main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC when was a time you were misled

Discussion in 'Community' started by hudzu, Oct 10, 2016.

1. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    i was relaxing against a wall a few minutes ago, cigarette in hand, enjoying the cool breeze. a fellow walked up to me, lighter in hand and asked "can i smoke with you?" i surmised that he was asking both for a cigarette and companionship, so i offered out my pack of smokes and he took one. rather than putting it to his lips and lighting it, he shuffled off on down the way and disappeared around the corner. i was shocked. annoyed even. he asked if he could smoke with me, accepted my hospitality, then flew off without even a thank you. i was betrayed. for the briefest moment in time, i had found myself looking forward to making awkward small talk with a stranger, using the shortening ember of his tobacco as a timer, a countdown to when he would **** off and i would be able to return to my heady enjoyment of the nighttime environ. a cigarette wasn't the only thing he took from me this night. he also took my hopes for a moment of cordial hostility that defines modern social interaction.

as an end note, as i sat in my car typing away at this post, i heard the shuffling of someone dragging his feet across the ground. and a crackled, throaty laughter. as i looked up, i saw him. the man who accepted my hospitality while rejecting my companionship. smoking my cigarette. jovial in his betrayal.

friends, regale me with similar tales of times you were also misled.

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    DarthSapient

Juliet316 likes this.
  3. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
    1999 and the Phantom Menace was soon to be released.

Nuff said.

Iron_lord likes this.
  4. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    I once had a lady beg for money to get food for her kids at the door of a church on Ash Wednesday. I offered to take them to a restaurant, but the lady had some reason why that wouldn't work. (I'm sure you can see where this is going.) I was a kind of Junior Cadet social worker in those days, so I asked for her number so I get get her hooked up with local social services. She gave me her number, and I gave her the only cash I had on me--a 20.

I called her an hour later and she answered the phone (amazingly it was her real number) completely and obviously high on something. There was a man's voice in the background. No kids. I gave her what resources I could find, and vowed that from then on, I'd be giving food only.

Sarge and hudzu like this.
  5. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
  6. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Any time the name to the left of a post was "Jabba-wocky:

hudzu and DarthTunick like this.
  7. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    The last time? After years of having what I thought was a close friendship, finding out someone I trusted to be nothing more than sad, pathological liar.

And no, this was even after Juli. You'd think I would have learned my lesson there.

8. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

I see you, too, were burned by Jabba-wocky... :(

9. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    A 'friend' of mine wanted to get his son an iphone 6 for his birthday. He's on a low income and asked if I would buy it and he'd pay me back in installments. I asked him 3 times if he was sure he'd be able to make the repayments before buying the phone. He paid the first installment in June and hasn't paid a penny since or contacted me to explain why. I note from facebook that he's finding the money to pay for steroids and go on various day trips.

What a cool guy. Doesn't pay a debt to a friend and gives his son - in effect - stolen property as a birthday present.

10. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Hi. I can't post in your other thread because I've never used two Pringles to pretend I was a duck and the wording of your topic was too narrow.

Sarge and hudzu like this.
  11. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
  12. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I have friends in Israel who were nearly missiled by Palestinian rockets. I've only been hit by balls and water balloons, though someone once shot a bb gun at me, and I was struck once by a rock flung up from the wheel of a truck.

Diggy and Sarge like this.
  13. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998

I was nearly missiled by lots of SCUDs during Desert Storm, plus a few MANPADs in the air, and some rockets, and lots of mortars. That was at Balad AB in Iraq, which the army called Camp Anaconda (very misleading, there were no anacondas there), so we called the base Mortaritaville, which was not so misleading.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  14. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    not liking the fact you had SCUDS raining down on you, Sarge - I'm merely humbled once again by your service to the country.

Sarge likes this.
  15. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I once opened a thread, thinking that the topic was interesting. I was delighted to see the OP was three paragraphs - not too long that your eyes glaze over, but not too short on detail. I began reading, my expectations high, the pleasure centre of my brain ready to be stimulated. Unfortunately it was a **** story about this one time someone took a cig off hudzu.

16. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I was never your sled.

Juliet316 and Sarge like this.
  17. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    The Force Awakens.

18. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    its almost like you misplace trust in authority figures...

19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Ha. Except this was being misled about him being a pervert.