When you start a new thread, ask yourself this question:

Discussion in 'Milwaukee, WI' started by BYOB_Kenobi, May 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    "Does this topic have to do with Star Wars specifically?"

If the answer is yes, then your thread should probably go in a specialized Star Wars forum, depending on which movie it's relevant to. If your topic is relevant to any of the five existing movies, than take it to Star Wars Miscellaneous.

Social threads are fine. Threads in which you share your experiences of seeing AOTC with your fellow Fan Force members are fine. Threads that deal specifically with Star Wars debates go in the Star Wars forums.

Now I need to go find some f'n Advil...
  2. CheddarJedi Jedi Knight

star 1
    If you were throwing a Super Bowl party, and some guests began to talk about the weather, would you ask them to move their conversation outside, so the whole neighborhood could participate? "I sorry, but this party is just for football discussions."

I have enjoyed discussing the movies in this intimate environment. Whereas I don't know the vast majority of the Milwookie Council members, it's difficult for me to join social threads. Frankly, I fear getting lost in the Star Wars Forums. This more intimate forum is one of the keys to the success of the Wisconsin Fan Force. It's a way to GET TO KNOW fellow fans from Wisconsin. Or are you not interested in new members?
  3. BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Actually, it's the other way around. You're at a Super Bowl party talking about the weather with a small group of friends. Someone else comes into the conversation talking about the Super Bowl. What I'm trying to do is direct that guy to the TV where the Super Bowl conversation is.
  4. Zepo Jedi Knight

It is my opinion, that if we start threads to talk about Star Wars stuff because we know the people on this particular sub-category (milwaukee's Milwookie Council), that should be fine.

I want to talk about various things, but with the people I know here n the area (and have met face to face). If we can't come together as a club and enjoy our own company, what's the point of having meetings or movie nights, or even our own sub-section of the JC council?

Please let me be clear: This is not an attempt to start an argument, simply to discuss why we can't have Milwaukee threads on topics even though they may exist elsewhere.

I hope this post isn't too controversial.

Please no more beatings!! ;)
  5. Zordok Jedi Padawan

Isn't it more like, you're at a Super Bowl party with all your friends, standing in a room with several conversations going on, when your host comes up to you and asks you to go have your conversation with people from California, New York, and London?
  6. TheWampas1138 Jedi Master

star 4
    I really don't understand the question at all, or rather, the reason it was put up here. There are going to be numerous topics that we want to discuss here, that are also being discussed in other places. I think there is a difference between there being a thread about reactions to Episode II on the Movies board and one here, and us having two threads about it. The first way isn't redudant, but the second way is. I'll be honest about this, I don't really care as much about the opinions of someone from Idaho who I have never met. But I have met many of the people here, so I know what they like and dislike about Star Wars and other topics. For instance, I know that Bishop and Sy liked GI Joe, so I know they're willing to accept a certain level of cheese-factor in their choices and still have a good time. I know that Zepo is analytical to a point that I will never be. While I don't give flaws as much importance as he does, I appreciate that he scrutinizes things to that degree because he's also more likely to find details of excellence. So I don't see why we can't come here and discuss an individual movie.

As for Master Treadlite's post about games, I think that was there so that he could find out if other people in the group were interested in gaming, find out their reactions were positive. Maybe he was hoping to eventually get together with people and play, or perhaps swap games or something of that nature.

I think there is a strong difference between us having redudant threads, and us talking about something that is also mentioned on some other board that most of us don't check out. I, for one, care more about the opinions of people I know than people I don't know. If this board is just reduced to "We can meet at X to do Y" and doesn't have things like "You know you're obsessed with Star Wars when..." or "The Star Wars quote game," both of which probably could go in JC Community, then I don't see much in the point in coming here because someone could just email me the meeting times. If these are the rules of FanForce, that we can't talk about certain things, then I suggest we find a different forum to discuss these things since we cannot meet every day to just chatter about anything and make jokes.

Dwayne (and Marcy)
  7. CheddarJedi Jedi Knight

star 1
    BYOB:

I don't know where you get your delusions, laserbrain. While I understand where you're coming from (you read the larger boards, are sick of seeing redundant topics in the Wisconsin forum, and want us to use the Jedi Council Forums to their full potential), you've missed my point entirely.

You're insisting that we leave the intimate party to discuss larger issues in larger forums.

What is wrong with chatting among a small group of friends about big topics? Why must I share my opinion with the whole world?
  8. Auraveda Jedi Master

star 4
    I have an idea that may solve this problem. Perhaps we should do things democraticly. Perhaps the group as a whole should decide what we want this forum to be, since it is our forum.

BYOB_Kenobi could post a new thread stating what the Force.net's guidelines are for the Fanforce Forums. Then we could debate about whether we wish to follow those or not.

Or, someone could post a poll asking what sorts of conversation should be allowed in the Milwookie Forum. Options could be something like a. FanForce business only, b. Mostly Fanforce (keep other stuff to a minimum) c. Anything Star Wars related, or d. anything, just no bad language, etc...

If the people who own the site have a problem with the collective decision of the Milwaukee Fan Force then we'll take it up with them.
    ---------------

Edit
    I mean no offense to our esteemed city rep. He is doing the best he can at enforcing the rules that are there now. I just think that the group as a whole doesn't seem to like the rules as they are. They do not seem to serve our group dynamic well.

Rather than let this situation continue and let tensions rise we should all agree on what the rules should be, and if they should be changed.
  9. TheWampas1138 Jedi Master

star 4
    I agree Dawn. I think that is simply a marvelous idea.

Marcy and Dwayne
  10. Mauler_II Jedi Knight

star 3
    Good idea - I second the motion!
  11. jedisister Jedi Master

star 3
    I agree, we need to also know what the specific rules are to our forum. As mentioned elsewhere, other city forums that have fanforces(big ones too)have similiar topics to that which is in the main JC and they are allowed, then we need to figure out what we want for our forum and if its ok. I also agree, I spend most of my time here because I have had the priviledge to get to know some of you and value your opinions more so than a stranger's. Its also easier to discuss when you are more one on one or two instead of masses of people getting their two cents in b4 you even have a chance to say your piece. Well, thats my thoughts on the matter anyway.
  12. TheWampas1138 Jedi Master

star 4
    I have a suggestion that might make Tom's life easier, and ours as well. Why don't we create specific threads to handle certain topics. For instance, the "Solo versus Kirk" and the "Monster Sick..." think could be posted in something like "What's New on the Web." It would list links that people find, plus provide a place to discuss those links. Similarly, we could have a Gaming thread. It would work like the "Collectors Guild" topic. Certain games, if important enough (like Outcast, or Galaxies) might warrant new threads, but mostly the Gaming thread would handle the load of announcing new games, video game get togethers, etc. Obviously there could also be a thread for books, costuming, etc. If these threads tend to get towards the bottom of the boards, someone simply has to post "Up." I've seen this done on the collecting and gaming boards to keep topics near the top. We would create topics for new meetings, new discussions (such as the Balance of the Force, Episode III plot theories) or anything else of that nature. If a thread is redundant, like there is a thread for "Reactions to AotC" and someone else creates "How do you feel about AotC" the second thread could be locked after a link to the original is added. This would be done if the threads were obviously parallel.

Also, I think we should talk openly about banning people, even if it's only for a day. I personally think everyone deserves a warning. If they are swearing up a storm, leave them the option to edit their message. I think only things that are of an offensive or disruptive nature should require a banning. Differences of opinions shouldn't. I believe in the old saying, "I don't agree with what you say, but I'll defend your right to say it." I didn't see what Yavinmoon posted, but from what I've heard, it was probably the right decision to remove that person. However I don't think Master Treadlite did much to warrant even a temporary removal.

I think in time, we'll get into a groove where things flow better. New people will come on board and become aware of the rules. Maybe we should find people willing to help out new members. This would ease some of Dan-Que's problems, and it would help new people get used to things and feel welcome. We had positions on the mush like that, and it really helped. Plus it will perhaps cut down on unnecessary posts.

The main rule, I think though, should be that people should relax and feel welcome to speak.

Dwayne
  13. Outlander_ Jedi Knight

star 2
    Is there a post or topic limit on these boards?
  14. Bujo Jedi Knight

star 1
    I have not been posting lately due to the issues such as this. I will not pretend to know verbatim the rules of this forum. However, I know this forum has already served a purpose of mine: chatting with Star Wars fans. I would not know any of you except had it not been for this forum. Granted, I have been able to attend one function and one only, but for the brief stint I was able to rub shoulders with fellow Wisconsin fans I enjoyed myself, and it was due to the meeting place that is this forum. This forum is getting as political as the Star Wars movies themselves! Unless I've missed somebody rubbing somebody the wrong way, let's let be what has already grown to more than the seven people or so I remember first here only about four months ago. There, my two cents have been cashed in.
  15. Auraveda Jedi Master

star 4
  16. TheWampas1138 Jedi Master

star 4
    Beating dead horses isn't very productive...

..and it's also kinda weird.

Marcy
  17. tello999 Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'm a newbie here, and like a few others stated, I spend most of my time in the Milwookie sections. They get updated enough for me - having to go to bigger area boards for some topics would cause me to get headaches...

That's all I needed to say...

If anyone's listening, of course :)
  18. Bujo Jedi Knight

star 1
    My bad . . .

I had not seen the "updated" post. I was fuming based on what I had read first.
  19. Mace_Master Jedi Knight

BYOB-Kenobi

It seems that duplicate threads are a pet peave of yours.

As someone who has gotten his hand slapped twice, I must mention that, while I'm new to message boards, it seems odd to me that duplicate threads are such a big concern.

Is there a "shortage" of threads, such that if a thread that existed on the main board is duplicated on our board, that's one less thread we are allowed to start? Or is their some expense that is incurred or some fine we are accessed if we start a thread that already exists on another board?

I think it's odd that I was scolded for not searching through other message boards to see if the topic I want to post about exists in some other forum already. Is there a specific reason why duplicate posts are such a problem that we have to start a thread to debate it?

If a thread is a duplicate from another board, and it doesn't interest you, then don't read it. That seems like a simple enough solution to me.

Nobody is twisting anybody's arm to read every post in the Milwaukee board. I read the ones that interest me, respond to some if I think I can add something, and move on.

I guess I'm just sick of getting nasty replies for a posting that turns out to be a duplicate from another board. I joined to Milwookie fan club to have fun with other star wars fans, not to debate trivial things like duplicate posts.

Please do not take this personally. I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just trying to figure out what the source of the problem here is.
  20. Auraveda Jedi Master

star 4
    As stated before, the matter has been resolved. Look Here

It was a simple misunderstanding.
  21. Mauler_II Jedi Knight

star 3
    We've already resolved the whole "posting threads on other boards" thing.

I think the only issue with dup threads within the same forum is that it becomes difficult to know where to post messages reagarding a topic. For example, for a while we had 2 seperate threads regarding the digital screening signup - it just got confusing.

Also, every time a new thread is posted an older one gets bumped off the main screen. Usually not a big deal though.
  22. Mace_Master Jedi Knight

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.