When you fall into lava-YOU DON'T LIVE!!!

Discussion in 'Attack of the Clones' started by Crystena77, Sep 9, 1999.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crystena77 Force Ghost

star 4
    I am trying to come to some resolution here. Have you seen what lava can do to you?

Don't feed me that Chosen One crap, since when is midichlorians a heat shield?

No, I'm not a basher. I'll go to my grave with my SW saga on DVD in my casket.

Honeycomb structure? O.K. We'll look the other way. Mysteriously appearing Y-wings in ANH? I say maybe the guy went for beer for the after battle bash. Why Red FIVE( a rookie) was made leader, when Red TWO and Red THREE were both next in line, and all Red Five had to recommend himself was almost running into the Death Star and getting Red Two to save his tail? I always said Red Leader was directed by the force. That Lando can understand the Fish Man? O.k. maybe there were some fishman language classes on Bespin. But this lava thing? I'm trying here.

Help.

Maybe he just gets really close to the lava...

*sigh*

[This message has been edited by Crystena77 (edited 09-09-1999).]
  2. Shar Kida Jedi Master

star 4
    Ol'val, Crystena.

Actually, there was a case about five years back, when a St Lucia guide fell through the crust into active lava up to his hips. He survived, with both legs amputated.

Needless to say, they no longer allow tours onto the actual crust.

I am no longer young enough to know everything.
    - Oscar Wilde
  3. Beecher Jedi Padawan

Suspension of disbelief, perhaps? That's something that's quite often needed at the movies.

Or maybe he doesn't fall COMPLETELY in the lava... maybe he just kinda skirts along the edge... or floats! Yeah, that's it...

You said not to, but I'll do it anyway, he's the Chosen One. So maybe he can walk on lava...

[This message has been edited by Beecher (edited 09-09-1999).]
  4. Jason Sunrider Jedi Knight

star 1
    Perhaps Anakin never fell IN to the lava, and only got singed.
  5. Crystena77 Force Ghost

star 4
    Shar Kida:

Couldn't resist, could you?

So then how, my quote-obsessed friend, would this translate into needing a venitilator? Vader has no hands as well. Does he kinda fall in and lose all his limbs? Can you submerge your limbs and not your chest?

I am curious to see what GL will do.

6. YODA the all powerful Moderator Emeritus

star 4
    Maybe he snorted a few too many fumes on the way down?

I have to go with the suspension of disbelief thing though.
  7. LucasuX Jedi Knight

Um, maybe he doesnt fall into a lava pit in the movies.
  8. wedge3210 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    This is going to have to be one of those wait and find out things I think. It's something thats bugged me for some time also.

9. Crystena77 Force Ghost

star 4
    I've found a kindred spirit in Wedge. *sniff*

Isn't that what happens though Yoda, the fumes knock you out first and then the lava sweeps you up...

Singed? Maybe. But his heads all messed up and his limbs are missing.

AHHHHH!

I'll go with the suspension of disbelief. Cool idea.

[This message has been edited by Crystena77 (edited 09-09-1999).]
  10. jwkenobi Jedi Knight

star 1
    I think it is possible for him to fall in and get out QUICKLY some how before he is totally burned away, but I would think Obi-Wan would spend at least a few minutes looking down and trying to see if he could locate him.

Of course, it may be the same technique that allowed the Joker in "Batman" to emerge from a pit of toxic acid deformed, but alive. (Movie Magic)
  11. Mon Crabstick Jedi Padawan

Where did the lava pit info come from originally? If GL has spies in this forum he'll probably give the lava the flick altogether and have Anakin mauled by Banthas or something. Or not.
  12. Crystena77 Force Ghost

star 4
    Lava pit info? I believe novelization or ROTJ.

I'm disregarding the EU.

13. YODA the all powerful Moderator Emeritus

star 4
    Maybe he wanted to improve his pitching arm, so he told them to just take that one off too?

Perhaps they don't have steroids in this galaxy far far away?
  14. Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling

star 6
    I would not be surprised if he did fall into the lava, but it is possible that the Emperor was able to save him using the force.

I mean really, if Yoda can float X-wings around, I am sure the Emperor can lift Anakin out of the lave before he is totally unsalvagable.

However the final battle goes, I am sure it will be a good piece of cinema.
  15. Beecher Jedi Padawan

The lava pit came, for me, from the 'Return of the Jedi' novelization and the annotated script, I think. It's late.

[This message has been edited by Beecher (edited 09-09-1999).]
  16. Crystena77 Force Ghost

star 4
    YODA the all powerful:

Excellent point.
  17. Mon Crabstick Jedi Padawan

Thanks, guys. I began reading the ANH novel about 18 years ago and still haven't gotten around to finishing it! And I call myself a fan.
  18. Sable Phoenix Jedi Padawan

I personally think GL will change this on us and have Anakin get electrocuted or something.

Anyway, The Force obviously can be used to shield yourself from heat; witness how close Qui-Gon's hand was to the melting door when he rammed his 'sabre through it. Any normal person would've been seriously burned. Anakin could've used The Force to keep himself alive, but eventually been overpowered by the strain of trying to shield his whole body from such intense heat. And yes, lava exudes hot, sulphuric fumes that'll actually knock you down unconcious if you get caught in them; I don't see a problem with Vader wearing a breathing mask.
  19. Shar Kida Jedi Master

star 4
    Ol'val, all.

Sable Phoenix: Welcome to the Forum.

Crystena:
    But if I could resist, it would not be called temptation, yes? Besides, you have to admit it got your thread going on a totally different basis than simply "Sure it is possible!" "No it is not!"

"Quote-obsessed":
    <standing back a bit, looking through a fingers-frame to see how it fits>
    Not bad. Not bad at all.

If memory serves, the reference was in Kenobi's advice to Luke in the ROTJ novelization and (I believe) the radio play, when he tells Luke how his father "died." As to how GL will go about it -- or _whether_ -- I rather like your idea of a wait-and-see attitude. It is possible to see a thing too clearly.

Should I/should I not ...
    Cronfire! One more, just for you:

"The way up and the way down are one and the same."
    - Heraclitus

[This message has been edited by Shar Kida (edited 09-09-1999).]
  20. jwkenobi Jedi Knight

star 1
    Okay, all this was bugging the crap out of me so I had to go look it up and see for myself. The exact words from the ROJ novel are:

"When I saw what had become of him, I tried to dissuade him, to draw him back from the dark side. We fought...your father fell into a molten pit. When your father clawed his way out of that fiery pool, the change had been burned into him forever - he was Darth Vader, without a trace of Anakin Skywalker. Irredeemibly dark. Scarred. Kept alive by machinery and his own black will...."

So there you have it. The only official (so far) known history of what happened.
  21. Pedro Force Ghost

star 4

I swear that in one source it was said that Anakin was crushed by something. All others referred to the molten pit. (It's really late - can anyone back me up on this?)

22. Jedi Ph' onik Jedi Padawan

Going back to that quote supplied by JWKenobi, it states "a molten pit". Molten what? NO mention of lava, just molten..stuff.
    Could be molten cheese.
  23. JediSwoosh Jedi Padawan

24. JediSwoosh Jedi Padawan

I think that one of the rumors has been that when kenobi knocks him in, he almost immediately pulls him out using the light side of the Force, he looks into Anakins eyes to see remorse, but there is only anger. Storm Troopers arrive on the scene and Kenobi sees nothing to gain by defeating them. Kenobi picks up Anakin's old light saber and escapes. Anakin is brought to Sidious who uses the Empires technology to give him his breathing suit and Darth Vader is born.
  25. JediSwoosh Jedi Padawan

I think that one of the rumors has been that when Kenobi knocks him in, he almost immediately pulls him out using the light side of the Force, he looks into Anakins eyes to see remorse, but there is only anger. Storm Troopers arrive on the scene and Kenobi sees nothing to gain by defeating them. Kenobi picks up Anakin's old light saber and escapes. Anakin is brought to Sidious who uses the Empires technology to give him his breathing suit and Darth Vader is born.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.