main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

When talking OT, dont call the Emperor, Sidious. PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by WhiskeyGold, Nov 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Is it just mean that is bugged by this? PEople call The Emperor or Palpatine, Sidious when talking about him in the OT movies.
    Does anyone call Obi-wan, BEN when talking about him in the PT movies? NO!
    In the OT books (on the movie) and in the movies he is Palpaine or The Emperor.
    You guys need to rescept him, call The Emperor or at least Palpatine.

Its like calling Vader, Anakin in the OT films
    Like calling Obi-wan, Ben, in the PT films
    When it comes to the OT and name Sidious, that name no longer has any meaning. He know long needs to hide who he is, no reason for a fake name.

2. jengafett

jengafett Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2004
    uh dude....take a chill pill. It's just a name.

3. Anonx

Anonx Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 8, 2002
    What I'm annoyed with, is when people demand not to call him that. Since Sidious is his Sith name (not a fake name), we should be able to refer to him as that if we feel like it.

4. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    And as of late I've had quite the habit of calling Vader Anakin.

5. NZPoe

NZPoe Jedi Master star 4

Nov 21, 2001
    *HUGS* for Angry-First ;) :D

Some OT fans here are also saga fans in the Saga, the Emperor is a Sith Lord and his Sith name is Sideous. As far as I'm concerned, personally, it is his real name as it reflects his real nature.

6. thecleric007

thecleric007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2003
    Um...right. We don't call Obi-wan "Ben" in the PT because he hasn't taken that name on yet. But we know that the Emperor can be called Darth Sidious during the OT. No one uses it, but it's still his name.

And I also call Vader "Anakin", because IMO they are the exact same person. As are Palpatine, the Emperor and Darth Sidious.

The Cleric 007

7. Warrior_of_Mandalore

Warrior_of_Mandalore Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2003
    I think that the Emperor reflects his real nature more accuratley. Palpatine has always wanted one thing: power. The title Emperor best reflects the fact that he has attained this goal. Plus, once he becomes Emperor, he can make people call him whatever he wants. Since he picked Emperor, he obviously prefers it.

Warrior_of_Mandalore Strikes Again!

8. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    Well, "The Emperor' is more of a title, not really a name. You'd have to extend it to "Emperor Palpatine" to get a name, I think... that's his public name. And Darth Sidious is his private name. Because of the way things happen, Vader's sith name happens to be his public name in the OT and Anakin Skywalker is his private name then. We know all of them, so when Palpatine/Sidious is showing his private persona as a Sith, we may well use Sidious. And when Vader/Anakin is displaying traits that show his private persona as a former Jedi and father, we may well be inclined to call him Anakin. Especially when our attention is drawn (as in the releases of Ep. 1/2) to situations that muddy the waters.

9. Darth_Sammy52

Darth_Sammy52 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2004
    When talking OT, dont call the Emperor, Sidious. PLEASE!

Um, why not? I mean, that's his name isn't it?

10. Warrior_of_Mandalore

Warrior_of_Mandalore Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2003
    ^^^Palpatine is just as much his name as Sidious. More so, actually, since more than two people actually know the name Palpatine.

Warrior_of_Mandalore Strikes Again!

11. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    ^ I never said Palpatine wasn't his name; when I said 'private name', I meant the name that was most secret and used for a private persona-- ie, private. Secret-- well, obviously, we both agree that not many people in the films knew the name Sidious. Private persona-- it's his identity as a Sith, which is rather clearly not well known (If anyone needs convincing of this, there are threads about the subject somewhere around here).

EDIT: Oops, sorry, spaced out and thought you were talking to me. But just because Palpatine is one of his names, doesn't mean we can't use another of them when we want to.

12. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Just call him Frank

by the way, I always call him Palpatine (or Palpy) in the CT and when he's the Senator/Chancellor in the PT - it's only Sidious for me in his undercover hood-n-cloak outfit ;)

And I usually call Obi-Wan Ben when referring to the CT.

The famous villain in black armor is always Vader for me, never Anakin. See another thread on this ;)

13. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    I usually stick with Palpatine throughout.

Palpatine over Sideous/Emperor
    Obi-Wan over Ben
    Dooku over Tyrannus
    Anakin is the only character who I'll regularly refere to as two people. Anakin/Vader.

14. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Considering that we never hear anyone in the OT call him "Palpatine" either, I don't see the big deal.

Rick McCallum loves you!

15. thecleric007

Oct 3, 2003
    ^ a very good point.

I really don't think it should matter much what you call him, people know who you're talking about. I generally just stick with Palpatine, because that's the name most people know him by in all 6 movies.

But just because the PT ends doesn't mean he stops being Darth Sidious.

The Cleric 007

16. PalpatineAntikristos

PalpatineAntikristos Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2002
    What does your daughter call him, FirstStarWars? Does she refer to him as the Emperor only for the OT or for both the PT, as Sidious, or the OT, as the Emperor? I believe you mentioned in one of your "5-year old" posts that she still doesn't recognize that Sidious=Palpatine, yet she does seem to recognize that Sidious (PT) is the OT Emperor. Thus, calling him Sidious for the OT would be, from the perspective of a 5-year old, more accurate than calling him Palpatine. Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.

17. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    Talk about hostilities.

I guess I shouldn't even bring up that I call Darth Vader "Ani" in ESB.

18. SaberGiiett7

SaberGiiett7 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    Don't call Sidious! Whatever you do! It pisses me off! Aaaaahhhrgggh! :mad:*sarcasm*

<[-]> Saber

19. thecleric007

Oct 3, 2003
    I guess I shouldn't even bring up that I call Darth Vader "Ani" in ESB.

LOL...what a horrible nickname for a boy. "Naki" would have been much better.

Of course, I now use that for Anakin SOLO to differentiate.

The Cleric 007

20. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    So do we know for a fact that Sidious and Palpatine are one in the same. They look a lot different in the trailer. There has to be a reason for that. And that reason could change what he would be called in the OT. Sorry, not mean to go Prequel. I just hope Lucas didn't make one of the a CLONE!!! PLEASE LUCAS PLEASE!!

I dont read spoilers so if I am wrong, and he is clone dont tell me.

anyone, I will call him The Emperor or Mr Pal when talking OT. That's me.

Oh, my daughter, she see them really as two people still. Not 100% sure they are the same.

As for me, I dont know spoilers so I cant say without a doubt that they are the same also.

21. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    he does age 30 years

22. majin_yami

majin_yami Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 14, 2004
    The Emporor is known to the public as Emporor Palpatine and Palpatine is his real name, but was then Knighted Darth Sidious by his master. So to Darth Vader, he is "My Master" or "Lord Sidious". And don't bring up the arguemet on that we should call Darth Vader Anakin because he says in ROTJ, that name has no meaning for him.
    (I'm not entirely sure if this amkes sense, but I know what I mean...I think)

23. Emos-Edud

Emos-Edud Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2002
    Lucas never uses the names interchangeably. In the PT he calls the character by whatever name is being currently used in the scene. Check the commentaries. All Palpatine scenes have Lucas talking about Palpatine and all Sidious scenes have Lucas talking about Sidious. In the OT commentaries, Lucas always uses the name The Emperor when talking about the character. For whatever reason, Lucas seems quite fastidious about these name distinctions. Curious.

24. NZPoe

NZPoe Jedi Master star 4

Nov 21, 2001
    Actually, according to the "EU" (IF you follow it), the Emperor in ROTJ is in fact A CLONE. In the EU it is revealed that the Dark Side causes rapid aging and bio-deterioration and that Palpatine discovered cloning prior to the Clone Wars as a means of keeping himself alive. That's the EU explanation of how Palps found cloning and saw how it could help him rise into power.

Palpatine's last clone - and his soul - was finally destroyed about 6 years after ROTJ during the "Dark Empire" Saga where Luke finally succumbs to the Dark Side and annihilates its grip from within.

That is....if u give a flying womprat about the EU.

25. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    wait a minute, Dark Empire didn't really say The Emperor in RotJ was a clone!? You gotta be kidding. I pray you just interpreted things differently.
    That would be ridiculous. I don't want Dark Empire to be ridiculous. It's enough that it's ugly

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.