main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

When you fall into lava-YOU DON'T LIVE!!!

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Crystena77, Sep 9, 1999.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Senator Dzrekpo Amegnran

Senator Dzrekpo Amegnran Jedi Master star 3

Oct 6, 1999
    Barney was one lucky man. Witness:

http://www.bedrock2000.com/fg/rubbles/betty5.gif

2. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Ya, she's a babe!

3. Hung Solo

Hung Solo Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 6, 1998
    But I'm guessing she can't cook, certainly not breakfast. Why else would Barney be after Fred's breakfast all the time?

4. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    nobody said

YABAA YABAA DOOOOO!!!

5. IronParrot

IronParrot Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 2, 1999
    In anticipation of the Snowboard exodus, to the top this goes.

6. Faces of Silas

Faces of Silas Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 11, 1999
    To the top, per IronParrot's request.

7. IronParrot

Aug 2, 1999
    Thanks. It's a pity I didn't manage to get this little gem onto the index... it's one of the great threads of the JC.

8. Live Fast...Dianoga

Live Fast...Dianoga Jedi Youngling star 2

May 18, 2000
    Sunday 7/30/00 8-11pm on The Learning Channel is showing a special on "lava chasers." If you have satellite/cable, check it out...it might settle this, or raise new questions. I was flipping channels and saw the ad, and it reminded me of this thread.

9. Scruff

Scruff Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 1999
    It's been mentioned in other threads, but I'll add it here. In the "Science of Star Wars", the author points out that a steel worker fell up to his hips in molten steel, which is many times hotter than lava. She (Jeane Cavelos) says he received 4th degree burns on both legs. Let me point out that as an EMT I've never heard of 4th degree, in fact, we don't use 1st, 2nd , or 3rd degree as terms of burns anymore. The nomenclature is Superficial, Prtial Thickness, and Full Thickness. Regardless, with full thickness burns in both legs, the steel worker survived, and after a lengthy recovery, he regained use of both legs without amputation. He does use a cane though.

10. Vergere

Vergere Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 19, 2000
    I don't know if the lava thing is real or not, but I thought the answer to your question was a bit obvious--if you've read the Jedi Academi Trilogy. Remember how Luke walks across the LAVA?! He shields himself with the Force. Maybe that's what Anakin did, but either couldnt shield himself completely or he didn't sheild himself fast enough. Either way, it's still star wars, and that's pretty much an answer in itself. Luke got an artificial hand...why can't Anakin get artificial limbs...?

11. IronParrot

Aug 2, 1999
    Admiral_Thrawn60, keep in mind that how Vader looks in ROTJ when he takes off his mask might not just be affected by whatever accident he had that placed him in the suit. Just keeping the helmet so much could affect his skin.

12. Lord Mauly Mall

Lord Mauly Mall TFN/JC Banner Artist Team star 7 VIP

Oct 21, 1999
    I fell in love once. I survived=)

13. StevenE

StevenE Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 21, 1999
    "The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the force."
    People are saying that they don't think he would survive....they don't believe it. This is why Luke failed, you have to unlearn what you have learned!
    He will survive (obviously) but it will be done in a believable way.

14. IronParrot

Aug 2, 1999
    Heh, Lord Mauly Mall... you forgot one thing...

When you fall in love - YOU DON'T LIVE!!! ;)

15. Lord Mauly Mall

Lord Mauly Mall TFN/JC Banner Artist Team star 7 VIP

Oct 21, 1999
    I know IronParrot, THAT'S THE SCARY PART! I actually lived to tell- wait a minute, maybe I'm just a spirit?
    *pokes self, feels nothing

Nevermind, I didn't live afterall.

(papa loves mambo)

16. That awful vracer

That awful vracer Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2000
    When you guys were talking about Betty Rubble, are you talking about the cartoon, or Rosie O'Donell ?????

17. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    Well if you count EU, which may have happened, i havent read ALL the posts, Vader lost one hand to the emperor for losing the death star. the head scaring could be from a fall, they are cuts and abrasions, only severe.

18. Scruff

May 25, 1999
    Never mention Rosie in the same sentence as Betty Rubble. That was horrible casting.

Many stories have been told about Vader's hand. Mara may or may not have been mistaken about Palpatine taking his hand for losing the Death Star. Luke cut Vader's right arm off in Splinter of the Mind's Eye. Who's to say it wasn't artificial even before either of those events?

19. Darth Jamus

Darth Jamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 1, 2000
    Originally posted by VERGERE

"but I thought the answer was a bit obvious--if you've read the Jedi Academy trilogy. Remember how Luke walks across lava?! He shields himself with the force."

This is exactly the kind of stupidity that makes me hate EU, espescially when Kevin J. Anderson is the author! What next? Luke Healing people! Luke's death! Luke's resurrection! Luke judging mankind for their sins! The use of the force doesn't make you god-like for crying out loud! Lava is hot and it kills! Period! End of discussion! Also, I don't believe the story of a steel worker falling into molten steel up to his waste for a second! Impossible!!!!!!

I think that Anakin falls into a volcanic crater, but not into the fiery pool itself. This would be more than enough to severely burn him. Also, the fall could result in the broken body and the super heated sulfer fumes would be enough to cause his lungs to be burnt.

20. The Mentos® Strikes Back

The Mentos® Strikes Back Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2000
    I could tell you the answer but then it would spoil the movie and you would be mad.

21. Vergere

Vergere Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 19, 2000
    Darth Jamus: Even if you don't agree with the EU, you have to take it into account. Lucas wouldn't disreguard what's already happened. Every single one of his movies/books/comics/etc. is true to everything that happened before it was made. So there must be an excuse why Anakin couldn't completely shield himself before being burned.

22. Crystena77

Crystena77 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 1999
  23. Jedi_Master_Matthew

Jedi_Master_Matthew Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 22, 2000
    Another important point: it just says molten pit. It doesn't necessarily have to be lava. It could be a substance with a lower melting point. If you look at the periodic table, the melting points for substances vary greatly. For example, the pit might have been Francium, which melts at 106.29 degrees F, or Cesium (108.72). If we take into accout the breething problem, perhaps it was Phosphorus. Phosphorus melts at 137.07 degrees F and can cause damage to the alveoli in the lungs if inhaled in quantity.

24. Scruff

May 25, 1999
    Yes it does say lava.

QUOTE: "Memories of molten lava, crawling up his back...no." UNQUOTE

25. Jedi_Master_Matthew

Jedi_Master_Matthew Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 22, 2000
    As jwkenobi said:
    -----------
    The exact words from the ROJ novel are:

"When I saw what had become of him, I tried to dissuade him, to draw him back from the dark side. We fought...your father fell into a molten pit. When your father clawed his way out of that fiery pool, the change had been burned into him forever - he was Darth Vader, without a trace of Anakin Skywalker. Irredeemibly dark. Scarred. Kept alive by machinery and his own black will...."

So there you have it. The only official (so far) known history of what happened.
    -------------
    I know in the EU it became lava, but GL is clearly disregarding the EU in the prequels. I wouldn't be surprised if the whole pit idea is dropped. Still, the novelization of RotJ is the closest thing we have to an official souce, so that is the frame I work from.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.