"Where Allen Iverson will end up" speculation?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by New_York_Jedi, Dec 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EBSaints Force Ghost

star 6
    it won't be the Bobcats
  2. DarthIntegral Chosen One

star 7
    The Clippers make the most sense, and I think we shouldn't rule out a team like the Suns. As much as I'd love to see it go down with the Cavs, I just can't dream up a scenario where that happens.
  3. Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost

star 7
    We don't want him here... at least I don't. :p
  4. New_York_Jedi Force Ghost

star 6
    Larry Hughes, Ira Newble's expiring contract, and a first round pick? Throw in Shannon Brown? That fits the requirements.
  5. DarthIntegral Chosen One

star 7
    I suppose that makes sense ... just doesn't seem like enough ... not for a talent like Iverson. But if that could happen ...
  6. New_York_Jedi Force Ghost

star 6
    I know it's not enough. I was just throwing out a possibility. Maybe throw in Varejeo? He shows some promise.

Yeah, I don't really see it going down either, but it's interesting to speculate about.
  7. DarthIntegral Chosen One

star 7
    I imagine any trade for a talent like AI would start with Varejeo. He's the Cav's best young tradeable talent.

I still see the Clippers as the most likely and most logical destination, although reports are starting to surface that Golden State is nearing a deal.
  8. PRENNTACULAR VIP

star 6
    I don't think he should end up anywhere.

His talent isn't worth what it will take to get him away from Philly.
  9. Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost

star 7
  10. DarthIntegral Chosen One

star 7
    PRENN ... what are you smoking? Are we talking about the same Iverson here?

Read the link AJ provided. It's a great read. AI is still a great player, and if motivated to hurt the Sixers for trading him, will blow up like never before.
  11. Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I haven't a clue as to where he'll end up; my only claim to fame in regards to Iverson is that he and I went to G'town at the same time (we both entered in 1994; I graduated, he didn't). I played Mortal Kombat 2 against him in the Leavey Center once. :D
  12. New_York_Jedi Force Ghost

star 6
    Yeah, in reality, the Sixers are the ones losing value when they trade him. There is no way they get something equal back, barring a draft pick that turns into a superstar, which is exceedingly unlikely, since most teams will be smart enough to make it a conditional pick.

13. Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost

star 7
    who won?
  14. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    Thats a good article, and I agree: Iverson's definitely still one of the greats out there, and there is no way Philly will get actual value for him. Somebody's gonna get a deal.

Still, if you're looking long term, Iverson's not the player you want, but for the short term (this year, next year, maybe the year after), he's great. Period.
  15. DarthIntegral Chosen One

star 7
    If you can get Iverson and win a championship with him, who really cares about long term?

That's why I can't believe teams in the East aren't trying to put together good packages for him. You put him together with another superstar in the east, and you can win the east, it shouldn't be that hard. You get to the finals with Iverson and another star player, and the calls will go your way, and you have a real chance to win a title.

Go for broke.
  16. Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost

star 7
    Kobe needs to take notes from AI.

28.1 points per game and 6.1 assists per game. I know AI's a PG and Kobe's a SG, but let's face facts, AI plays like a SG and he still gets 6.1 assists a game.
  17. Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus

star 6
    He did. He played Jax and I played Kabal. I got stomped.
  18. PRENNTACULAR VIP

star 6
    Call me daft, but I just don't think he's that good.

Yea, he puts up stats, but he isn't helping the Sixers.

Yea, it would work, putting him with another Super Star, but you almost have to give up a Super Star to get him.

To me, if you have the package that is able to get Iverson, you're better off keeping that package and building a better team.
  19. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7

To me, if you have the package that is able to get Iverson, you're better off keeping that package and building a better team.

Again, its the difference between having a championship team now (and selling lots of tickets now) or contending more later.
  20. Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost

star 7
    isn't helping the sixers?

In the 5 seasons before AI, the sixers had a .312 winning percentage.

Since he's been there(With no team what so ever around him) they've had a .496 winning percentage. And it's only below .500 due to his first couple years in the league when he was still green. He's taken a team with no talent to the playoffs 6 times and to the finals once.

but you're right, he's not helping them in any way shape or form...
  21. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    I guess you could make the argument that he isn't helping them at this moment, sitting out until a trade is done...

but other than that, I agree with A_J here.
  22. PRENNTACULAR VIP

star 6
    I'm just not a big fan.

He didn't take them to the playoffs by himself. He's not that good. He's had talent around him when the Sixers have been winning. Not great talent, but there has been some talent there.

He just doesn't seem worth it to me...
  23. DarthIntegral Chosen One

star 7
    He's worth trading for just for the press conferences.

Practice
  24. PRENNTACULAR VIP

star 6
    We talkin 'bout practice...?
  25. New_York_Jedi Force Ghost

star 6
    Actually, if you look at just the games where he's played, the sixers have a .509 winning percentage. So it's even better than what you state.

And, Prenn, really? Who has he had with him? Mutumbo in '01...and who else?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.