main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga When The Hunter Becomes The Hunted (Obi, Asajj) Thanks to readers!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jennifer_Lyn, Sep 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lovely-in-Orange

Lovely-in-Orange Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2005
    !!!!!!!!!!

Bad Asajj! [face_shame_on_you] Poor Obi, not only is he in serious serious trouble, but she betrayed him completely this time out of despair and fear. I suspect he might have won had she not turned on him. Wonderfully tense and exciting chapter. Evil cliffie!

2. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    Your writing is absolutely exquisite, J_L. The descriptions are drool-worthy, and your action is terse and unpredictable. I adore it. You even made me want to cradle that poor defenseless cricket against my chest... and don't get me started on how much I hate the sound of chitin after all of my biology classes. Amazing work. I am in awe. Please pm me with updates. I absolutely must know how Obi-Wan gets out of this one.

3. Ani-maniac

Ani-maniac Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    Considering his options, Obi-Wan ran through old memories. He had faced a whip wielding adversary once before, but he was a Padawan at the time and he had not fared well against the unusual weapon. Ona Nobis had nearly killed him each time they faced off and it took Master Gallia's formidable skills to finally defeat the bounty hunter, slicing through the energy whip before the woman fell to her death.

I love the fact that you are having Obi-Wan thinking of events from the Jedi Apprentice series, they are wonderful books. :) And it also shows how humble Obi-Wan is, when truthfully he could probably say that he has accomplished more than Adi Gallia, yet he still thinks of her as a great Jedi Master.

Asajj heard the scream and was stunned to find that it was not Ben, but the Inquisitor that cried out. Taking heart from her mentor?s success, she attempted to sever the whips repeatedly sent singing her way.

At least they were able to hold their own for a time... [face_plain]

With victory no longer a possibility, Obi-Wan began to plan his escape. Unsure whether he would be able to stand, he prepared to roll out of reach, gathering the Force around him to increase the distance. He took a quick breath, but before he even cleared his mind there was an explosion of pain in the back of his head and then a quiet darkness as his consciousness slipped away with the mist.

Even if it didn't last. :D

I can't wait to see what happens next! Great work!

Ani-maniac

4. DarthMousche

DarthMousche Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 16, 2005
    Well, that's a cliffie and a half. I'm still not sure what to think about Asajj. Things are not always as they appear... Of course, my mind kept wandering back to that poor little cricket. :_|

:p

5. JediMindTrick000

JediMindTrick000 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 14, 2004
    JL, your writing is what I shoot for every time I start typing. Not to blow up your head, but if I bought this as a book, I would be very happy with my purchase. In short, friggin' awesome. You give vivid details while at the same time keeping it real and entertaining. I just finished reading every chapter you have, and I am totally impressed. Keep on writing, and I look forward to reading more of this and any Asajj you may write in the future.

6. BigE

BigE Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    Oh, my. Things aren't looking good for our hero. :(

7. Jennifer_Lyn

Jennifer_Lyn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 8, 2005
    Kes: ooo, nervousness! *laughs evilly* i'll try to write quickly!

KELIA: nope. they got their butts handed to them, poor things.

Lovely-in-Orange: :D personally, i love what Asajj did. she's such a [face_chicken], for all her bravado.

Luna_Nightshade: :eek: [face_blush] did our Evil Master send you? OMG, so humbled. thank you for your kind words. you are most assuredly added to the pm list!

Ani-maniac: you keep finding things in my writing that i don't even realize i'm doing! no fair finding insight into Obi's character that i keep missing!

DarthMousche: i felt bad about the cricket. really. i'm a vegetarian, and even killing a virtual cricket was tough. glad you liked the cliffie!

JMT: i'm just going to stand here and shuffle my feet about while my brain tries to process that praise. when i'm done, i'll simply bow humbly and say thank you.

BigE: no, they don't do they? thanks for reading!

8. Star_Drifter

Star_Drifter Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2005
    With victory no longer a possibility, Obi-Wan began to plan his escape. Unsure whether he would be able to stand, he prepared to roll out of reach, gathering the Force around him to increase the distance. He took a quick breath, but before he even cleared his mind there was an explosion of pain in the back of his head and then a quiet darkness as his consciousness slipped away with the mist.

Those inquisitors certainly are tough! This doesn't sound good at all! [face_worried]

Great update! =D=

Thanks for the PM! [face_batting]

Star

9. Stella_Ripple

Stella_Ripple Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 29, 2005
    owowowowow! my shins, my shins have mercy on my shins, my own yoda! :p Look I found my way here- all in good time! :D

Firstly a great big [:D] for being the wonderful writer that you are! I loved that starter from the POV of the cricket- genius!
    Fantastic action scenes- tense, totally ?any-way-goable? and the expected turned unexpected!! You managed to keep up the descriptions and the action kept on moving- what a wonderful blender! :D
    But oh what an ending?leave me hanging, why don?t you :p

Great stuff!=D==D==D==D==D=

10. Talon_Kenobi

Talon_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2003
    This is a great fic and you have a really good style.

It seems like Obi-wan could have probably taken them in the end if it was for Ventress. I mean as dark as these guys are they probably don't compare to the hatred and darkside power he had to deal with when fighting Vader

Keep up the good work

11. Jennifer_Lyn

Jun 8, 2005
    new chapter up next!!!

but first a word from our sponsor:

Enjoying this fic? Like Asajj Ventress? Think that she's been woefully underappreciated?

Then trot yourself on over to Into the Mind of a Killer- JMT's Asajj Ventress Index and Discussion Thread!

We now return you to your regularly scheduled author replies.
    Star_Drifter: no, it doesn't sound good.[face_devil] thanks for reading!
    Stella: so glad you liked the action. it's the part i'm always the most iffy about.
    Talon_Kenobi: yeah, i think he could have taken them, too. sadly we'll never know. :D thanks for reading and welcome aboard!

12. Jennifer_Lyn

Jun 8, 2005
    most sincere apologies for taking so long on these last couple of chapters. DWB and i battle daily and often times i lose.
    just know that i've not given up on this story and i'm grateful to you for sticking with me!

Chapter 10

Heat. It scorched the planet like a magnifying glass over an insect, crisping the surface with a crust of blistering sand. It was unwise for any but the most hardy native species to be exposed to the noontime suns, yet in a small, bare courtyard, one woman was on her knees, hands to her head as she felt the suns burning her pale skin.

Her head was throbbing and her breath was ragged. Rough hands grabbed her, dragging her to her feet. When Asajj tried to look up, the suns blinded her, preventing her from seeing who had hold of her shoulders. Disoriented, she did not fight the tight grip as she took to her feet.

"We are most pleased you have come to your senses, Asajj Ventress." An oil slick of a voice spoke her name and she shivered. "It would be a pity to see such a powerful Force user sacrifice her potential."

Asajj's head slowly cleared as the anger at her predicament blossomed anew within her. The Dark energy swirled around her and she grabbed onto it like alife raft in the midst of a vast sea. She fed it her pain and the power rushed through her, cleansing her mind of confusion.

"Yes, good. You are truly gifted in the ways of the Dark side, my dear." Kalmastrum told her. "It is for this that the Emperor is willing to forgive your littleindiscretions. You will aid us with those gifts and in exchange you shall live."

"It would seem I have no other choice." she hissed back, shrugging off the Inquisitor's grip.

"Yes, that is true." he replied. "Now that you have betrayed Master Kenobi here, you will no longer find harbor among the Light side users of the Force." Kalmastrum's face twisted into a sneer as he kicked out at the still form of Obi-Wan Kenobi, laying on the ground at his feet.

Asajj smiled at the action. "Do you know how many mornings I longed to do that?"

Venictum laughed, overhearing the comment. "Well, there will be ample opportunity for you to do that and more when you return with us to Prakith."

She looked at him questioningly and he answered her unspoken query.

"We have a stronghold there." the grin on his face was chilling as he spoke of the fortress. "Master Kenobi's capture and your alliance ensure that we will be given control of thefacility. I believe you will find it much to your satisfaction."

Asajj was silent for a moment, watching as Equatorum moved toward Obi-Wan. He leaned down and snapped a metallic device around the Jedi's neck. Reaching out, she could no longer sense him in the Force and she turned toward Kalmastrum.

"And what do you do at this stronghold?"

"There are still some powerful Force users walking free among the people. As they are rightfully captured they are brought to the Citadel to be," he shrugged his shoulders "neutralized."

Asajj nodded her head and said nothing further, letting thoughts run unhindered through her mind. She followed as the Inquisitors lifted Kenobi, his head hanging limply, and carried him to a gravsled just outside the courtyard.

Sitting jammed next to his unconscious body, a flash of memory pierced her brain. Months ago when she arrived on Tatooine, she told Kenobi she sought to destroy Dark side enemies. Now she was the very thing she had wished to overcome. And here she was playing right back into Palpatine's plans. She was heading back into that realm of deceit and foul play and, once again, she was doing it by choice. This would be the last time she would be allowed to make such a decision. The Emperor's fingers were digging into every facet of his subjects lives, his web of power growing wider with each passing day. There would soon be no where to run if she changed her mind.

At least with Kenobi she had the free will to make her choices without the threat of torture and death. There was no facade of generosity to him either; she could take him and his gifts at

13. Stella_Ripple

Stella_Ripple Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 29, 2005
    The vision faded and Asajj opened her eyes. What was she doing here? Was she prepared to be led around by the nose once more? Surely not. She was worth much more to the galaxy than that. No, this was not a viable option. There had to be a way out of this, once and for all, even if she had to cheat death yet again to do it.

Asajj closed her eyes and, pushing her fears aside, reached into the Force once more. This time it yielded easily to her humble request. She opened up the most tightly shielded corner of her mind and there she crafted a plan for her escape.

YES! There's the Asaji I've come to know and love! For a minute there, I was worried. Her Master was a wise man, and i got the feeling a very gentle one. Lovely characterisation of Ventress again!=D= Her thought process was so natural- i love how well your writing flowed there!
    and [:D] for fighting back DWB...so successfully too! [face_dancing]

14. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    there she crafted a plan for her escape.

Whew! For a minute there she had me worried...oh..uh, is she planning on helping Obi-Wan at all? [face_praying] [face_praying]

I loved her inner conflict - that was perfectly written

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

15. Ani-maniac

Ani-maniac Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    "We are most pleased you have come to your senses, Asajj Ventress." An oil slick of a voice spoke her name and she shivered. "It would be a pity to see such a powerful Force user sacrifice her potential."

I don't think that keeping her turned will be as easy as they think... [face_thinking]

At least with Kenobi she had the free will to make her choices without the threat of torture and death. There was no facade of generosity to him either; she could take him and his gifts at face value. He had his secrets, that was sure enough. She suspected he had much to do with Skywalker being in that suit though he said nothing of it, but he had never deceived her when she asked a pointed question of him. She realized that path was closed to her now; she had allowed her fear to control her actions.

At least she is seeing things clearer now, even if she has turned. She doesn't see freedom in the dark side, she sees that she is trapped.

The gravsled came to a halt, bringing Ventress out of her ruminations to find she was shivering, despite the heat.

And she doesn't seem to be enjoying it much, either. :D

"But you could save him, if you wished." The rumbling, leonine tone was not that of her usual inner voice and she quickly looked around the room for an intruder.

It is wonderful to see Qui-Gon in this. :) I hope she will have a chance to speak with him, or at least to speak to Obi-Wan about him. :D

Wonderful work, as always! :)

Ani-maniac

16. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    First, the obligatory whine:

I didn't get a pm... *sniff*

Either way, no matter. I found it anyways.

You had me terrified there for a second! The betrayal was fierce, but I am so glad that Asajj is considering her choices now with more thought and with a much greater sympathy towards Obi-Wan. The similarities between Asajj and Anakin are striking and I was getting pathetically whiny for Obi-Wan. Speaking of which... Obi-Wan? Please tell me he isn't going to be... neutralized. Please? He's my favorite... *sniff* Fantastic prose, J_L, and I enjoyed it immensely. =D=

17. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    Obi!! :_|

...I loved Asajj's thoughts - that was wonderfully crafted...and bring Qui in and the lightsabers and everything...completely beautiful piece of writing.

Loved where she ended up...she crafted a plan for her escape.

Though I did notice Obi wasn't mentioned.... [face_worried]

A joy to read as always...strike one against DWB! :D

18. Jennifer_Lyn

Jun 8, 2005
    Stella_Ripple: thanks, m'dear!

KELIA: Obi? rescue? hmm. good question. [face_devil]

Ani-maniac: Qui-Gon. yeah, see, he kinda came out of nowhere and decided he wanted to be in this...

Luna_Nightshade: [face_blush] i was working without me list. glad you're enjoying it! Obi's fate? you'll just have to wait and see.

Kestrel_Kenobi: thanks! yeah, poor Obi. he got kicked and Force-collared and is still out cold. [face_devil]

19. SuperSaiyaMan12

SuperSaiyaMan12 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    Finally caught up to leave a reply. It was a good chapter, and Asajj seems to be developing feelings for Ben...and she has a wise master.

Please, update soon.

20. JediMindTrick000

JediMindTrick000 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 14, 2004
    I'd hafta agree with the other posters here..it would seem you are winning the war against DWB. This story continues to be a nice introspection (thats a word, right?) of Asajj, and I think it's getting deeper as it goes on. Although it would seem that this story might end up in a completely different place than I had orginally suspected it would. Either way, nice job!

21. BigE

BigE Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    There was a small glow lamp on the table next to the bunk, but no desert bloom graced the surface.

Just a little thing, but I really loved this tidbit - emphasizing how cold and dead the room was.
    I suppose I thought it was interesting that Ventress would note that. A sign that she hadn?t regressed fully to the Dark Side, as Kalmastrum would probably like to think.

22. Lovely-in-Orange

Lovely-in-Orange Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2005
    Great chapter! The opening image of her burning in the sun is very vivid and made me kind of feel for her. Well at least until she was smiling at Obi-Wan being kicked. :mad: I love your descriptions of the voices... Asajj's, the inquisitor's, and Qui-Gon's. Great to see Qui-Gon here too. I liked that there was a connection between her master and Qui-Gon. It does make sense that she would have been taught to be more living force oriented. And very fitting that it's not guilt or sympathy that gets to her as much as the thought of having to be Palpatine's flunky. :D

23. oqidaun

oqidaun Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2005
    You already know how much I enjoy this story.
    You've really invigorated and added depth to both Obi-Wan and Ventress's characters. I like the complexity that exists in your characterization.

And the imagery...
    Beautiful stuff.

=D=

Isn't it fun not to write "teh mush"? [face_devil]

24. Star_Drifter

Star_Drifter Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2005
    Darth RL... [face_frustrated]

The Order's strong-willed adherents were not easy to break and hope was ever their ally. Knowing the Inquisitors as she did, Asajj had no doubt that whatever was going on there, this Dark brotherhood prolonged the process simply out of hatred and for their own pleasure.

Yeah, those Inquisitors really know how to have a good time! ;)

Very interesting update! :D

Thanks for the PM! [face_batting]

Star

25. Jennifer_Lyn

Jun 8, 2005
    SuperSaiyaMan12: thanks for taking the time to catch up and i'm so glad you're enjoying the story! i'll be updating just as soon as i can. just let me know if you want to be added to my pm list!

JMT: my thanks for your vote of confidence! the most interesting thing about writing this has been the development of the story. it's going somewhere i did not expect as well!

BigE: great observation! yes, i wanted to echo what she was feeling when Obi first took her in on Tatooine.

Lovely-in-Orange: so glad you got so much out of this chapter. yeah, she doesn't really strike me as the Unified Force type. there's just too much passion in her to be that widely focused.

oqidaun: *grovels humbly before meeting her Evil Master's eye* you just leave my mush alone, lady. i would not be an Evil Padawan if i didn't do things to needle my Evil Master.

Star_Drifter: [face_laugh] knowing the Inkies as i do, i'm now picturing a torture chamber strewn with balloons and streamers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.