main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

When Star Wars Ruled The World, VH1 Special!

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Orionsangel, Sep 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orionsangel

Orionsangel Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    I saw a commercial for a VH1 Star Wars Special, airing next Saturday Sep. 18, 10/9c PM. I got it from the tail end, Kevin Smith was talking about the influence of Star Wars. Found somemore information, go to the link.

http://www.vh1.com/shows/dyn/when_ruled_the_world/82279/episode.jhtml

2. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I took the liberty to fix the link. you missed a w in (w)ww :)

3. donsolo

donsolo Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 3, 2004
    strategicly airing 3 days before the DVDs come out... nice ;)

4. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Well, this is why I don't make threads. Just... don't do it...

5. Orionsangel

Feb 11, 2004
    Someone will probably make a thread on Friday or Saturday and think they're the first to report it. Well I'm here to annouce that I reported this news first and I get all the glory! No one here better forget it! Muawahahaha! Okay, that was pointless.

6. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yes, yes it was. But thanks for letting me know anyway ;)

Ah, I do love it though. You just know from this we're going to be riding a marketing wave all the way up to RotS... a sweet marketing wave that includes many things to make fangirls and boys nod off to sleep smiling :)

But wait, what do they mean *when* it ruled the world. It still rules my world :(

-sj loves kevin spacey

7. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    I thought Kevin Smith hated SW? He really slammed the prequels.

8. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Dude, haven't you heard? It's cool to be all retro but slam the prequels :cool:

[face_plain]

-sj loves kevin spacey

9. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    He slammed TPM a bit. He loved AOTC.

Rick McCallum loves you!

10. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    It still rules the world. People just... uh... forgot that. ;)

11. JediOverlord

JediOverlord Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2000
    Does anybody get the feeling this is going to be one of those I Love The (whatever decade here)/Best Week Ever-type shows VH1 does,with C-list comedians riffing on the films? If it is,count me out. And the pronoun "When" doesn't sound good either.

12. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    VH1 sucks. I always ask myself how sick those morons on "The faboulos live of...." are. Everyone is like super amazing and if you aren't rich you're probably a retard anyway, like that's the World, ey?

Yuck!

13. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    DLM, I like to think it rules the world in the way Palpatine rules the galaxy in the PT- they don't know it yet, but they're about to get an awakening.

-sj loves kevin spacey

14. The_Good_Twin

The_Good_Twin Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 6, 2003
    Oh, I want my VH1 back! :( :_| ;)
    And I don't care if VH1 sucks, it can't be worse than MTV POP 2!
    Why can't I watch 'When SW Ruled The World', it's not fair! :(
    Anyway.... :_| ;)

:D :D :D

15. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Actually, these 'Ruled the World' shows usually have one host and are positive. Course, I'd expect the PT to be bashed... *sigh*

16. DarthHutt

DarthHutt Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 2, 2000
    They'll definitely bash the PT, that almost goes without saying.
    I'm just wondering if they'll pre-emptively bash EP3 and the OT DVD changes as well.

That channel thrives on negativity.

17. Razorback

Razorback Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 2, 2001
    I thought Kevin Smith hated SW? He really slammed the prequels.

I love when people make up things and then spread them around... not. Get your facts together.

He never said that he hated TPM, and he never slammed it. He said that he had seen TPM once and that he liked it but that "once was enough." AOTC, on the other hand, he loved. He has also stated that he is a fanboy waiting for Episode III.

RB

18. Cheebo86

Cheebo86 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 1, 2003
    He also is a subscriber to Hyperspace!

19. BauconBatista

BauconBatista Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2004
    When Star Wars Ruled The World

Yup. Those two bolded words are enough to pinch any excitement I could've had.

And if you think that VH1 won't dare to openly bash the PT, remember that they are the same network who pompously declared AOTC a "flop" in late 2002.

Well, they can go to hell anyway. If I'm ever in need of nostalgic memories, I'll just watch the Empire of Dreams documentary repeatedly ;)

20. Orionsangel

Feb 11, 2004
    The special is airing early!

2PM & 10PM on VH1 today.

21. Otis_Frampton

Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 7, 2001
    It's on.

Carrie Fisher's breasts have a prominent role.

-Otis

22. green-boy

green-boy Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 11, 2004
    It just ended. It was an alright TV special. Two thumbs up!

23. sabo-wan

sabo-wan Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 15, 2001
    Yep. I watched it since the Nebraska vs. Pittsburgh game is dragging big time and my beloved Buckeyes aren't playing until 3:30. Anyway, it was actually a pretty good special. Some funny moments in interviews w/ Ford, Fisher, Hamill, Kirshner, Daniels, and others and some fun behind the scenes footage. Also, I one of the behind the scenes shots undoubtedly proves that the "vest continuity error" that some fans claim has been digitally removed in the carbon freeze scene is not a vest; it IS A SHADOW!! A quick shot shows Harrison Ford stepping taking a few steps back to get into his light behind the clapper before filming, and before he steps behind the clapper, you can clearly see his BRIGHT WHITE shirt, but as he steps behind it, it appears as though he's wearing a jacket or vest.

24. pika122689

pika122689 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 2, 2003
    Cool I just watched it. Great! :D

25. newwillorder

newwillorder Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 29, 2004
    For those who need refreshment, here's an excerpt of Kevin Smith FilmComment article on AOTC:

"...From the get-go, Lucas captures my limited imagination with one simple proposition. Darth Vader was once a teenager. How pedestrian,yet how profound! Evil's gotta start somewhere, right? Why not show why Johnny can't read - or in this case, can't play well with others, and insists on using the Force to choke underlings who don't live up to his expectations? From the hit-or-miss origin of Phantom Menace's take on baby Anakin as the galactic Hitler in short pants, Clones ups the ante by presenting us with the heart of darkness right where everyone's always known it lies: in the passions of a volatile high schooler.

Right off the bat, Anakin is portrayed as a kid who thinks he knows more than he does, and insists on proving to everybody that he's as good as them, if not better. I went to high school with his guy. Granted, he didn't grow up to carbon-freeze anybody (in truth, I believe he works at a Shell station now), but had he been given a lightsaber and taught how to pull the Jedi Mind Trick on folks, he might've.

In Clones, Anakin is a twelfth grader with a license and parents who want him home by eight: he's a disaster waiting to happen. Who else but a tortured teen leaps out of a sky-speeder to capture a bounty hunter who's talked smack about his girl (or, in the case of Clones, set loose killer centipedes in her bedroom)? With little-to-no concern for his own well-being, based largely on his assumption that he's immortal (that worst of teenage attributes), young Skywalker forces Zam Wessel's craft (how sad is it that I'm 31 and I know the name of a character who's never really identified and appears only fleetingly in the film?) to crash-land in a densely populated city, and then pursues her (it) into a bar only to watch his mentor, Obi-Wan Kenobi, make the final collar. And how does the Force-ful whelp wrap it all up with the wide-eyed cantina bystanders? He tosses them a condescending "This is Jedi business." The balls on this kid! ...

There's something bittersweet about the fall of Darth Vader now, that hadn't existed before Clones: had his mother simply died of old age, the guy might never have developed that extreme case of asthma he seems to suffer from in Star Wars, Empire, and Return of the Jedi.

Which leads to the most haunting moment of Clones for me: when Anakin breaks down to his puppy love, Amidala, and confesses that he butchered that no-good bunch of sand-eating bandage wearers with his hi-tech Zippo. This scene really resonated with me, because Amidala wears this expression that very quietly says "Holy Christ I'm in love with a human time-bomb." The sad, hopeless look on her face upon learning of his murder spree brought to mind that moment in Jedi when Luke asked Leia if she rememered what her (and his) mother was like. Leia (in what may be Carrie Fisher's finest hour in the original trilogy) reminisced that her mother always seemed sad. Here, nearly 20 years later, we get to see what Leia was talking about.

And that's what worked best for me about the Anakin arc in Clones: the doomed love affair of Anakin and Amidala. Most of the critics dismissed this as the flick's most ham-fistedly handled aspect, but I thought it played out tragically and beautifully. High marks to both Hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman, because I completely bought their relationship. He wants her desperately without really even know! ing why, as do all teenage boys when they find who they assume is their one-true in high school. And even though she knows this guy is poison, she can't help but fall for him - the little slave-boy that grew up to be a conflicted, impetuous hat tank who insists everyone's giving him a raw deal. In high school, the really hot chicks always went for the massive ****-ups, and eventually wound up married to them. But this marriage doesn't end in small town affiars and divorce; this marriage ends with the girl scattering her kids across the galaxy to save them from their father,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.