main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gd Rapids, MI When y'all gonna have that first meeting topic?

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Jedi_Satimber, Jan 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BultarSwan

BultarSwan Founder: Grand Rapids, MI FF star 10

Jul 5, 2003
    As you know, our first meeting was at the Barnes and Noble in the Rivertown Crossings mall.

The most exciting news IMO, is that while there, we met a guy who seemed interested in joining the GR FF. We gave him Mistryl's, Jaareth's and my screen names and directions on how to find our forum. Hopefully, he shows up soon. If not *Shrug* there's no harm.

Since I was thinking we'd have a slightly larger group attending, I really didn't have much planned as far as formal FF businness, but we talked about other places we could possibly meet, the forum itself, a lot about Jaareth's capabilities in the costuming department, ideas for other threads that would be useful for keeping things interesting and other activities we could do as a group other than regular meetings.

As for the next one, I'm thinking that we should have the meetings monthly (which doesn't include other activities) at around the same time each month so that people have some idea of when they need to be available.

2. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    BultarSwan :eek: I didn't know you were from around here! Figured someone like you was already part of a FF somewhere? How's everyone over at EUDF?

Polls are good, helps get a feel for when/where most of the people around here are available.

My advice (and this has proven to work for my FF as well as others) is to pick a specific week for meetings. In our case, the 3rd Saturday of the month (according to Sal in Pittsburgh) is the least likely to have any major holidays conflict with your meetings. Swear to Yoda it works...we go every other month, with other social events in between. But the 3rd Saturday theory is sound!

3. BultarSwan

Jul 5, 2003
    Everyone over at the EUDF, as far as I know are doing well. :) We haven't had many problems to deal with.

Sounds good, Krash. Thanks for the info. :)

I was hoping to have meetings on a regularly scheduled timeframe so that people could plan ahead.

How close to Grand Rapids are you?

4. Qonas

Qonas Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2003
    3rd Saturday? No wonder R2Detroit has had some schedule problems the past few months, we've always been doing the second Saturday. :p

It sounds like the hopeful first meeting kinda dudded, if you'd like I could drag my midget butt over and represent R2-Detroit. Maybe the attraction of the King of Midgets will get the Grand Rapiders together. :p

5. BultarSwan

Jul 5, 2003
    I do say! That sounds like a marvelous idea! :D :D :D

(In other words, PLEEEEEEEEEASE!) ;)

6. Qonas

Qonas Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2003
    Twist my arm... ;)

When are you going to be setting up a meeting again, the 3rd Saturday this month or are you going to regroup to wait for July?

7. BultarSwan

Jul 5, 2003
    I was thinking third Saturday. That should give people enough time to plan for it. :)

As for where though, I'm not sure a Barnes and Noble would suffice as they don't have enough room for a larger group of people to meet. Maybe we could still meet at the Barnes and Noble in Rivertown Crossings Mall and then if we need to, we can move elsewhere. There's GOT to be a place we can all meet together!

8. nashira

nashira Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2002
    Qonas, if you're gonna be there, there's no way you'll get me there! :p

Just kidding, of course. June will be bad for me, as we're moving later this month and I'll be busy packing and stuff.

9. Qonas

Qonas Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2003
    Bah, the second ya saw me wearing a gigantically oversized leprechaun's hat all the political differences'd go right out the window. :p

3rd Saturday is good, you should start a seperate thread saying that there will be a meeting then so people are forewarned. Now I have no clue what the crap is in Grand Rapids, heh, but when we started having our meetings at Border's it was awesome. However, we originally moved there because being in a mall was too loud so I dunno. But a bookstore like that, B&N or Border's, is great for this kinda stuff.

10. Nuclear_Holocat

Nuclear_Holocat Jedi Youngling

Feb 25, 2002
    I'd go for Barnes and Nobles or Schuler's books. They are places that everyone knows. Barnes has 2 localtions, one in kentwood by the beltline and the other is at the new mall in grandville. Schulers is on 28th street and also on Alpine. Another good thing is there is plenty of parking. If we have the meeting downtown, parking can be hard to come by.

Is there a way we can set up a member poll to see where we should have it?

11. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Barnes and Noble at Rivertown rocks as a location, I must say. However, Saturdays are just bad days for me, so it looks like I won't be able to make it out. :( If I didn't have to pay for textbooks in the fall, it might be a different story...

Hi, Krash! Hope things are peachy back in the land of Cleves. My current return date is August 25th, so I might see some JKoC people sometime after that. :)

12. BultarSwan

Jul 5, 2003
    REALLY IMPORTANT. READ!

Next meeting: JUNE 26th, 7pm.

Will you be able to come? PM me with an answer asap.

Thanks!

13. lovelucas

lovelucas Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2004
    finally found a GR FF! i work downtown, live NE side -
    will be happy to meet anywhere, tho -
    any thoughts to finding a site close to celebration theatre? that's where IMAX is :)

14. BultarSwan

Jul 5, 2003
    The June 26th meeting is at the Rivertown Crossings Mall in the Barnes and Noble on the second level of the building.

15. Count_Scoobith

Count_Scoobith Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 11, 2004
    Your kidding me, .... :_| :_| I might (about 83.487%) be gone again practicing for PB tourney at Colors. What time will the meeting be BultarSwan ?

16. Qonas

Qonas Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2003
    Next meeting: JUNE 26th, 7pm.

17. BultarSwan

Jul 5, 2003
    Bummer. :( I really hope that you can make part of the meeting, but if not, at least there will still be next time. :D

18. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    Do you want the meeting posted on the news page?

~H~

19. BultarSwan

Jul 5, 2003
    YES PLEASE, DJ!!! :D :D

20. GIMER

GIMER Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 15, 2000
    "tell everybody I'm on my way..."

21. BultarSwan

Jul 5, 2003
    Will do! :D

22. BultarSwan

Jul 5, 2003
    Gee, this is great. [face_plain] I have no way to get to or from the meeting. :mad: :mad: :_| :_|

23. Qonas

Qonas Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2003
    I was there, should've called my cell and I could've picked ya up. Either of us who showed up could've, heh. And boy you missed it!!! Kenny Baker was there, and so we put a nametag on him saying "Hi My Name Is Qonas" and there was this model convention out on the first floor, and guess what? It turns out they really, really like Star Wars nerds. Not to mention Kenny Baker did the Hammer-Time dance for them. Man oh man, Swan, you missed it. :p

24. pretender

pretender Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 8, 2001
    I showed up, and it was pretty wild. I guess their's always next time. [face_laugh]

25. BultarSwan

Jul 5, 2003
    Well, at least I still have my imagination of what it all looked like. That's probably even wilder. [face_mischief] [face_laugh] ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.