main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation When We Will We See the First Trailer?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by JarJar4Eva, Oct 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JarJar4Eva

JarJar4Eva Jedi Master

Nov 1, 2005
    Remember how excited we all were when The Phantom Menace trailer first came out? I saw it before The Water Boy and then sat through The Water Boy to see it again. (It could have been worse, I could have seen Meet Joe Black.) My guess is that we will see it with Tomorrowland which comes out May 22, 2015. I thought we might have seen it with Big Hero 6, but that comes out in a month and we probably would have heard something by now. Any other guesses?

2. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    I'd say definitely not until late spring or early Summer. While Disney could certainly do things differently now that they're in charge, if we look at the timeline from PT films, we got a teaser ~6 months before each film and then the full trailer ~3 months in advance.

I wouldn't be all that surprised if Disney put out a very brief teaser (nothing more than a familiar John Williams scene, some scenery of a planet, and the title) this winter, a lengthier teaser in the summer, then a full theatrical trailer next fall.

Worth noting that the teaser trailers for all of the PT films were attached to Pixar films and and Pixar's Inside Out comes out in June, lining up perfectly with the ~6 month timeline for teasers we've seen in the past. And now, Disney has even more of an incentive to attach a SW teaser to a Pixar film since they own both.

Revious Nugo likes this.
  3. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    I remember seeing the first Phantom Menace trailer on TV, I'd forgotten to put a tape in the VCR (remember those?) and when I pressed 'record,' nothing happened. I couldn't remember being so ridiculously excited for a movie, perhaps since the re-releases. I say DarthWilliams is right on the money, especially with a really short preview a year out, just to get everyone talking.

4. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    [face_thinking] The prequels did follow the 6 month-out formula, but for blockbusters it seems like the standard more and more these last few years is to release a brief teaser as much as a year or so out. Usually once filming has finished. But those seldom seem to show very much, for obvious reasons. I'd imagine we won't see a true 2 minute theatrical trailer until next summer...MAYBE May 4th, or comic-con. I bet comic-con will be full of SW Ep. VII stuff-panels, images, trailers and whatnot!

But I will throw out a guess that the very first actual teaser we'll see will be in...January. Or February. At least that's what I hope. In the meantime, I'll have the Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice and (hopefully) Jurassic World trailers to tide me over!! ;)

5. Revious Nugo

Revious Nugo Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 14, 2014
    Teaser trailer- first shown at Celebration VII, then released in theaters on May 4th.
    Movie Trailer- Late summer

I won't be surprised if they make two different trailers, one for adults/older kids and one for families, so they can appeal to each audience. The best Star Wars movies have something for everybody in them, but it's hard to show that in one trailer sometimes.

Also, before we see a trailer, we may see a poster.

When do you guys think the first teaser poster will come out?

6. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    Well, seeing as there's already been a teaser for Avengers THREE, I say they're slacking.

7. TheYodaPagoda

Apr 23, 2002
    So...can we speculate that a teaser trailer might be released Thanksgiving Week?

8. ArchStanton1862

ArchStanton1862 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 18, 2014
    We can speculate whatever we want. That's why it's called speculation. :p

9. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    This friday by the looks of it :)

10. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Is there any chance this doesn't leak online before it gets shown in theaters?

11. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    That depends on how it's delivered to the theaters, how far in advance people have access to it, etc.
    Hopefully, Lucasfilm released it online the same day, so that isn't a problem.

12. EternalHero

EternalHero Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2014
    Ugh. What a stupid idea. I don't get it :( If this is true then JJ's getting high on his own supply.

13. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    To release a trailer? What?

14. ArchStanton1862

Oct 18, 2014
  15. EternalHero

Feb 17, 2014

To release a trailer exclusively to a handful of cinemas for what appears to be one day. I'd say that's pretty MODified: Disallowed Word. Unless they put it online too but so far no word on that. This is no way to reward faithful SW fans. It's more like a punishment. The nearest theater to me showing the trailer is over 2 hours away. If anything this stunt makes me less eager to see the damned thing.

16. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    It is going to be in more than just those 9 theaters....a few other movie theater companies have already hinted they will be getting it too but are waiting to make an official announcement.

17. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Two hours is nothing. For me - it's across the broad Atlantic, if these were to be the only theatres showing it.
    Anyhow, this information came from a specific company that jumped the gun and released the information about the trailer first (they have since pulled that information). They are not showing it exclusively, I can guarantee that. It's just that during the weekend, it will show in front of every movie in those cinemas, and they wanted to be first to announce it to draw a big audience.
    Don't worry, the trailer will be released, probably worldwide, this weekend - if Regal weren't full-on lying!

EDIT: Oh, would you look at that:
    [​IMG]

18. ArchStanton1862

Oct 18, 2014
    AMC's confirming it too on Twitter (@AMCTheatres). It's not just Regal.

TigerCraneFist likes this.
  19. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    I agree and I have to admit I am more than just a little perturbed over this. You're one of the lucky ones being within 2 hours. I looked at the official starwars.com complete list (not just the Regal list - I'm talking the complete list) and the nearest theater to me is 6 hours away - and I will be in a fairly well populated area (near central Florida).

I guess Star Wars fans are now divided into the haves and have-nots. This is bullcrap.

EternalHero likes this.
  20. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Twelve-hour flight... so no teaser for me until after the weekend [face_plain]

21. Revious Nugo

Revious Nugo Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 14, 2014
    It sounds like the teaser it getting a wide release this December. Yay!
    http://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-the-force-awakens-tease-theater-list
    "An early 88-second tease of Star Wars: The Force Awakens can be seen in 30 theaters across North America beginning Friday morning, November 28. Following this weekend, the tease can be seen in theaters around the world this December."

22. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    the nearest one from me is like 80 miles.

23. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I'm sure it'll go viral on the net on said day, too. :)

24. EternalHero

Feb 17, 2014
    This is one of the stupidest promotional strategies I have ever heard of. "I have a great idea: let's make it almost impossible for most people to see the most anticipated trailer of all time and also piss off the fanbase!" Lucas released generously long trailers to be played at your local cinema and simultaneously online. This is complete & utter BS.

Beezer likes this.
  25. TheYodaPagoda

Apr 23, 2002
    I guess you heard it here first!^^^
    That's what I'm banking on. I was actually kinda surprised they didn't have a showing here in Portland, Oregon. As much as I love Star Wars, there's no way I'm driving to Seattle for an 88 second trailer. Online it is!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.