LLL

LLL Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2000
    In the words of Mr Horse: "No sir, I dont like it." If Anakin was just the victim of a long term Jedi Mind Whammy or brainwashing, it totaly undermines his redemption in Jedi. If free will - the choice to be good or to be evil - is removed from the equasion, then theres no point to it at all.

Amen and amen!

25. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    Sidious isn't God. Just Ian.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.