main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL When Star Wars Ruled the World : VH1 Special

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Dex_Luminara, Sep 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dex_Luminara

Dex_Luminara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2004
    I apologize for the length but this show looked interesting in the commercial. Thanks to "SirSteve" for this info. By the way what they showed in the commercials were NEW interviews (i.e not the ones in the new DVD set).

A long-shot science fiction project that was rejected by multiple Hollywood studios, Star Wars (and its creator George Lucas) defied the skeptics and became one of the biggest pop culture phenomena of all time. Now VH1 is working with Lucasfilm to produce the ultimate oral history of the Star Wars years, When Star Wars Ruled the World. Timed to coincide with the DVD release of the original trilogy on September 21, 2004, this hour-long documentary will take viewers back to those rapturous moments when the whole world wanted to wield a light saber.

The show begins in the mid-1970s as George Lucas struggles to find a way to make his dream project a reality. Relive the incredible and unlikely impact of the first Star Wars movie, the sudden fame of unknowns like Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher, and the way fans around the world fell in love, first with the movie and then with the action figures, pillow cases, C-3PO cereal and everything else they could - and did - line up to buy. Manufacturers could hardly keep up with the demand for anything and everything Star Wars (swamped by clamoring fans, the official Star Wars toymaker, Kenner, at one point had to settle for selling vouchers for yet-to-be-made action figures.)

The show will also chronicle the immense anticipation for the first Star Wars sequel, The Empire Strikes Back and the build-up to the climactic Return of the Jedi that had fans traveling hundreds of miles to visit the gates of the movie's set. Along the way, we will highlight the cultural impression made on millions of fans by Star Wars icons like Darth Vader, Ewoks, and Yoda, and lines like "I am your father," "That's no moon. It's a space station," and, "May the force be with you."

INTERVIEW LIST:
    Mark Hamill - Luke Skywalker
    Carrie Fisher - Princess Leia
    Harrison Ford - Han Solo
    Anthony Daniels - C-3P0
    Kenny Baker - R2-D2
    Peter Mayhew - Chewbacca
    Billy Dee Williams - Lando Calrissian
    John Williams - Composer
    Gary Kurtz - Producer on first two Star Wars movies
    Kevin Smith - Director / Superfan
    Frank Oz - Yoda
    Ming-Na - Superfan
    Ken Ralston - Visual Effects
    Alan Ladd Jr. - Fmr. President, 20th Century Fox
    Irvin Kershner - Director, Empire Strikes Back
    Jeremy Bulloch - Boba Fett
    Warwick Davis - Wicket the Ewok
    Daphne Zuniga - Actress, Spaceballs
    Nicole Miyamoto - Superfan
    William Miyamoto - Superfan
    Mike Schiffbauer - Superfan
    Ben Burtt - Sound

Showtimes:
    VH1, Sat Sep 18 02:00pm EDT
    VH1, Sat Sep 18 06:00pm EDT
    VH1, Sat Sep 18 10:00pm EDT
    VH1, Sun Sep 19 12:00am EDT
    VH1, Sun Sep 19 02:00am EDT
    VH1, Sun Sep 19 11:30am EDT
    VH1, Mon Sep 20 03:00pm EDT
    VH1, Tue Sep 21 01:00pm EDT
    VH1, Tue Sep 21 10:00pm EDT
    VH1, Wed Sep 22 01:00am EDT
    VH1, Thu Sep 23 05:00pm EDT

2. darthgoat

darthgoat Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    Look how many show times!!!

If you miss this you really must suck.

3. Schph_Gochi

Schph_Gochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    Somehow....I will probably end up missing them....
    my TV has a severe case of dust lately...even missed the g-dam special that I started a thread on....

4. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    It sounds sweet,I`ll definatly tune in. Thanks for the heads up Dex :D

5. darthgoat

darthgoat Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    It was a pretty interesting special. However it is a lot of stuff that is rehashed from Epire of Dreams. The coolest part is near the end when they talk about the fandom. There are also "superfans" interspersed throughout the special which was cool.

Oh and Ming Na is super hot.

6. TheExecutor

TheExecutor Jedi Master star 3

Nov 8, 2002
    It was a pretty interesting special, but a lot of it was cut from the LD (THX) letter box set, nothing realy new but the intervies!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.