main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

When you fall into lava-YOU DON'T LIVE!!!

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Crystena77, Sep 9, 1999.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scruff

Scruff Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 1999
    My quote was from the ROTJ novel. It was not from an EU source.

2. Jedi_Master_Matthew

Jedi_Master_Matthew Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 22, 2000
    Ooops, I don't have the book handy...

In any case, lava is relative. What I meen by that is that the blanket def. of lava is any exposed, molten rock. Phosphorus is a nonmetal, solid at room temperature. And Anakin wasn't a chemist. It is quite possible that he would have considered say molten cesium to be lava because it looks like lava, even though technically it is an alkali metal.
    Not to mention that since this is occuring on another planet in another galaxy, the molten material might not even exist on earth.
    The relevant point I intended to make (and should have made without getting into technicalities) was that the temperature of the molten material could be low enough to allow his survival.

3. Crystena77

Crystena77 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 1999
    Oh my goodness- Scruff I haven't seen you in a while!:D I've been neglecting this forum. I need to get back to it.

Molten pit, smolten pit. When you fall into a molten pit- YOU DON'T LIVE!!!! :p

4. Scruff

Scruff Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 1999
    Well, mercury is a metal and it is a liquid at comfortable room temperature. I suppose one could say that liquid mercury is "molten." But, it wouldn't do much damage to human tissue.
    Chrytenna77, I've been lurking (and posting) the Ep2 and 3 forum quite a bit lately.

5. Vergere

Vergere Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 19, 2000
    well mercury is poisonus if someone is exposed to it excessively. it seeps into your skin through pores(im pretty sure). my grandfather had a lot of problems with it.

6. Miriamidala

Miriamidala Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 3, 2000
    Okay, this lava thing is very interesting to me. I personally think that Lucas will go with the lava idea. Even if it weren't possible to live, it wouldn't be beyond movies to "fake it". Anyone see that bomber of a movie where the lava is coming down the subway tunnel and a guy is standing there and the lava completely consumes his body? Just basically vaporizing him? That is not realistic. Look at the famous volcano incidents in history. I just got back from Italy, where we saw Pompeii. You know, the city that was completely covered by lava from Mount Vesuvius? The poeple there were enveloped by lava, but their bodies were not vaporized. They were covered with the lava and it hardened, suffocating them. But their bodies remained intact, and "mummies" were made. Their bodies eventually deteriorated, over the years, as bodies tend to do, but they would have survived if they were alive with the technology we have, or at least some of them would if rescued in time. Also, there was this volcanologist a few years back that was drenched with lava and was standing right next to the rim of the volcano. He lived and didn't even have to have any limbs amputated.

The lava thing is completely feasible. It would explain his loss of limbs. They wouldn't have to have been vaporized, or even partially consumed. They could just be badly burned and have to be amputated because the nerves were deadened by the heat and the open wounds would be prone to severe infection, which would end up with them also being amputated. Perhaps Anakin had lost an arm before the lava incident, I don't know. But nevertheless, he would be able to pull himself out with Obi-Wan's help. His legs would probably be more badly burned because they would probably be the last thing out of the pit. Now I don't know if Anakin could pull himself out very well at all. He would be in excruciating pain, enough to make him pass out, but I guess the Force sensitivity and powers would make him able to stand it. Also, he would be still burning, which makes me think that Obi-Wan either used the force to pull him out, or aided Anakin in using the force, or Obi-Wan moved something with the force that made it possible for Anakin to pull himself out with. Anakin would also be having a very very hard time breathing. Your blood vessels in your lungs can easily be destroyed by inhaling steaming gas, especially gas that comes out of lava. If the blood vessels burst, as would be the usual symptom, then Anakin would be able to breathe for at most 5 to 10 minutes before losing lung capacity. Of course, his breathing time may have been augmented by the force. He would need a breathing apparatus if his original lungs were salvageable, otherwise he would need completely artificial lungs, which is also a possibility, ocnsidering the technological development of the Star Wars eras.

Also, depending on the location of the lava pit, the lava would be different temperatures. For example, lava on the very surface of the earth has a hard time remaining liquid for long. It begins to solidify as the temperature drops. If Anakin fell into surface lava, that is, lava exposed to air, it would not be nearly as devastating as if he were to fall into a pit of lava close to the core of a planet, or lava located deep in the crater of a volcano (think of "Joe Versus the Volcano" type thing).

Also, if you want to be very geological, you can talk about the type of rock that the lava is composed of. Granite can be melted into a lava that is of a different temperature than basalt or other minerals. Many types of rock can go through the stages of metamorphism. All of the different rocks and minerals have a different melting point.

So, as you can see, there are a lot of ways that Lucas can get around the initial shock and confusion of "Molten Lava". And none of them would require much of a suspension of belief if you think about the facts. Who knows, Lucas might be looking at these forums and getting ideas from fans who THINK that they are talking about ideas Lucas already has. Also, anything that we m

7. futureman

futureman Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 18, 2000
    sorry Mate, but in Pompei, they were covered with ASH not Lava

8. Miriamidala

Aug 3, 2000
    They were covered by lava. That is what hardened and made the casts of their bodies. Ash does not harden. Ash is just like dust.

9. futureman

Aug 18, 2000
    i just found this on the net:

Volcanologists now use the term "plinian" to refer to sustained explosive eruptions which generate high-altitude eruption columns and blanket large areas with ash. It is estimated that at times during the eruption the column of ash was 20 miles (32 km) tall. About 1 cubic mile (4 cubic kilometers) of ash was erupted in about 19 hours

10. Miriamidala

Aug 3, 2000
    Sure, that is true, but nevertheless, the lava flowed over the bodies. And I am not going to argue about this, this topic is not to argue whether Pompeii was covered with ash.

11. futureman

Aug 18, 2000
    granted some were killed by Lava, but the mummified remains are from compressed ash, by the way i agree that GL will probably use lava, it doesnt matter how real it is anyway...this is Sci Fi for crying out loud

12. Miriamidala

Aug 3, 2000
    When I was there I saw some of the mummified casts. Some of the people were frozen in positions where they were writhing in pain. That is from the fact that they were covered with hot lava. Yes, they died from suffocation, but regardless, the lava did not vaporize their bodies, or even burn much of them.

13. tenorjedi

tenorjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2000
    If you ever drop your keys in a river of molten lava, let em go, cause man.... they're gone

14. Miriamidala

Aug 3, 2000
    Here is some factual information on lava and the like.

-TEMPERATURE OF HOTTEST LAVA
    The temperature of basalt, which is the hottest type of lava, is usually between 1140 and 1170 degrees C when it is erupted. Dacite, the type of lava that forms the lava domes at volcanoes like Mt. St. Helens and Pinatubo, is usually around 800-900 degrees C
    This information accompanies my earlier post on different types of lava and their temperatures.

-DEFINITIONS OF "MOLTEN" AND OF "LAVA"
    Main Entry: mol.ten
    Pronunciation: 'mOl-t[^&]n
    Function: adjective
    Etymology: Middle English, from past participle of melten to melt
    Date: 14th century
    1 obsolete : made by melting and casting
    2 : fused or liquefied by heat : MELTED
    3 : having warmth or brilliance : GLOWING

Main Entry: la.va
    Pronunciation: 'lä-v&, 'la-
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Italian, ultimately from Latin labes fall; akin to Latin labi to slide
    Date: 1759
    : molten rock that issues from a volcano or from a fissure in the earth's surface; also : such rock that has cooled and hardened
    - la.va.like /-"lIk/ adjective

-Here is some info on something I hadn't thought of until I saw this. Anakin could be wearing some kind of material that is between partially and totally heat resistant. See below on heat resistant clothing.

Fyrepel's 500 and 505 Series Approach Suits are designed for personnel engaged in maintenance, repair and operational tasks in areas of low ambient, high radiant heat. These superior protective approach suits are available with three outer surface material choices; Aluminized Glass, Aluminized Nomex, or Aluminized Rayon. An additional moisture / steam barrier lining protects in areas where exposure to hot liquids, steam, or hot vapor is a possibility.
    Heat Tolerances

Short duration entry into oven or other areas of high heat up to 200°F (93°C) ambient temperature.
    Exposure to radiant heat up to 2000°F (1093°C).

-According to this information, we currently have clothing that withstands temperatures of almost 1100°C, which would almost withstand the temperature of the hottest lava on Earth. Of course, being actually IN the lava would be different than being near it, but it would still provide temporary protection. If Anakin was wearing material even close to this, he probably could have been alright for a few minutes. And of course, the material on the extremities would burn away first, which would account for the loss of limbs, but not the whole body. Lucas has already made it clear in TPM that they have material that is blaster-resistant, so he could easily say that the Jedi have material that is heat-resistant. This could explain why Anakin did not die in the lava.

15. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Well, maybe the "molten pit" isn't a a volcano. If you read it carefully, it sounds like Anakin took a bad fall into a barrel of kerosene on fire or something. (Fiery pool)

16. tenorjedi

tenorjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2000
    I wonder if the pit is more like what the Emperor falls in, in ROTJ. Not sure how it would work but it would be interesting

17. Cal-gon

Cal-gon Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 12, 2000

I wrote this in another thread but I think it goes here as well...

<< I thought some more on a climatic confrontation, bear in mind I don't Fan-fic
    or script write or anything like this, because I don't think I have enough GL Universe knowledge, but here goes...

Palpy for some reason or another is away while the senate is in prolonged recess, I think being SC he has the
    power to do this. He actually heads off to whatever planet the cloning is being done on. I will take a stab at this
    being the planet where the Sith Temple is located, I also think that this planet is a close aproximation to Hell,
    being that it has active Volcanoes, Lava pits, Dangerous and Dramatic cliffs on which to have a battle.
    There that's the setup, now along come the Jedi: Yoda, Mace, Obi, and Anakin. Yup... I think that the council
    having realised Palpy is Sidy, they would send at least four to tackle him and any possible apprentice/clone
    underlings.

Palpy and the Jedi have the usual 2-3minutes of taunts, and verbal shots at each other before actually getting
    down to the business of battle. Yet while he is still a padawan, Anakin is by far the most vunerable to Palpy
    taunts and loses his focus. Lashing out in anger he tries to strike Palpy down... but is blocked by Mace and Obi,
    who plead with him not to use the Force in anger. While they are talking verbally Palpy talks to him mentally.
    Anakin is torn, unsure of him self and of his years of devotion to the Jedi code. Thinking (mistakenly) that
    Anakin has fought off his anger, the attention of the Jedi returns to Palpy.
    Yoda at this time becomes more outspoken in his discussions with Palpy and only succeeds in getting Palpy
    cackles... At that moment, Anakin's inner struggle is over, and that which eventually becomes Darth Vader
    becomes the dominate part of his psyche. Activating his lightsabre in an act that would totally catch the Jedi off
    guard, he strikes down Mace-Windu. As Yoda shakes his head sadly, Obi sadly, yet determined suares off
    against Anakin hoping to some how save him...or stop him.
    Palpy uses this distraction to begin a Force battle against Yoda, it's glorious... Objects are lifted thrown, and
    blocked by other objects, Palpy uses the lightning, Yoda staggers but retaliates with force control of the
    elements...Palpy enraged that he cannot easliy defeat Yoda 1 on 1 CALLS FOR ANAKIN/VADER in an attempt to
    truly imbed him in the darkside. Anakin can't as he is busy with Obi... The 2 battles head of in separate
    directions: A vs. O outside toward " acliff overseeing a pool of molten lava", Yoda and Palpy toward the cloning
    vats. Anakin (using anger and very little of the control that Obi-wan effortlessly has) almost defeats Obi-wan,
    but doesn't. Obi-wan pleads with him to think of Padme and his soon to be born son... Anakin pauses, giving
    Obi-wan breathing room, and has one more moment internal conflict. Obi-wan hoping against hope that his
    friend will return continues to talk with Anakin, but again the voice of Palpy shuts him out in Anakin's head.
    Anakin resumes the fight lashing out, Obi-wan blocks but is forced closer to the edge of the cliff. Realising that
    he cannot defeat Obi-wan on an even terms basis, Anakin completes his walk toward the darkside and attempts
    the force choke. Obi staggers and almost passes out. But Anakin is still unfocused and can't maintain the choke,
    so he charges at Obi-wan in an attempt to run him through. Obi though dazed manages to flip over Anakin who
    teeters on the brink. Obi turns and again trys to help his old ally, reaching out to keep him from falling...an
    instant too late.
    Meanwhile Palpy and Yoda are still at it using many abilities that only CGI can truly describe. However both feel
    the disturbance of Obi's grief over Anakin's apperent demise. Yoda uses an incredible force light flash and
    retreats to

18. HydroSpammer2

HydroSpammer2 Jedi Youngling

Aug 25, 2000
    YTAP, Shar Kida, Crystena77, I've been away for a while and the old-school people are still at it...
    where's C-Creepio? Anyway, i think Vader got hit with a Balf paddle by Kittster, who we all know is Jango Fett's long lost son, Boba.

19. Crystena77

Jun 15, 1999
    Nirvana mentioned in another thread that Vader looks like he had been exposed to a nuclear blast and not lava.

For some reason, I like playing around with that idea - I'm just trying to make it work with the lava idea...

20. blaster_bolts

blaster_bolts Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 12, 2000
    you're dumn, Chrystena77!
    You really need todo research before posting!

21. 3863827

3863827 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 21, 2000
    GET OVER IT!

Who knows? Maybe he doesn't fall all of the way in, maybe it's just his foot that gets burned, maybe acidic fumes melt his skin off...DO I even have to mention ALL of the OTHER things that happen in Star Wars movies that modern day technology cannot do?

We dont: Have interstellar space travel
    Have light Sabres
    Have sentient Droids

And I could go on and on and on, and most of all, we DONT know to the extent that this supposedly happens even if it does....so get over it.

22. UCLAJediKnight

UCLAJediKnight Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 23, 2000
    ummmm hello but vader will not fall in lava....

he will be beaten and badly injured by obiwon in their battle.. "when i left you i was the learner, now i am the master." so we know that no where in the prequels will anakin be more powerful than obiwan... obiwan easily beat anakin.. he will try to convince anakain once last time to come to light.. anakin will refuse.. obiwon will not be able to kill his aprentice.. and so vader will be born and need his suit.

23. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    blaster_bolts, you're obviously a child so I'm not going to tear you a new one. You should know however that what you posted is called flaming and you could be banned for it right now. I suggest you do not do it again.

24. Crystena77

Jun 15, 1999
    I just got called "dumn" by a 13 year old. LOL! :D

First off, flames aren't acceptable.

Second- this whole thread was started as a joke of sorts. Some people took it seriously, some didn't.

Lighten up. Jeez. Why do you take things so seriously?

25. rorywk

rorywk Jedi Youngling

Aug 2, 2000
    Lord, but people are getting' worked up over this!

IMHO, that lava will happen for two reasons:

a)because it was written in the original screenplay/novelizaations the GL wrote and
    b) because it is definitely possible to happen. Not only have people lived (in real life) through contact with lava, but if Darth Vader can block blaster bolts with his hand, then he should have no problem holding off some lava for a bit.

Do I think that he can go swimming in lava? No. But I do think that he will either be splashed with lava or be severely burned to the point of losing several limbs and severely damaging his lungs.

Everyone that is getting worked up over this, take a pill. To everyone that is remaining calm and being somewhat logical about it: I APPLAUD YOU! :)

Later

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.