main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga When The Hunter Becomes The Hunted (Obi, Asajj) Thanks to readers!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jennifer_Lyn, Sep 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jennifer_Lyn

Jennifer_Lyn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 8, 2005
    Title: When The Hunter Becomes The Hunted
    Author(s): Jennifer_Lyn
    Timeframe: Interology
    Characters: Obi-Wan, Asajj Ventress and evil OCs
    Genre: Drama
    Summary: Asajj Ventress appears on Tatooine looking for Obi-Wan's help.
    Notes: The galaxy's largest thank you to my awesome Evil Master oqidaun for getting this thing going! Be sure to let me know if you want pm reminders!
    Disclaimer: Hi Uncle George! This is not the author you're looking for, move along!

Winner: 'Best Canon Story' and 'Best Canon Interpretation, Male- Obi-Wan Kenobi' 2006 Summer Saga Awards!
    Eek! Story of the month for October 2006!

Truncated by the upgrade. You can find the whole story here: http://extant-holocron.livejournal.com/tag/when the hunter becomes the hunted

When The Hunter Becomes The Hunted

Obi-Wan Kenobi left the small cantina and although he was unsure of his destination, began walking briskly through waning light of the two setting suns. All his senses were sharply attuned to his surroundings as he made his way down the street. After walking a few blocks he ducked into an alley between two of the town?s retail establishments. The detritus of hurried shoppers that lined the passage?s edges gave proof that the short cut was well known and well traveled. With darkness falling, the customers had made their way to the safety of their homes leaving the passage empty but for the Jedi Master. Obi-Wan had walked a good way toward the street at the opposite end when he stopped suddenly, as if coming to some decision and, setting his shoulders, turned around and spoke into the dim light.

?You have been following me for quite some time now. Why don?t you show yourself so we can both get on with our business??

After a few moments a grey-cloaked figure appeared from around the corner, barely distinguishable in the fading light. At last Obi-Wan had a visual confirmation of the being that had been relentlessly tracking his movements for the last two weeks. The Force was strong with this being and its shields were locked down tight, preventing him from fathoming its intentions and identity.

Obi-Wan had come to Mos Espa in an effort to ensure the safety of his mission on Tatooine. The Lars family was important to the future of the galaxy and it was his duty to watch over them. He had been relieved when, like the jaja bird from its nest, he had been able to draw the predator?s attentions away from those he was charged to protect. He was not concerned with any dangers to himself, he had been in similar situations his entire life, but Luke was still very young and had much living to do before he faced such trials. Obi-Wan?s attention returned to the slowly approaching figure and he tried again to probe for answers. He could sense that the being within the dark hood was weary. Cracks were beginning to show in its mental armor.

?Your shields have been slipping a bit the last two days.? He informed the figure. ?So, you are a Grey One. I had thought you an agent of the Dark side, but I see there is much Light in you as well.?

There was no response from the figure. It simply walked toward him. Obi-Wan placed a hand on his lightsaber and stood at the ready although he was otherwise still and confident in the calm of the Force. In the whole time it had been on planet, the being had yet to confront him itself. Here lay the largest question in Obi-Wan?s mind. If it was after him, as he suspected, then why didn?t it attack?

?Come forward then, what is your purpose here??

The figure continued toward him at a slow, but steady, pace. He sensed that it was not concern for its own physical well being that made its steps so leaden, but the possibility that Obi-Wan would reject its presence. He noted that it was tainted, too, with a sense of lost hope and lingering anger.

?Come, come now. I?m a busy man. Can?t be standing here all night waiting for you to get your courage up.? He taunted the figure a bit, anxious to solve this plaguing mystery.

The being was directly in front of him now and slowly pulled back its hood. Shoulder-length, black tresses framed a pale face and tattoos shown at the edges of

2. Zonoma

Zonoma Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2005
    Well, I'm hooked. I've always been a closet Asajj fan, anyway. You were able to put me inside the story and I love the way you manipulate words to make me feel what you want me to.

Great start!=D= Please feel free to PM me with updates.

3. Stella_Ripple

Stella_Ripple Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 29, 2005
    Yay! You finally posted!

And what a post- definately worth the wait! The conversation between ObiWan and Ventress was perfect- and now that I'm not completely overwhelmed with the strangeness of the pairing- I can appreciate it even more, especially Ventress's desperate need for forgiveness- very well done.

The inns and cantinas that thrived here were overrun with species from all over the galaxy, creating a cacophony of sound that encroached on even the most isolated corners of the large port. The combined stench of a thousand worlds oozed and crept its way through the throngs crushed into the small market areas as the combined body heat of thousands of beings mingled with the odors of the meager wares of the food stalls. Dirt encrusted every surface, stuck to a greasy film that seemed to get everywhere, no matter how often the vendors tried to clean it off.
    How do you do it master? The atmosphere was so well captured, I really feel you've managed to transplant part of me into your fic, I can hear, see and feel it all so clearly!

Very sinister goings on- I wonder what the pilot knew? Great Master, you've just fed fat my curiosity even more now! Oh well, its on your own head, since I'll be even more pestering from tomorrow (you're excused for today, since you did get this up):p

4. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Oh boy oh boy!! Yay!! [face_dancing] I'm so excited that you posted this! Can't wait for more!

Well done on Asajj! Poor thing...perhaps she can work out her past with Obi's help :)

5. JediMindTrick000

JediMindTrick000 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 14, 2004
    [face_love] You said Asajj. [face_love]

I don't have time to read this at this exact moment, but you're writing my favorite characters from the Clone Wars, so you can believe I will! And I'll definitely take PM updates!

Good luck with this story and MTFBWY.

Edit: And if you are oqidaun's padawan, I DEFINITELY can't wait to read this! [face_peace]

6. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I'm so happy to see a new story by my former Padawan! You know I'm a big Obi fan, so it's nice to see him here! [face_love]

Looking forward to more! :D

7. Jennifer_Lyn

Jun 8, 2005
    Z: Yes! My evil plot to manipulate the minds of my readers is working! *cackles evilly* Thanks for reading!

Stella: Ah, Padawan. You shall not pester me for you shall be writing your butt off! Glad you liked it, there will be more next Thursday!

Kynstar: So glad you liked it! Don't know if I'd totally call Asajj a poor thing now that I've gotten to know her better, but we shall see.

JediMindTrick000: I can't wait to see what you think of this. Yes, oqidaun's been a huge help as you shall soon find out.

VaderLVR64: Yes, it took a little longer than I'd hoped, but I'm back up and running! Our poor Obi. He's got such a rough time in life.

8. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Wonderful beginning.

It'll be interesting to see how Obi-Wan and Asajj work *gasp* together and who she targets to go after first.

Well done,

=D= =D= =D= =D=

9. lindemacil

lindemacil Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2005
    Yay, it's back! An excellent start; it sets up the situation nicely. Nice interaction between Obi and Asajj, very fluid and believable. Can't wait for more!

Oh, and I would love to get PM reminders. [face_batting] :D

10. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    Master, beautiful writing, you've drawn me well and truly in. It's all very mysterious. And fantastic attention to detail. Looking forward to reading more of this!

11. stormqueen874

stormqueen874 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2005
    *watches figures fly off in J_L's story* ... *begin impending doom music* Great start, J_L; that's one heck of a cliffie you've got going, and I am most certainly hooked! *settles down with a bowl of popcorn* I have the worst feeling that they're after Ventress, though I have no idea why, but I just can't wait to see where this goes! :D

Hope you update soon, and please PM me! *grins again*

Stormqueen

12. Jennifer_Lyn

Jun 8, 2005
    KELIA: Thank you muchly! Glad you like it!

lindemacil: I'm beginning to be able to wrap my head around Ventress, she's a toughie. Obi's got his hands full with her.

Kestrel_Kenobi: My padawan! So glad you liked it, m'dear!

SQ: Howdy! *passes cup of soda to go with the popcorn* Glad I've got some suspense built up already and piqued your interest!

Just a reminder that updates will be on Thursdays barring big influxes of inspiration or impatience! :D

13. oqidaun

oqidaun Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2005
    Great to see this on the boards and getting the response it deserves.
    You know I love it.

14. Lovely-in-Orange

Lovely-in-Orange Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2005
    I like how Obi-Wan recognizes that she is probably still trouble (for him and for Luke) but he trusts his instincts that helping her is still the right thing. I liked the description of the spaceport too. I really look forward to reading more. :)

15. Jennifer_Lyn

Jun 8, 2005
    oqidaun: *bows humbly in her striped socks before her evil master* Thanks! I just can't wait 'til the get a load of the rest of this thing! [face_devil]

Lovely-in-Orange: You found it! Yay! Thanks for reading! More next week!

16. JOINME

JOINME Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 25, 2005
    I didn't comment on this???

:eek: :eek:

No way, I could have sworn I did! :oops:

Anyway, this was an excellent beginning, Asajj and Obi, sheesh, this is gonna be good!

:D :D :D :D Can't wait for the next chap!

17. Jennifer_Lyn

Jun 8, 2005
    JOINME: Thanks for reading! Your wish is my command! Here's the next chapter!

Chapter 2

Obi-Wan and his new companion spent the night at the inn in Mos Espa and in the morning, after getting a few supplies, made the long journey back to his home beyond the Dune Sea. They spoke very little during the trip, each lost and uncomfortable in their own thoughts as they passed over large stretches of open desert punctuated occasionally by groups of large plateaus. When they arrived at the tight canyon that hid his home from view later that that evening, Obi-Wan showed Ventress into the small house carved directly into the rock. When he sensed that she had stopped moving forward, he turned to see what held her back. She was laughing softly under her breath.

?Is there a problem, Ventress?? he asked, crossing his arms over his chest.

?No, Kenobi, no problem. It?s not quite the Jedi Temple is it?? she smirked at him.

?No, it?s not.? He replied coldly. This would be a trying experience indeed if she insisted on frequently taunting him with all he had lost.

?It reminds me of where I?ve been living, too.? Her laughter faded and her tone turned deadly serious. ?The Empire does not just hunt down the Jedi now. They are hunting all Force users.?

?Yes.? He said, his voice thick with sarcasm. ?I had heard something like that. And here you are on my doorstep. It?s an amazing coincidence, don?t you agree??

He had made his point all too clear and Ventress scowled, holding her next barb. A swell of anger threatened to burst from within her heart at the rebuke, but she managed to rein it in as she strolled, with a façade of calm, into the solid structure. Obi-Wan followed close behind her, narrowing his eyes at her back and probing for some elusive answer to his questioning trust.

Without a further word to his guest, Obi-Wan began to pull out foodstuffs he had purchased that morning in Mos Espa. Ventress watched him, intrigued, as he chopped vegetables with a practiced ease. Adding a few tubers to the large pot on the heating coil he ground various spices into the mixture before covering the whole with a large quantity of precious water. While he worked Obi-Wan?s thoughts drifted to another visitor he had entertained here in the past. Lybra had been a fellow Jedi initiate and had helped him through much of his early grief after the events on Mustafar. Unlike his present company he was glad to have had her stay with him. He chuckled to himself. He was becoming quite the ladies? man; inviting women back to his little hovel like this. Lybra?s visit had stood him in good stead though, not just in emotional concerns, but in more practical matters as well. Thanks to her guidance and after much practice, he was now able to put together a nourishing meal.

?You cook, Kenobi?? Ventress asked in an attempt to reopen their dialogue, but the words came out sharper than she had intended and jarred him abruptly from his pleasant thoughts.

?Do you expect that I would make due with ration bars for the last three years?? his voice was cold and emotionless in response.

The soup almost complete, he went back into the box of supplies and retrieved a loaf of whole grain bread and then went to the cooler for his stash of bantha butter and cheese. He knew things were going to be difficult at best with this new arrangement, and he needed all the energy he could get. They ate their evening meal in stiff silence but for a few requests to pass seasonings and such back and forth.

When this simple, but important, task was finished, Obi-Wan took Ventress outside to work through their first meditation together. Though he was not surprised at the discovery, he quickly found that could not open up to her. Regardless of the guidance the Living Force was trying to provide, strong doubts about her purpose here meant that his shields remained firmly locked down. She was a bit more willing to open up than he, so they did make a little progress. He could sense her innocent intentions, her fear of the task she had given herself and a

18. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Still ever the overly cautious one! But then again it prob kept her alive this long.

Great work! Loved how she was like... wait it's still dark! [face_laugh]

That was great! And now they're somewhat on a first name basis. Scary now! ;)

19. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    Great work Master! :)
    I can't wait to read more. I love all the detail...

Oh, I wouldn't mind being woken up by Obi to do some...meditation...*sigh*
    [face_love]

Please keep me updated!

20. Stella_Ripple

Stella_Ripple Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 29, 2005
    Ooh Master! Wonderful work! That was just what I needed- thank you for brightening a cross lil padawan's day!

I'm loving Obi Wan and Ventresse's relationship is progressing! I like how they're both insecure enoguh to need to resort to snipes to hide that fact. Can't wait to see where this is going

21. stormqueen874

stormqueen874 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2005
    Oooh, lovely update, J_L! I just love where you're taking this, and Obi-Wan's comment about being a Lady's Man... [face_laugh] And poor Asajj, being forced to wake up before dawn. I have to for my current classes, and I hate every minute of it!

Hope you update soon, ma dear! :D

Stormqueen

22. Lovely-in-Orange

Lovely-in-Orange Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2005
    Great update. So thoughtful that he left the little desert rose for her. I like how playfully cheerful he is in the morning. It's a brave man that would wake a semi-dark Jedi that early... :D

23. Jennifer_Lyn

Jun 8, 2005
    Kynstar: Well, I wouldn't be trustful either if I were her! Poor things had a rough time of it. First names don't always mean they're comfortable with each other! Thanks for reading!

Kes: I wouldn't mind that either! Wait, yes I would. I hate mornings. I think my reaction would be closer to Ventress's. :D

Stella: Glad you liked it. You shall have to continue your patience exercises. You've got a week to wait!

(I have such good little padawans! [face_blush])

SQ: Thanks for reading! I just keep writing about Obi taking chicks back to his pad. I couldn't resist commenting on it.

Lovely-in-Orange: You know, you're right. I didn't even thing of the courage it took for him to wake her. Well, he sure paid for it, didn't he?

24. JediMindTrick000

JediMindTrick000 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 14, 2004
    Wow, I love this story! I've been waiting for one like this actually. I always thought there was something a litle "deeper" to their relationship anyway, as if they had some primal connection. You write a great Obi-Wan, and I love where this is going. Very nicely done!

25. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    I knew Ventress was hiding something!

But what is it? [face_thinking]

Very intreguing.

I liked how Obi-Wan added the small touches to make Asajj feel more welcome.

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.