When you fall into lava-YOU DON'T LIVE!!!

Discussion in 'Attack of the Clones' started by Crystena77, Sep 9, 1999.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fatboy_Roberts Jedi Youngling

star 3
    why can't you fall in a volcano and not actually fall into lava.

Volcanos are pretty big, no? and the insides don't have to be smooth, beveled insides. There can be crags and jags and plateaus and whatnot..what's to say Anakin doesn't fall and bounce off these rocks and protrusions all the way down, breaking his ribs, shattering his bones, all that, until he rests on a ledge over some lava where the heat slowly blisters his body, being as he can't move since he's broken all his limbs on the way down. Lava might splash up and get on him here and there maybe..

why couldn't something like that work?

Peace,
    Fatboy
  2. NovaStarslayer Jedi Knight

star 3
    cool post skywalk...... had no idea those books existed. i suck
  3. Bithysith Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Interesting post, Skywalk. That sounds extremely plausable.
    I like your idea too, Fatboy. One could incorperate both of your theories.
  4. Narggawa-Kai Jedi Padawan

This is believe is where Anakin loses an arm, for we know unless the lava pit is an active volcano there are crust deposits hard enough to land on and survive. (except the are in the lava) And let us not forget that Jedi can levitate a fact which may come to pass for us viewers in one of the next films :>
  5. Crystena77 Force Ghost

star 4
    Fatboy- that sounds too disturbing. :(

Not that falling in lava is less disturbing mind you.
  6. Crystena77 Force Ghost

star 4
    :)

Don't want this to sink and die.
  7. Saurion-Fett Force Ghost

star 4
    I think if any of you had bothered to read the ROTJ novel properly you would have read that Anakin fell on a Lava Lamp and the Emperor had his chief proctologist remove it. Vader enjoyed this so much hence the leather suit and gimp mask.
  8. Darth_Dolza Force Ghost

star 5
    Hmm... This is a pretty decent thread. :D

I've always kinda had an issue with the whole lava thing as well. I guess it's possible, and I imagine that's all that's needed in this case; a lot of improbable things happen in Star Wars, after all. It's a bit of a stretch, but it's not contrary to the established pattern for Anakin to survive something like that.

As for your lava lamp point, Saurion, I think it speaks for itself, so I won't comment on that other than to say "Ewwwww!" [face_laugh]
  9. DarthSapient Jedi Youngling

star 10
    In a lava flow, it is very possible to live even though you have been in contact with it. Anakin's limbs may come in contact with the lava but due to the extreme heat, everything may be neatly and cleanly cauterized.

Sapient
  10. Bithysith Jedi Grand Master

star 5

Lava won't kill you if it briefly touches you. You would get a nasty burn, but unless you fell in and couldn't get out, you wouldn't die. With prolonged contact, the amount of lava "coverage" and the length of time it was in contac! with your skin would be important factors in how severe your injuries would be! The health of the individual, the amount of time before care can be given and the quality of that care would also be important. In fact there have been 2 cases at the Hawaiian Volcano Observatory where a geologist fell into lava. Fortunately in both instances the lava was not very deep and they were able to get out quickly. Both ended up in the hospital and it was a scary and painful experience. Both recovered fine. Blong (1984) points out that little research has been done on injuries caused by lava. People have been killed by very fast moving lava flows. A recent example was the 1977 eruption at Nyiragongo.

(from http://volcano.und.nodak.edu/vwdocs/frequent_questions/top_101/Lava/Lava11.html)

Actually, there is more risk to a human from accompanying steam blasts that toss rocks, scalding waves, asphyxiation due to accompanying toxic gases, pyroclastic flows from a collapsing dome, and lahars (a torrential flow of water-saturated volcanic debris down the slope of a volcano in response to gravity. They provide a large threat of crushing injury or death) from meltwater.

11. Darth_Dolza Force Ghost

star 5
    I wonder if the guy at the Hawaiian Observatory actually fell into the volcano of if he just fell in the lava as it was flowing down the volcano's outer wall...

Anyhow, I'd suspect that the gases would provide some major breathing problems.
  12. DarthSapient Jedi Youngling

star 10
    To understand all about volcanoes, I'd need to be a Vulcanologist. Being a Vulcanologist brings me one step too close of Spock. And I have no interest in being a Trekkie.
  13. Bithysith Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I wonder if the guy at the Hawaiian Observatory actually fell into the volcano of if he just fell in the lava as it was flowing down the volcano's outer wall...

I don't see how Anakin could fall into an active volcano and survive... only lava was mentioned in the title of this thread... and that is survivable. Like I mentioned in a post earlier in this thread, perhaps his lung injuries were caused by the gases accompanying volcanic activity.

14. DarthSapient Jedi Youngling

star 10
    You see, his survival just adds to Vader's lore. Because he survives, he must be very powerful. And if he's alive he must be back with a vengeance, especially against the Jedi.

Sapient
  15. Bithysith Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Very true, very true. Star Wars has never been about scientific realism... it is more mythological. Vader's "resurrection" would be very symbolic.
  16. Darth_Dolza Force Ghost

star 5

... perhaps his lung injuries were caused by the gases accompanying volcanic activity.

I agree. That's the first thought that crossed my mind when you posted that portion of the article.
  17. Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Quote:
    "Star Wars has never been about scientific realism... "

Yeah but they've never been so scientifically innacurate as having someone fall into lava and survive. I think he'll get sliced and diced by Obi Wan, maybe he;ll catch on fire breifly, inhale some scalding vapors, maybe fall into a bear trap, perhaps a vat of tar and a pile of feathers, and maybe step in some gum. That would be suitible enough to cause his injuries but still survive. He's not going to literally fall into lava.
  18. DarthSapient Jedi Youngling

star 10
    If they were about scientific realism, the stormtroopers would always hit their mark and the heroes would be dead [face_mischief]
  19. Mace_Winduel Jedi Knight

star 2
    This has been discussed in several threads. One thread I thought somebody proved that in the original novel, it was Lava pit(not molten pit) And in the later revisions, it was changed to Molten pit. I don't know, maybe I'm wacky. Anybody remember this?
  20. Bithysith Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yeah but they've never been so scientifically innacurate as having someone fall into lava and survive

Read my earlier post, Padme Bra. There have been 2 cases at the Hawaiian Volcano Observatory where a geologist has fallen into lava... neither case was lethal.
  21. Darth Nemesis Jedi Master

star 1
    Pedro look here

http://www.theforce.net/swtc/injuries.html
  22. dolphin Chosen One

star 4
    Take the volcano idea and throw it out the window. It's been talked about so much that GL will try to come up a new(and better) idea of how Anakin gets his injuries.
  23. iTI Jedi Padawan

Is this thread the oldest still being frequented?

Anyway, after getting a taste of LOTR, I'm more certain than ever that Vader will be baptized in the proverbial fires of Mt. Doom in Ep3. I think Lucas will continue to borrow heavily from LOTR in respect to Anakin's death and Vader's birth in fire. There's only so much originality he can muster before he has to return to the archetypes that are the foundation of any epic story. So Lucas will come up with a planet, perhaps Sullust, Anakin will probably challenge Obi-Wan to a duel as the official site has hinted, or at least have a big conflict, and Obi-Wan damn-near kills his own Padawan. Just as he slew Maul in Ep1, it'll come full-circle and he'll slay Anakin and rid the Jedi of their dark curse.

Or so he thought...
  24. DarthBane93 Force Ghost

star 4
    dolphin hit the nail on the head. If fans expect the lava thing to happen, Lucas most likely will change it.
  25. Darth_Fromupnorth Jedi Master

star 2
    I think that's exactly why he'll keep it. We've been waiting for that moment for 20 years, I don't think Lucas will risk throwing it away.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.