main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

When talking OT, dont call the Emperor, Sidious. PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by WhiskeyGold, Nov 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emos-Edud

Emos-Edud Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2002
    I remember reading that Lucas actually enjoyed "Dark Empire" and gave the author high praise. Go figure.

2. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    wait a minute, Dark Empire didn't really say The Emperor in RotJ was a clone!?

"It wasn't the first time I died, nor will it be the last."

-Clone Palpatine, Dark Empire 1

Go figure...

3. Emos-Edud

May 29, 2002
    The first time is probably in ROTS then. Isn't there going to be an EU character in there somewhere? Hmm.

4. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    I liked Dark Empire. It had some great ideas, just not particularly well executed. I think it would have worked better as a much longer novel given the subject matter it was trying to work through. Though the biggest criticism is receives - that Luke would never turn and it's an insult to Anakin's sacrifice - baffles me. To me, the lesson we learned is that Jedi will always have to make the choice every single day of their life. As a Skywalker, Luke already has a cold legacy of the dark side behind him, and many of the flaws he personally has are the ones Anakin himself had. Luke's decision to denounce the dark side on the Death Star was telling me what kind of character he always will remain - one that straddles the fence, who sometimes makes the wrong decisions, but always comes back to the light. (Besides, Luke didn't turn on purpose. He did it because he wanted to destroy it inside out and just wound up tapping into the darker aspect of himself. His mistake was likely one many Jedi had made before.)

But *cough* back on topic...does it really matter what we call characters? o_0 After we learned Vader was Luke's dad, I always flip-flopped between the names I called Vaderkin. Same with most of the other characters who have changed. I call Obi Wan "Ben" sometimes when I refer to the PT. *shrugs* It's just nature.

IMO, it's only a problem if you're giving away a spoiler. (Hint, hint everyone - Anakin turns to the dark side in movie 3! *audience gasp*)

-Chao-chan

Psst - You guys are so mean. :p I thought Anakin's nickname was cute. I just hated how the book spelled it. :confused:

5. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    I don't think anyone really knows how often Palpatine died, but he always had a clone standing by for him to host his spirit, or a soul, if its possible for the man to have a soul. ;)

I highly doubt that Palpatine would die in ROTS, isn't it Lucas's standpoint that the Emperor was never a clone? By killing him off in ROTS he would then be going back on his word (not like that happens). Though he did like the DE comics.... so perhaps it is possible.

6. Emos-Edud

May 29, 2002
    Lucas has never made a declarative statement on the subject, so who knows?

7. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    But is it ever implied in the slightest? I don't think so. So I don't know where on earth the DE-writer(s) got that idea from :confused:

8. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    He made it up

9. thecleric007

thecleric007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2003
    I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Lucas has done things based on what the EU said before (the name Coruscant for example).

I still don't see why what name we call him should be an issue. They are all talking about the same person.

The Cleric 007

10. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Well if the Emperor in DE was a clone, why stop at having the one in ROTJ being the original? It can just as easily be said that the Palpatine killed by Vader was a clone or the original copy. Either one works just as well, and since there is a clone in DE, it does make some sense to say that the ROTJ Emperor was a clone as well.

11. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    So, theoretically, one could say "Sidious is a clone of Palpatine"??
    [face_laugh] Try that in 3SA.

12. Emos-Edud

May 29, 2002
    No, you better not do that. Apparently you are no longer allowed to speculate freely. I think perhaps some of the mods there have a time machine, the way they speak so certainly about something they have not seen yet.

13. Samot

Samot Jedi Master star 1

Jul 20, 2004
    I call him Steve...

14. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    Vader: What is thy bidding, my master?
    Emperor: Please... call me Steve.
    Vader: oh right, how could I forget?

15. Jedi_Knight_Jonas

Jedi_Knight_Jonas Jedi Master star 3

Sep 26, 2003
  16. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    That's because DE is a truly great story, and one of the few EU stories to actually approach the scope of the films. DEII and EE notwithstanding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.