main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

When was 'Skywalker' first said?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by JMaster Luke, May 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JMaster Luke

JMaster Luke Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    I'm wondering something now after watching Episode 3. It seems weird that Luke is not Luke Lars but yet he's Luke Skywalker. If your trying to hide him from Anakin Skywalker why have him with the last name?

Then i was thinking........ When do we first hear Lukes last name? Now my theory could be really wrong here since i haven't watch ANH in awhile. But follow me here and if i make a mistake then forget this theory.

What if Luke Skywalker is not called Luke Skywalker? What if he is Luke Lar? Meaning they give luke Lar as his last name. Now if i'm not mistaken (which i got a feeling i am) Dont we hear luke SKYWALKER after Luke sees his aunt and uncle dead?

IF this is the case. Maybe luke starts going by the name of Skywalker after they die. After all he does find out that his father was a jedi by Ben, then he says "I wanna learn the ways of the force and become a jedi like my father"

When he says this, what if thats when he descides not to go by the name of Luke Lar, but to take his real last name.....Skywalker.

That would make sense that Owen would call luke, luke Lar.

So again i can't remember the first time we find out Lukes last name is skywalker, but if its after his auncle die, is it possible THATS when he first starts going by the name of Skywalker?

2. Maranelo_Jori

Maranelo_Jori Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 22, 2004
    I thought about same thing.

3. Avon-Guido

Avon-Guido Jedi Youngling star 1

May 28, 2005
    this is a puzzle that could probably have no real conclusion, nobody will ever know but good theory.

4. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    IIRC, we first hear the name on the Death Star when he says, "I'm Luke Skywalker. I'm here to rescue you."

5. Tion_Meddon

Tion_Meddon Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2004

He COULD have, just then, decide to change is name form Lars to Skywalker, because he's going to follow in his father's footsteps now.

6. Boba-Frapp

Boba-Frapp Jedi Youngling

May 28, 2005
    To make it fit in with how simple the rest of the plot is of ANH Lucas probally figured it easier to just call him Skywalker aswell.

7. jabamascot

jabamascot Jedi Youngling

May 27, 2005
    Don't you think the part where Obi-wan tells Luke that he is really Luke Skywalker and not Luke Lars would have been a significant moment in ANH. I mean wouldn't Luke have wondered why he was lied to about his true identity and not been so surprised when Vader tells him the truth in ESB. I think this theory would have led Luke to believe he was being hidden from something wether he knew he was going by a false last name or not, and taken away from the most significant moment in the IV-VI trilogy.

8. Ogmios22188

Ogmios22188 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 12, 2004
    I don't think Luke was called Luke Lars. He knew that Owen and Beru were his aunt and uncle, and he had his father's last name. He knew who his father was, he just didn't know anything about him.

9. JMaster Luke

May 7, 2000
    Luke knows that his fathers name is Anakin Skywalker. But his uncle didn't tell him that he was a Jedi. He told him he was a pilot of some sort during the clone wars (right?)

Anyways point being, Luke knew Owen was his uncle and not his father. If they called him Luke Lar it wouldn't of been a lie. Luke knew Lar wasn't his real last name, but since he lives with them and was raised by them it would make sense that he would go by their last name.

But after they die Luke says "i wanna learn the ways of the force and become a Jedi like my father" it could be possible at that point Luke no longer see's himself as a Lar and wants to go by the name of Skywaler

"I'm Luke Skywalker....i'm here to rescue you"

I think that makes sense. Seeing as how i'd be stupid to try to hide Vaders son, but yet still keep his last name.

10. Nixua

Nixua Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2005
    i thought that it was only Owen Lars, sometihng about
    the way star wars names works make me think that
    Lars is a suffix on the name lol and not a surname
    because you never hear his aunt Peru use that surname either

also i think owen has told him anakin was a freighter
    piolt, i'll have to check
    it was a meaningless job though

11. Ogmios22188

Oct 12, 2004
    I think that Luke was called Skywalker his whole life. If not, there would've been a scene with him announcing that he would be thenceforce known as Luke Skywalker in honor of his father, and not Luke Lars. Also, Owen told Luke that his father was a navigator on a spice freighter, not that he was a Jedi during the Clone Wars. Also, Luke was hidden on Tatooine far from Mos Espa where his father grew up and with the belief that Vader would never come looking for a child he thought died with its mother and certainly not on Tatooine. Besides, it was the Lars' decision to have Luke retain his last name. Obi-Wan never told them, or so it seems. He just brought the baby.

12. FallenKnight88

FallenKnight88 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2005
    "If your trying to hide him from Anakin Skywalker why have him with the last name?"

Obi-wan and Yoda aren't really "hiding" Luke becasue as far as Darth Vader is concerned, his child died along with Padme. Their would be no reason to have Luke change his last name.

13. tessasolo

tessasolo Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 5, 2005
    I have been pondering this for quite some time and i made a thread about it like 3 minutes ago then i realised this was here so i had to make up another random topic. i think is name should have been luke lars even though its not quite as cool.

14. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    It's not like Luke would walk around with a name tag saying LUKE SKYWALKER on it. How could Vader possibly know his name?

15. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Fans are just reaching for things to post now days.

Have we really come this far? Have we posted all that can be posted?

16. JMaster Luke

May 7, 2000
    FirstStarWars if you dont like the topics then leave. Star Wars has been out since '77. This is a good question. I'd like to see you come up with a unique thought.

For me it would make sense that Luke would go by the name of Lar.

Besides we dont have to see an offical scene where luke says

"My name will no longer be Luke Lar, from now on i'm using my real last name. So call me Luke Skywalker"

Did we see anything like that for obi wan kenobi in episode 3?

"from now on i wont be called Obi wan kenobi. Instead i will go by the name Ben Kenobi"

17. Darth_Iquitous

Darth_Iquitous Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    Why would Luke use the last name "Lar" when his step-uncle/aunt's last names were "Lars" (plural "Larses")?

18. Ogmios22188

Oct 12, 2004
    Ah; semantics.

19. JMaster Luke

May 7, 2000
    ok yes Lars. I wrote lars i think in my first post.

So yeah wouldn't Luke have been called Luke Lars?

20. Ogmios22188

Oct 12, 2004
    No, because he knew that Owen and Beru were his uncle and aunt. They weren't his adopted parents, and didn't raise him as such. Luke probably knew that Owen was his father's step-brother and not of real relation, so why would he have the same last name as him? It makes sense that Luke would keep his last name.

21. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    Or rather, that his uncle and aunt would keep it for him. A babe-in-arms doesn't know his name. Luke was told about his heritage, although not nearly all of it.

22. classified

classified Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2005
    "Hi Im Luke SKYWALKER, im here to rescue you"

23. Jango10

Jango10 Jedi Master star 5

Sep 22, 2002
    ^What he said.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.