main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

When was the Star Wars video first released?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Binary_Sunset, Apr 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    Does anyone know the exact date that the original film was first released on video?

:)

2. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    I think 1984, a year after ROTJ came out. I could be wrong though.

3. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    It was '84 or '85. Can't remember any more specifically than that.

4. captveg

captveg Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 19, 2001
  5. Leias_love_slave

Leias_love_slave Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2003
    Cool link! Thanks, captveg. :D

6. Binary_Sunset

Oct 28, 2000
    Thanks to all, especially to captveg!

So it's May 1982.

7. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Hey, anyone remember when it made it's
    first run on HBO?

8. Plo_Koen

Plo_Koen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    Binary, of all people you should know that the original Star Wars was never released on video. ;)

9. Plo_Koen

May 23, 2001
    Hey, anyone remember when it made it's first run on HBO?

I don't know about HBO, but I believe that the TV debut of ANH was in 1983, just before the ROTJ release.

10. Plo_Koen

May 23, 2001
    Okay, let me put my money where my mouth is:

First of all, there's no such thing as THE original 1977 Star Wars, there were at least two versions: a 70 mm print with a 6-track Dolby sound mix, and a 35 mm print with a monaural sound mix (most notable difference: C3PO's tractor beam line) There is ONE visual difference: As the stormtroopers are distracted by the duel between Vader and Kenobi, Threepio turns and says, "Come on, Artoo. We're going." Cut to Han who says, "Now's our chance, go!" In the version with the mono mix, these two shots are reversed.

There are also persistent rumors of additional footage in the initial 9 prints (!) during preview showings, but I guess this will never be settled. ;)

The differences in the 1981 re-release (the video version) are numerous:

- "episode IV A NEW HOPE" was added to the opening crawl.
    - The opening crawl itself was re-arranged. ("DEATH STAR" on one line)
    - Alarms and klaxons are different.
    - Added panel sound effects aboard the Falcon, including a descending whine as they come out of hyperspace.
    - The communications to Tarkin via comlink are completely different.
    - When Threepio and Artoo are hiding from the Imperials on Tatooine, the stormtrooper's dubbed voice is different, and so is the line: "All right, check that side of the street. It's secure. Move on to the next one." in the video it's: "All right, check this side of the street. The door's locked. Move on to the next one."
    - A different actress dubs for Aunt Beru. Neither version features the real voice of actress Shelagh Fraser, who has a thick British accent.
    - Some Threepio dialogue uses different takes. The additional lines ("The tractor beam is coupled to the main reactor in seven locations. A power loss at one of the terminals will allow the ship to leave....") are missing from the video version. (it re-appeared in the video in 1984 or 1986 (contradicting sources), it was missing again in the THX laserdisc and video, and re-appeared again in the SE :confused:)
    - The video is missing the now-famous "Close the blast doors!" line.
    - Intership voices during the final battle are not synthesized.
    - During the final battle, "countdown" voices on the Death Star and at the Massassi base on Yavin IV are completely different.
    - Luke's line in the video, "Blast it, Biggs. Where are you?" is different in the theatrical cut: "Blast it, Wedge. Where are you?"

source

11. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Very comprehensive, Plo_Koen.
    "Good job!"

12. Binary_Sunset

Oct 28, 2000
    Plo Koen, awesome stuff! I'd give at least $100.00 for a quality widescreen DVD of the original theatrical release of Star Wars--the one with the stereo sound, of course.

I want everything exactly as it was in May 1977--down to the last klaxon.

13. Plo_Koen

May 23, 2001
    >>>Yes, Virginia, there is a bootleg:

Floating around the black market limbo of sci-fi conventions and fanboy heaven is a forgotten bootleg of "Star Wars," a film transfer of the original 1977 theatrical release. It's interesting mainly as a curiosity, because the transfer is awful, the image is cropped poorly, and I'm sure that we all have much better, legal copies lying around. Nevertheless, as an account of the minor changes made to "Star Wars" over the years, it's priceless.<<<

I'd buy that for a dollar!

I saw Star Wars in 1980, but with what I know now, it might just as well been the same version you saw. I'd pay a 100 Euros just to relive that experience once! minus the full bladder... (and pay extra attention during the grappling hook scene. ;))

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.