main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

When you heard about TPM...

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by aPPmaSTer, Mar 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aPPmaSTer

aPPmaSTer Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2004
    I'm really interested to know how everyone felt when they first found out that there was going to be a new Star Wars movie before TPM came out.

For me, I went to a bookstore and I was looking through this magazine, when all of a sudden I found a picture of Liam Neeson holding a lightsaber alongside some other younger guy (who I later found out to be Obi-Wan). I couldn't believe my eyes, a new Star Wars movie?! Then I had this weird rush of all the good feelings I got when watching the OT, all at once...and it felt good :D

How did it make you feel? And how did u find out about it?

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Obladi_Oblada

Obladi_Oblada Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 18, 2005
    I found out with the THX version of the trilogy. Leonard Maltin mentioned something about prequels in one of the interviews and I didn't know what he was talking about. So I kind of sorta knew it was coming for a long time. It never really hit me like, "Wow! There's a new Star Wars coming!"

whostheBossk likes this.
  3. Genrader

Genrader Jedi Master star 3

Sep 12, 2003
    I had been into Star Wars for a couple of years and I somehow knew there was going to be a new one. I remember my dad and I looking on the Internet and finding out it was going to be called the Phantom Menace, I thought it was pretty cool.

4. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    My parents had to force me to go. I thought I was going to see Vader, and I was scared of him.

5. Jaina Byrd

Jaina Byrd Jedi Master star 4

Feb 21, 1999
    I read the Insider. :p

whostheBossk likes this.
  6. Obi-Wan's Apparition

Obi-Wan's Apparition Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 10, 2000
    I found out from Star Wars Galaxy Magazine #1, I think. :)

7. CBright7831

CBright7831 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2004
    The Lenoard Maltin interview on the tapes. Didn't really know what he was talking about. Then I was getting on AOL, and saw a picture of the Maul with his back to the camera fighting Qui Gon and Obi Wan. At the time, I didn't care much for Star Wars. It was only up until a few years ago that the fanboy inside of me came back out.

8. Darth_Howell_III

Darth_Howell_III Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2002

Same as you, App. I had no idea until I saw it in a magazine, ENTERTAINMENT, or something.

It all "felt different" to me. The photos did not look like the old Star Wars. I had to convince myself...

"This is the Star Wars, right? With George Lucas and everything? OK."

9. colivo

colivo Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 25, 2004
    I grew up loving the original trilogy and when they announced the prequels, for some reason I wasn't hyped. I definitely wanted to see it, but I was torn whether Lucas should make these.

Now after were almost finished the prequels, I'm glad he's made them. I know he has gotten buried by the critics, and some original trilogy fans don't like the prequels, I have grown to really like these films.

10. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    I was 9 when I found out, so my first thoughts were probably the message board equivelent of "OMG!!!11one NEW STAR WARS FILM YESSS COOL I <3 THOSE OTHER ONES w00t HAY GIES LET'S GO WATCH TEH NEW SW FILM YAY"

Or something like that.

11. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I was going to see I think the Rugrats movie (I was 9) I saw these weird aliens riding through the fog. I was thinking "This looks cool." I heard the familiar song start while the phrase "Every generation has a legend" appeared. I leaned forward in my seat thinking "It couldn't be...could it?" Then I saw the vast desert with a strange silver ship sitting in it. Then I saw "Every Journey has a first step." I'm meanwhile still smiling hugely. Then this strange city appeared. I then saw "Every Saga has a beginning" Then I heard the theme and thought "It's a new Star Wars!!!!!!! WOOOO HOOOOO" This was reinforced by seeing a Jedi Knight with a blue lightsaber. I then intently listened to their discussion of the Prophecy. I then heard "Anakin! Tell them to take off!" I thought "ANAKIN!?" Then with "Anakin Skywalker meet Obi-Wan Kenobi". I thought "Obi-Wan!!!" Yoda then appeared which made me smile even more. I then saw the Dual Bladed Lightsaber and with the little amount of EU I knew thought it was Exar Kun.

12. Matt-trooper

Matt-trooper Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 19, 2005
    I was nine when tpm came out. I remember hearing about it on an entertainment show and was I was so excited as I was alreasy a fan of the originals. I remember seeing trailers at the movies and all the merchandise appearing on the shelves.

13. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    In the early 90's I heard rumors that they were coming. Not sure of the source.......TV story maybe.

I heard they were going to use Alec Guinness and digitally make him look younger.

14. Plo_Koen

Plo_Koen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    I found out in 1980, when I discovered that "Star Wars" was actually episode 4.

:p

But my first taste of TPM was a magazine with pictures of the actors. I thought Sam Jackson was gonna play a bad guy.

15. Prequel_Dreamer

Prequel_Dreamer Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 28, 2004
    ^ I thought Jackson was gonna play Grando Calrissian. No kidding. Lando was the only black guy in the OT so I thought that Jack was gonna fill that role. Silly me.

I know that there would be prequels sometime in the late 80's. I attended a sci-fi convention and a publicist from LFL was there promoting Willow. During the Q&A some folks started asking about a future SW trilogy about the Clone Wars and the rep said that there weren't any definate plans to shoot the movies at the time and they may not even be about the CW if they were made. He was more interested in talking about the project Willow trilogy which did not come to pass.

I heard nothing about new Star Wars outside of the EU stuff until 1994 when Sci-Fi Universe magazine had an article on it but there was nothing definate until SW Insider announced it and I was pretty stoked but it was still 1995 and very early in the process. Once 97 rolled around and Liam Neeson was announced as Anakin Skywalker-my local paper messed that one up- and that shooting had commenced I was pretty damn excited.

The whole event that was the PT was just a great time and I'm sorry it's almost over.

whostheBossk likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.