main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit When will we get an announcement of the Status of the EU?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Sep 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Let it die? Let it be..

2. HWK-290

HWK-290 Jedi Padawan star 2

Jul 29, 2013
    ...they're already all but doing this in the Ep VII boards.

3. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    No kidding, after about a week of everywhere I look people welcoming the death of the EU on the the Episode VII forms, I gave up even trying to venture there and that was only a handful of threads in the first place.

tjace, Robimus and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  4. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    What I am saying is when are they going to say they are going to restart the new ST universe. And if we are lucky how they are going to continue the current universe.

5. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Were the former to happen, I don't think there'd be an announcement in and of itself. We'd find out when they announced the first ST tie-in book--which won't be for a long time no matter what. Were the latter to happen, we'd find out when SotJ started ramping up again.

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  7. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I've got a vat of liquid nitrogen with me. The day they axe the EU, the biggest hits are going in. Ruins of Dantooine, Jedi Trial, Invincible, etc etc. And they will be subsequently hurled off the tallest building in the vicinity.

Crystal Star? More like Crystal Shatter.

Rew, HWK-290, aleja2 and 1 other person like this.
  8. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    See, you know Star Wars continuity has become unhealthy for readers when they feel compelled to own books like Ruins of Dantooine or Invincible.

9. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Likely we'll get that announcement when the first Episode VII tie-in novel is released--a thrilling tale in which Ronda Solo and Pete Fett team up and steal the plans for the Doom Dome.

10. HWK-290

HWK-290 Jedi Padawan star 2

Jul 29, 2013
    ...so we'll have another Operation Skyhook on our hands?

Quick, think up another twenty names!

11. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    You mean you're still waiting?

12. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    Personally if they split off and made two universe I would be fine and buy both.

Here is how I think they should split it up:

Main Universe:
    The Saga
    TCW
    Rebels
    Star Wars by Brain Wood
    The ST (and any other continuations of the saga)
    The Spinoffs
    EU 2.0

"Ultimate" Universe:
    The Saga
    Anything not included in the above list.

If they continue the "Ultimate" universe I would totally stick around the franchise and read/watch the main universe also. But if they do not I will just finish up my collection of the "Ultimate" EU and call it a day.

13. Alixen

Alixen Jedi Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    I can see the current EU simply being declared Alternate Universe, or perhaps the largest Infinities storyline/s in the history of a franchise.

After all, it seems the Big 3 are going to be in at least the first film, and Abrams can hardly do what he did with Star Trek, since SW has never really delved into alternate timelines. But that only threatens a portion of cannon, that of the post-RotJ. So, everything from Dawn of the Jedi up until Return of the Jedi will likely remain canon, especially if Disney don't renew books contracts. Which means Mara Jade, Kyle Katarn, Corran Horn, ect, ect, will all still be alive in the 'new' continuity, they just might not be a part of the Big 3's lives.

JJ has been rather good with Star Trek, so i'm hoping he will at least work in mentions, if not appearances, by the more popular EU characters.

If worst comes to worst, as i've said before, not continuing the current EU and establishing them as AU/Infinities isn't going to make the books/comics/games on our shelves self-destruct. We will always have them. We will just also have an excuse to ignore the ones we don't like, and a new SW movie to go see every couple of years, the rights help by a company who has a rather good track record for hiring directors for its franchises.

BigAl6ft6, aleja2, Rew and 1 other person like this.
  14. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    I just hope that will continue the current continuity.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  15. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    Would it be so difficult to just set it after Crucible and before Legacy?

16. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Episode VII? It's restrictive.

17. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    I was hoping they would do that and have it focus on Jania's, Ben's and Allana's kids.

18. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I am hoping for something that does away with the misguided nonsense that abandons the basics of what Star Wars is that is the Denningverse, but I believe they are going to either embrace all of the EU or do away with it completely.

19. Alixen

Aug 7, 2003
    One way we might get a hint: how much, if any, of the Star Trek 'EU' was used and/or referenced in the two Star Trek films? I personally wouldn't know, as a casual Trek watcher.

20. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I am more concerned about the implications of Ardnt apparently having to start from Lucas' ideas than I am about Abrams, because if they won't even try to use Chee and the Holocron, then the ST isn't likely to be consistent with the EU. Of course, that would probably lead them down the road of including the Denningverse, which will probably doom the films for me. The way TCW handled things is enough to give me pause about LFL's ability to respect the EU.

21. Alixen

Aug 7, 2003
    I don't know. I personally loved TCW, and would happily sacrifice the stories it trod on, if only because it was a fun show, with a decent budget, some good stories, and it actually included many EU characters. A lot of the CW EU still fit, too, with a little shuffling. Medstar can be set before Season 5, and thus plant the seeds. Shatterpoint and Labyrinth of Evil are pretty much unaffected as far as I know.

What did TCW actually mess up, aside from Traviss' work?

DigitalMessiah likes this.
  22. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    It basically redid the Clone Wars, from when Anakin was Knighted and suddenly giving him a Padawan for no reason to undermining so many aspects of RotS and the Clone Wars EU, that I am glad it never interested me.

Reaper63 likes this.
  23. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    TCW didn't actually mess up Traviss' work, funnily enough.

I think the Mortis episodes alone make TCW worth it, but I also like the Nightsisters/Maul stuff.

24. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I hate all of it, the initial premise of Anakin being Knighted shortly after Geonosis and having a Padawan, Darth Maul's "survival" and everything involved with that, and undermining so many aspects of RotS and the Clone Wars EU. Yes it did, the New Mandalorians are supposedly on Mandalore when they should be on Kalevala. Its also hard to take Traviss' novels seriously, flaws and all, when the New Mandalorians are supposedly out there, even though they are being ignored by the clans and not being created at the time isn't an excuse. I don't exactly know what Mortis is, but everything I have heard says the Ones are the personification of the balance of the Force which is a no-no.

Rew likes this.
  25. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    It isn't. There is no Star Trek EU. The closest Star Trek ever gets is using some of the conjecture in the Okuda sources, but those are 99% cataloging material from the TV shows and movies anyways.

There's recently been an unofficial movement, I believe, of authors doing a "stealth" EU with recent material... but that's contingent on Paramount never returning to regular Trek. Ask Virgin Books how that worked out for their Doctor Who novels, which created a rather elaborate universe that built directly off of unused plotlines at the end of the 7th Doctor and built on that for a decade or more, before it all came crashing down.
    Star Trek had a WEG-level RPG for a few years, a lesser version of Star Wars' Essential Atlas (mostly just a map book, but elaborately done - Jason Fry mentioned it was an inspiration of sorts for the Atlas)... and none of it, that I'm aware has even been used in the Star Trek novels and comics, much less the movies.
    Star Wars EU exists mainly because Timothy Zahn adopted using WEG's RPG material as a foundation and it snowballed from there. That never happened with Star Trek, and I doubt lightning would strike twice for Star Wars. I think some fans are under the delusion that if the EU goes away a new EU 2.0 will be created out of the ashes of the old, coincidentally getting rid of whatever that particular fan likes the least. This is absolutely absurd - why should new authors be beholden any more than the movie and TV script writers to use other book/comics material in this case? Old authors might recycle their own material (if they even wanted bother with this hypothetical "new" EU) but new authors are going to write what they want with only the movies and TV shows as a guide. And they will concentrate heavily on the characters and locations from the movies, bet on it - conventional wisdom for tie-ins is that fans want more of the same.
    If that's what you're hoping for, go read Shatner's novels (i.e. story outlines fleshed out by ghost writers) involving Kirk being reanimated by the Borg. There's your future Star Wars "EU 2.0" in all its glory.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.