main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series When the Sith hits the fan

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Gry Sarth, Sep 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    Hi folks! Sorry for the long absence.

As you might have noticed, I pretty much disappeared from the boards after the end of Season 4, so I think I owe you all a bit of an explanation. Well, some of you may remember my reaction to the big Season 3 finale reveal. I did not for a second believe that "Maul-in-the-ball" actually meant that they would bring him back from the dead. After the great second half of Season 3 I held the writers in too high a regard to give that notion any credit. But as time went by, rumours started surfacing that that might indeed be the case. At that time I stated pretty categorically that if Maul really returned I'd have to seriously consider resigning from my post as forum manager. And then it was confirmed that Maul would indeed return! I was shaken, but decided to give the show the benefit of the doubt. They had already proved me wrong before with Savage, which despite being a pretty revolting concept, turned out to be pretty cool in its execution, and I came to accept and enjoy his introduction. So I awaited what was to come with wary anticipation, and eventually Maul made his return.

And something broke.

No amount of badassery or cool choreography could hide the huge cop-out of this move. Here was Obi-Wan fighting Maul again, here was Savage made completely redundant, here's every problem being solved with a sprinkle of Nightsister magic. It was too much. I might have been able to bury the whole thing along with other previous failings like poisoned tea and droid adventures, but the confirmation that Maul would remain a recurring villain pretty much sealed the deal. His return even tarnished my experience when watching Epispde I in 3D at the movies, it was just too much.

And so I retreated from the boards, I just had no passion to discuss this show anymore. I decided to give it some time, to see if it was just some passing frustration. I thought I'd wait until the perm boards were back before making up my mind.

Well, we're back, and I'm afraid I had to resign my position. I just cannot justify devoting such time and energy to something I no longer respect.

I'll probably keep on checking out the show (I am a Star Wars fan after all, and I'm sure there WILL be some cool stuff I'll enjoy from time to time) but not with any great anticipation and devotion. I'll be around the forum as well, if I feel I have something to say. And also because one thing that remains unchanged is how much I love all you folks around here!

Zer0, jackg1, GGrievous and 9 others like this.
  2. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Welcome back. [face_coffee]

3. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    And that's why you rock. Gry Sarth

Glad to know you'll be sticking around.

4. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Gry!!!! Mesa so happy seeing yousa again! :D

I can totally see where you're coming from. I was appalled by Maul's return for exactly the same reasons as you stated.

And now he's back to foul up the follow up to the Mandalore storyline. This is exactly what I meant when I said that Maul's return will ruin the series.

Having him 'survive' is one thing, having him as a recurring villain, is another...

5. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    The only way to redeem this is to create some incredible storylines with Maul, otherwise it's even more idiotic.

Gry - do you want your name in red? You are entitled.

6. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    Gry's custom title should be:

Ex-Twin Double Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod. [​IMG]

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy likes this.
  7. Coric

Coric Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 19, 2011
    Grryyyyy nooooooo!

But welcome back! [face_batting]

8. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I am kinda new to this forum but I am so sorry you had to go through all of that in the end of S4.

PS: I would love to see TCW Sith actually hit a giant fan - that would be so much better than Maul coming back (It is a dumb and pointless "story"line that is going nowhere).
    Imagine it - Maul and Dooku chunks everywhere due to sharp blades of a fan! LOL

9. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    Yes, this is how Maul should die this time around. Obi-Wan should kick him into a shaft with some kind of huge fan that chops him into a million pieces. [face_laugh]

10. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    I guess a red font would be nice, thanks. As for a title, I leave it up to you.

Thanks you very much for the warm welcome everyone, I really missed all of you.

11. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
  12. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    Danke schön.

13. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    If Barriss_Coffee is our Retired Sith Lord, then I vote that your's should be Retired Jedi Master to preserve the balance, or something.:p

14. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    No no no no no, Gry was the Twin Double Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod.[​IMG]

That was the most awesome custom title ever, as it made fun of General Krell. :p

15. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    It was a pretty cool title.

16. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    Ja wohl, es war ganz hübsch.

17. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    If they do this, they may actually have Obi-Wan say "looks like the Sith just hit the fan". [face_laugh]

I totally agree with all of Gry Sarth 's reaction to the return of Maul and his recurring status on the show. I was already losing some faith in the show when that happened and that just made it worse. But my love of SW in general has kept me coming here (the JC boards in general, including but not limited to LACWAC).

Humble_Jedi likes this.
  18. Darth_Calgmoth

Darth_Calgmoth Jedi Master star 2

Jul 7, 2006
    Bist du 'n Deutscher, Gry?

Anyway, I'm not sure if that's going to help you with this Maul thing, but perhaps you can enjoy the irony in the whole thing. GL effectively created this Darth Maul non-character just to kill him off. He had no idea what to do with him. He just stood there in the background, he didn't even take command of the Naboo force after he had arrived there. Sidious was still talking to Gunray!

Reviving him makes indeed no sense from a story-telling point of view. But Darth Maul has had more lines of dialogue in 'Brothers' than in TPM, and he was a much more layered character in 'Revenge' than during all his other appearances. GL's revival of Maul really shows how the man discredits his own movies and stories by rewriting past events. He may not say 'I cannot write a good (love) story', but his deeds reveal that he sees Mauls death in TPM as a mistake now.

As to the next season:

I have to admit that I like the whole introduction of two Sith pairs from the Bane lineage into TCW. This puts the whole Rule of Two thing, and Tyranus and Sidious's plans more into the spotlight, and it might actually lead to something. Although I have to agree that the way Darth Maul died made it completely impossible for him to survive. At least not in a way that any sane person would have no problems with it. They should have created a new Sith instead of reviving the dead Zabrak.

19. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    As I said, Maul's return didn't turn me off from the series completely, it just knocked my interest down enough that I could no longer justify managing a forum dedicated to it. It was also not the sole thing that pushed me this far, it was just the straw (ok, tree) that broke the camel's back. The first half of season 4 had already been VERY problematic. It's also ironic that one of the things that I had always hoped for the show: more continuity and some sort of central ongoing storyline, seems to be finally coming to fruition. But it had to be with Darth Maul capping a season and starting the next??!!

jackg1, GGrievous and Humble_Jedi like this.
  20. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    Nein, aber ich habe in eine Deutsche Schule studierte.

21. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Nice to see you're still around Gry[face_party] . "When the Sith hits the fan" could be the title of the fifth season:p ... whatever is the real title of it anyway?- Or is it the first time there is no title?

22. Darth_Calgmoth

Jul 7, 2006
    Well, I don't hope that Maul and Savage are going to die this soon. Bringing him back just to kill him off again after a few appearances would be even more stupid than bringing him back in the first place.

He has to do something really important, perhaps even changing the course of the war quite significantly. It would be interesting to see him becoming a real threat to either Tyranus or Sidious, or even to both.

Mzukiller likes this.
  23. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    ^I fear that Savage will not last long and that makes him to be a mere placeholder for Maul[face_plain] .....

24. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    So you aren't new here? :p

25. Darth_Calgmoth

Jul 7, 2006
    Well, what I've seen of 'Revival' indicates that Maul considers himself a Sith Master now. He states that Savage is his apprentice. That means that Maul and Savage have already made a severe impression on the whole Rule of Two thing. I hope they continue to explore instead of killing Savage off. The fact that Maul and Savage are going to fight Sidious does not mean that either or both of them are going to die. Or is their information out there which confirms that Savage is going to die for sure?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.