main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

When you watch the OT do you see Anakin behind the Mask?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by BobaFrank, Sep 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    All the years before the PT even when I saw ESB and ROTJ I still saw a mindless robot behind the mask. Now that I've seen the PT I can see Anakin's impatience and lust for power when I see Vader. Especially in ANH and ESB. Vader is more human to me now than machine or robot.

I only bring this up because I've been watching the SAGA from beginning to end and can really connect the two trilogies. When I watch the OT, I really see Anakin behind the mask instead of wondering if there is a man behind the mask.

Sorry, if this has been discussed or makes absolutely no sense. :D

2. BobaFett22

BobaFett22 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 21, 2005
    Excellent thread! I am in the process of watching the limited edition OT right now. Finished ANH, about to start TESB. I've seen each one countless times and since the PT came out I never thought of that. I will watch for this over TESB and ROTJ. I think I see your point with ANH. He was very angry, snappy and impatient. All Anakin traits...I will keep watching to see if I see more of that. Even though I've seen each countless times, I have to pay close attention to Vader's mannerisms and emotions. BTW the limited edition, theatrical release versions of OT are a fun to watch. There are a lot of subtle things that were changed in updated versions!

3. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    No, I really don't. Sometimes I can see DV in Anakin, but hardly ever the other way around.

Anakin was just not a very interesting or distinctive character, DV was.

4. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    Hayden as Anakin is the LAST thing I think of when I think of Darth Vader. Completely miscast. Much too young in ROTS.

5. __Vader__

__Vader__ Jedi Master star 3

May 23, 2005
    I don't really think about who is inside the suit at all. Because of his mystery and literally rock hard shell, all I look at is his exterior because that is all that there really is of him

6. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I don't. I see the icon of evil that is the Original Darth Vader.

7. Darth_Falcon

Darth_Falcon Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 11, 2002
    I have to say that watching them in all order, specifically the with the release of ROTS, my views on Vader have changed. Before the PT, he was just the pinacle villian who turned out to have this deeper emotional side later in the trilogy. Now I can't help but see a human in that suit. I don't really see Anakin but I do see someone who is struggling with his new and old identities. In short, for me he's no longer "more machine than man" but more man than machine.

8. Flames

Flames Jedi Master star 2

Apr 18, 2006
    I'm with you, BobaFrank. Since I watched the whole saga in one day, I do truly see Anakin behind the mask. Darth Vader is no longer an icon of evil, but a part of Anakin's journey. He also seems more unstable and a bit psychotic, which makes him more dangerous than before in my eyes.

Darth Vader - he's a wreck
    /Flames

9. VyndAcharon

VyndAcharon Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2006
    Generally, no. The design of the Vader mask doesn't invite one to speculate about what's underneath it; the mask is both a face and an opaque surface. It's probably the most successful persona since Bill Kane sketched a cowl and pointy ears on a millionaire playboy.

But when I do see the face beneath the mask, it looks like Sebastian Shaw, the actor who originated the "human" form of the character. The sadness, tinged with regret and hope, and joy that he showed in his brief scenes imbued Anakin with a great emotional depth. Imagining him passively whispering orders to be relayed in the booming Vader-voice is an interesting exercise.

10. bebbie

bebbie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 2002
    Definitely.

The PT added a whole new emotional layer to the OT for me.

11. dude4c

dude4c Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 3, 2003
    QFT, for me too. the PT also made yoda and obiwans deaths in the OT more tragic.

12. Darth_BADLungs_Vader

Darth_BADLungs_Vader Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2006
    Cool thread at last:) I see a burned and fallen jedi who has to suffer through life trapped inside a monster. I think of Hayden as the person he used to be.

13. Darth_Drachonus

Darth_Drachonus Jedi Master star 3

Oct 4, 2005

And that's an opinion you're entitled to. However to I and several thousand, if not million other people Hayden Christensen is Anakin Skywalker, and always will be. Now, to answer the question: Yes I see Anakin behind the mask, but I don't see him as I saw him when he was Darth Vader without the suit. I see a pale Anakin, one with those hateful eyes. Anakin Skywalker was a good man.

14. Grand_Moff_Jawa

May 31, 2001

I don't think you needed to quote me to make your point...

Millions believe Anakin is Vader? o_O

There are disagreements on this in this board of hundreds. [face_laugh]

15. Darth_Drachonus

Darth_Drachonus Jedi Master star 3

Oct 4, 2005
    Perhaps not, but I like a good debate. While they're disagreements by hundreds on these boards, that's a scant few. We don't even equate a drop in the bucket of the people that've watched the prequels. And in general, most people accept what they see on the screen. For me, Hayden as Anakin makes sense. Not to mention the fact that it *is* on film, atleast in our lifetimes it will not be changed. Therefore, for us, Hayden Christensen is Anakin Skywalker. My millions comment was simply a disproportioned guesstimation of the world at large that has seen the films. and I'd say 7/10 people agree with my assessment. And while there's those three that do not, I applaud them. They go against the norm, and that's great. It makes the world go 'round

16. Grand_Moff_Jawa

May 31, 2001
    Okie dokie. [face_peace]

17. DarthButt

DarthButt Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2003
    QFT.

Oh and I guess this is where I have to make the "this is not a Hayden/Shaw debate thread" warning for this thread. Do we have to make one in every single thread about Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker?

18. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Vader has always been my favourite character, and I embrace the prequels because it adds a hell of a lot of depth to him. Regardless of wether Christensen executed the role perfectly or not, it's the character that's important, not the performance. Star Wars has never been about the performance.

19. Grand_Moff_Jawa

May 31, 2001
    I'm curious. What HAS Star Wars been about then? :confused:

I've seen some mighty excellent performances, especially from Vader (James Earl Jones).

20. princessleia911

princessleia911 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2005
    I see Hayden behind the mask but not Anakin. Just as someone has said above, Anakin was good, I see Dark Side Anakin, the one who Obi-Wan left burning on the shores of Mustafar with those glowing Sith eyes, bald head, pale, disfigured skin and those looks of pure hatred at anyone who crossed him. From a certain point of view, Yoda was right. Anakin Skywalker was kind of gone, consumed by Vader. He let Vader take over and he is still the same person but not. It happens all the time in real life. People change.

21. dude4c

Dec 3, 2003
    Star Wars is about the struggle of good vs. evil. personal and galactic. it's not that hard. the performances by the actors are secondary. the story unfolds with each episode.

22. Grand_Moff_Jawa

May 31, 2001
    But how does a story unfold without actors?

23. DarknessofDeath

DarknessofDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 23, 2006
    only a few who were close to ankakin knew he was vader. obi, palps, yoda. so not every billion ppl in the galaxy knew but when the Empire came into power, I'm sure a few imperials knew who Vader was.

24. dude4c

Dec 3, 2003
    i didn't imply there are no actors. i meant that the actors are s-e-c-o-n-d-a-r-y to the story.
    where's my crayon when i need it.

25. Grand_Moff_Jawa

May 31, 2001
    I didn't mean to imply there were no actors. My questions was, how can a story unfold without the aid of the actors? Who tells the story? The effects?

I can't agree that the acting is secondary in ANY movie.

Vader had the hindrance of not being able to emote with his facial expressions, and yet he still did a great job at getting his points across. Thanks in no small part to James Earl Jones!

That being said, I still don't see Hayden behind the mask when I see Vader. We didn't see enough of Anakin as Vader pre-suited for him to take on the bad countenance that was Darth Vader from the OT. That's just my opinion, of course.

Hope you find your crayons. [face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.