"Where Allen Iverson will end up" speculation?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by New_York_Jedi, Dec 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIntegral Force Ghost

star 7
    To say that Iverson had nobody along side him on the court is to do wrong by Larry Brown. Brown's coaching is worth at least mentioning, as he was able to get more out of the nobodies alongside Iverson than anyone else.
  2. PRENNTACULAR VIP

star 6
    All I'm saying is that for a single man, to take a team to the NBA finals, with NO talent, would be really, really hard. And that player would have to be really, really, really good. Somehow, those playoff teams of his scored more than the 30 something points a game he was contributing...
  3. Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost

star 7
    Yeah I just looked up the teams overall W/L and didn't feel like looking into it further than that :p

and PRENN, KG took plenty of minnesota teams with no talent to the playoffs... only once did he have a good team around him and they went to the western conference finals.
  4. PRENNTACULAR VIP

star 6
    But there was some talent on all of those teams.

For a team to be competative in the NBA, they need to be scoring north of 80 points a game (with some exceptions). and neither Garnett or Iverson are averaging that much.
  5. Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost

star 7
    are you being serious?

the grizzlies score 90+ points a game... but they have no one good.

by your logic, that shouldn't be possible. right?
  6. New_York_Jedi Force Ghost

star 6
    Oh yeah, I figured. They just happened to show it on Sportscenter so I decided to toss that out there. I didn't sit there and figure it out myself-- I'm not that big a loser. ;)
  7. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    All I'm saying is that for a single man, to take a team to the NBA finals, with NO talent, would be really, really hard. And that player would have to be really, really, really good. Somehow, those playoff teams of his scored more than the 30 something points a game he was contributing...

Have you looked at the East lately? It wouldn't take much.
  8. PRENNTACULAR VIP

star 6
    I don't get it, A_J. How can a team that scores +90 points a game, have NO good players.

I consider Atkins and Gasol solid players.

If they are scoring +90 points a game, they obviously have players who can score (otherwise, I fail to see how the team would score that much)

I'm not saying that how many points a game you score translates directly to how good of a team you are...

But I am saying that for a team to make it to the Championships in the NBA, they need a lot more than just one superstar.

9. New_York_Jedi Force Ghost

star 6
    Dwyane Wade bloody won the nba finals by himself, so its definitely possible for one guy to have that much of an effect.
  10. ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    I think Gasol is a great player, he'd shine on a better team.
  11. PRENNTACULAR VIP

star 6
    But he had talent around him.

I'm not saying it's not possible for a great player to take control of a game. Players have scored 100 points in game before...players have single handedly won games. I'm not disupting that.

I'm disputing that players can control seasons. There is no player out there good enough to get his team to the NBA finals single handedly. The NBA is just too competitive. He has to have other players that at least contribute something.
  12. heels1785 Jedi Draft and Streak for Colors Commissioner

Game Host
    star 6
    Gasol has been out with injury for all of this year, though. Injured at the World Basketball Championships, and they're still putting up points this year.

But, just by the way, he could be coming back soon:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2694613&campaign=rss&source=NBAHeadlines
  13. Juliet316 Streak for Colors Bonanza Winner

Game Winner
    star 7
    I wouldn't be surprised if some teams were re - looking at certain superstar players contracts just to make sure there's isn't a 'no trade' clause too them. Just so they can get Iverson
  14. DarthIntegral Force Ghost

star 7
    according to espn, Kobe Bryant is the only player in the NBA with a no-trade clause
  15. Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost

star 7
    Gasol hasn't played once this year and Atkins isn't a good player. He's a point guard playing 30 minutes a game and only dishing out 3.8 assists. tell me how that's good.
  16. DarthIntegral Force Ghost

star 7
    I think you are confusing what we are saying.

We're not saying that Iverson has been playing 1-on-5 basketball. At least i'm not. What I am saying is that his supporting cast at every position has been below-average. Not below average basketball players, because there are none of those in the NBA, but below average NBAers.
  17. Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost

star 7
    PRENN, in Iverson's and the Sixer's prime... the sixer's went to the eastern conference finals twice and the NBA finals once. In those three seasons, no player other than Iverson averaged more than 15 points per game.

15!

That's not a lot. I mean, the Suns have 5 guys averaged 16+ a night this season. and AI couldn't get ONE player in his prime years to score 15+

The highest PPG any of his teammates gave him was 13.5 by Matt Geiger in 1999. Other than that, no one even went over 13 PPG...

EDIT: and you can toss Miami into the AI sweepstakes now
  18. Master_Kast7 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I'm trying to figure out if that's even a good move for the Heat to make. I'm leaning towards no.

~Liar, lawyer, Mirror for ya, What's the difference? Kangaroo be stoned, He's guilty as the government~
  19. New_York_Jedi Force Ghost

star 6
    I'm trying to figure out how the Heat could concieve of a deal that would work...
  20. Master_Kast7 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    It's a terrible deal for Miami.

~Liar, lawyer, Mirror for ya, What's the difference? Kangaroo be stoned, He's guilty as the government~
  21. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    I can think of some deals Miami would love that involve bringing in AI... but unless its a 3(+) team deal, I don't think theres any way they get him.
  22. Juliet316 Streak for Colors Bonanza Winner

Game Winner
    star 7
    Yeah I knew about Kobe (I may not follow basketball too much, but I am aware of big name contracts), when I posted the last comment, but I could have sworn Shaq had a similar no - Trade clause?
  23. DarthIntegral Force Ghost

star 7
    Shaq's contract pretty much makes him untradeable. I suppose that's something of a no-trade clause. :p
  24. EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost

star 5

Wilt Chamberlain is probably the only player capable of such a thing. Back when he was scoring 50 points a game one year and 44 the next. He's also the only guy to score 100. No one else in the history of basketball is dominant enough to approach such a task of taking a mediocre or otherwise lousy team to the finals.
  25. New_York_Jedi Force Ghost

star 6
    Too bad he choked like none other in big games.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.