main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

When we were newbie writers...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Neon Star, Jan 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PeterTutham27

PeterTutham27 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 23, 2001
    What do you mean- WHEN we were newbie writers?! :p

Hm... I'll let you know when I'm not-

but first, I have to write a humor, round robin, adventure, angst, mush, and AU before I even consider it...

Hmm... just mush and the AU (which is in the planning) left!

2. empress of justice

empress of justice Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2000
    My first fic didn't even have a good title:

"How did everybody find out that luke and leia were Vader's kids"

(screams) I stopped writing on it because:

1. No time! (as my fellow college students can testify!)

2. Better plot bunnies.

3. I incorporated too many ideas that I'm doing for a novel of mine.

EOJ

3. Princess1

Princess1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    Well, I'm not a newbie writer, but I am a newbie on these boards! As for my first Fan Fic, it was really short, which is a good thing because it was horrorable! It was called "I always will." and it was a NJO Han and Leia mush fic. It was my first every attempt at mush and ouch, I don't even want to think about it! But I've written alot since then, and improved!

My first fic on these boards, I think its pretty good its called "Fates Unknown" its a Ep3 story, with some Obi Wan romance and the Jedi Hunters. And I'm still not done! Of course I only started it some time in December. But so far I don't have all that many readers, 4 to be exact Arna Kyle, Obi Jedi, Sara Kenobi and Princess Sari. And I'm very greatful to all of them.

4. Owe-me-one Perogi

Owe-me-one Perogi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2000
    HAHAHa!!

Oh god, wanna know what's funny?

I have been here for almost 2 years and I haven't finished one STORY! I think I might cry...

Although this one story I have been working on forever:

"You're the Daughter of Who?"

Is almost done, although It won't really be, since it will kind of need a sequel...

NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    ack.. when I was a newbie...
    Man, that was almost 3 years ago..

Well, the first thing I ever did was I joined a round robin started by Ty-Gon Jinn. It had no title just, I'm starting a JA Run-on... That was it. I soon became exposed to the whole fan fic universe, and also met one of the best friends I have on the board (love ya Ty!)

My first attempt at a story was *cringes* A Jedi Christmas Carol. Although Stranded in Space denys it, I thought it was horrible. But, it did give me the chance to meet the best reader anyone can have. (Love ya too Stranded!)

JCC was the first, but incredibly horrible. Then I started another crazy project, a story about Winter and Leia. Little did I know it would be my longest and one of my most successful fics, with the help of an incredible author, Maeve Nadia.

Conpared to some people, I still am a Newbie. But then Stranded reminds me that I have 9 stories under my belt and 2 in the process of being written.

MY TIP FOR NEWBIES: Join a round robin first. You'll be expossed to the board and the writers. Also, it's a great way to have fun and make friends!

6. RebelOutlaw_Ace

RebelOutlaw_Ace Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 9, 2001
    My first Fic, Knightfall, is also the only one out of five fanfics that I started that I actually finished. It wasn't until I posted the first part of the story that I realized that one of the books in the New Jedi Order series was ALSO to be called Knightfall (but got cancelled) and I was too stubborn to change the title.

Looking back on it, I cringe (as many people here oftentimes do when looking at their first writings), but there is also a small feeling of nostalgia, for I have come a long way since I first started that fic. From writing it, I have to say that I have undoubtedly improved my style, and am still making constant changes.

I also have to give a quick thanks to Padawan_Di-Lee and LordShmer for actually reading Knightfall up until the end :D

-Reb

7. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

JediKnight-Obi-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 13, 2000
    When I was a newbie....PERISH the thought.
    I was horrid.

Strangely enough, my first two stories had the biggest following's however. I credit that to the fact it was strict JA.

I just cringe when I think of my first two stories. UHHhhggg. I just get embarrassed thinking about them.

I started a round robine in between my first and second story and my two orignal characters were the only good thing to come out of that.

8. Kenobi Maul

Kenobi Maul Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 1999
    *sigh*

Thinking back... Way back...

To when I was starting out... *Thinks back to the heyday of JA and the middle of USJS (on UBB, of course), when my fanfic was even worse than now...*

To when I was struggling to get people to read my fanfic... *Thinks back 30 seconds* ;)

It's funny, though. I stopped having time to read fanfics other than USJS about when Neon Star started writing fanfic ( :( ), so the authors I'm familiar with are mostly gone...

"Where have you gone, JOWK and Lwyn'nya Kenobi, a reader turns his lonely eyes to you?"

9. HaiGan

HaiGan Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 7, 2000
    I still feel like a newbie, although I discover with shock that my first board 'birthday' was last november. I suspect I will continue to feel like a newbie until I write the perfect story, at which point I will have to retire because anything after that would be an anticlimax.

My first couple of stand-alone stories were very short and one had been posted elsewhere first. They were actually rather good although I say so myself: All Our Scattered Leaves and The Completely Non-Canon Closet Courtship of Princess Leia. I'd fortunately got my really dire early ideas out of the way in private before I joined the boards. I do have some posted, if anybody is brave enough to look, at my archive

What really got me started as a newbie, though, was the support and encouragement of the writers involved in what have come to be termed 'the Jemmiah Chronicals'. There's too many individuals to list them all here, but they are the reason I've stuck around. Big, big thanks and hugs all round to all of them. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.