"Where Allen Iverson will end up" speculation?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by New_York_Jedi, Dec 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NM_Mandalorian Jedi Knight

star 3
    All I am going to say is you better not be talking about Wilt.

Back to the AI thing, I agree that Miami needs a three team trade to get him. I just don't know where he would be a good fit. Talent wise he works anywhere, but you have to think egos. I am a Lakers fan (born and raised) but Kobe and AI wouldn't work do to egos. Same with Artest in Sac which makes it good they dropped out. I guess it really comes down to which AI shows up when the trade is complete. They AI we have seen lately, ditching practice and really just not caring, or the AI that was motivated to take a lack luster team to the Finals. Only time will tell I guess.
  2. Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost

star 7
    once again... Allen Iverson took a crappy, crappy team to the finals.

SINGLE-HANDEDLY.
  3. ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    No one should argue Iverson's talent. However, he is getting old, and he is known to cause trouble if he isn't happy in his situation(as has been demonstrated in Philly, in the past). He has a very large contract, that to cover, is going to make any team that really wants him have to set up a multiple team deal. I think that's what's really shut down interest(at least open interest) from some of the larger teams. Depending on what teams are willing to get involved, and what players they are ready to give up, I'd imagine that draft picks will probably be factor.
  4. SLR Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Master Prenn, you have no idea what you are talking about. Allen Iverson has carried the Sixers over his tenure. He took mediocre teams (at best) deep into the playoffs several times and one team to the NBA finals, which gave the Lakers a run for their money (they won game one and kept all the other games real close until the end).

The Sixers squandered one of the greatest players of the post-MJ era by never building a quality team around him. Their drafting and trades during this period have been for the most part atrocious. They never went out a got him a quality offensive big man until they got a washed up Webber.

Iverson is a true warrior who wants to win more than anyone else. He plays his heart out and always gives his all during the game. This is why in a tough city like Philly Iverson has been loved. Up until the end of last season, he was the top athlete and most popular athlete in a football and hockey obsessed city. Only after last season and the emergence of Ryan Howard has Iverson fallen off as the most popular athlete in the city. Between 1998 and 2001, Iverson (along with Croce and Brown) made the Sixers the top team in the city, even ahead of the Eagles. This is no small feat, as only the Wilt Chamberlain teams in the sixties and the Dr. J teams of the 70's and 80's ever accomplished this feat.
  5. heels1785 Community & Prequel Trilogy Manager

Manager
    star 6
    SLR, I've got to agree with your assessment, especially of how Iverson plays, even back to his Georgetown days, I've enjoyed watching him every chance I've gotten. He will make any team he goes to substantially better, as long as that team allows him to be the centerpiece, which is why I don't think Miami would be a good move, at all.
  6. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Force Ghost

star 5
    Yeah I gotta agree with the consensus here, look at the past Sixers teams without A.I. They were average at best and especially during the Finals run A.I. put the team on his back and made it go. I think he'll end up in Indiana but I'd like to see us get something decent out of it cause this team needs to be dismantled and started over.
  7. New_York_Jedi Force Ghost

star 6
    I am talking about Wilt.
  8. Master_Kast7 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Then you obviously don't know what you're talking about.

~Liar, lawyer, Mirror for ya, What's the difference? Kangaroo be stoned, He's guilty as the government~
  9. New_York_Jedi Force Ghost

star 6
    Lets see, he failed to win the NCAA championship. He faced the Celtics 8 times in the finals or playoffs and made it past them once, and that one time was the season after Auerbach retired and Russel was getting used to being a headcoach/player. He lost in 1970 to the Knicks.
  10. Master_Kast7 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Failing to see the choking. The Celtics were the best team during that time span. Not the Lakers.

~Liar, lawyer, Mirror for ya, What's the difference? Kangaroo be stoned, He's guilty as the government~
  11. Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost

star 7
    The Patriots have had a better team than the Colts when they went on their superbowl tear... that didn't stop everyone from calling Peyton a choker.

Why is it different for Wilt?
  12. New_York_Jedi Force Ghost

star 6
    What about losing to the Knicks, and losing in College?
  13. NM_Mandalorian Jedi Knight

star 3
    Okay I realize we are getting way off track but come on. Wilt lead Kansas to championship games in '57 and '58. Yes they lost the NCAA championship to NC in '57 by one point in overtime. Wilt was still voted the tournament MVP, and NC was also the top ranked school in the nation at the time. Although he did only win two NBA rings, he still was rookie of the year, won 4 MVP honors, and was Finals MVP once. This is without mentioning all the records he holds. The man never choked, there were just TEAMS that were better than his TEAM. Basketball is a team sport. One man can do a lot, but cann't do it all. Hence the fact that AI has never won a title.
  14. JOHNNY-B Jedi Knight

star 2
    "Okay I realize we are getting way off track but come on. Wilt lead Kansas to championship games in '57 and '58. Yes they lost the NCAA championship to NC in '57 by one point in overtime. Wilt was still voted the tournament MVP, and NC was also the top ranked school in the nation at the time. Although he did only win two NBA rings, he still was rookie of the year, won 4 MVP honors, and was Finals MVP once. This is without mentioning all the records he holds. The man never choked, there were just TEAMS that were better than his TEAM. Basketball is a team sport. One man can do a lot, but cann't do it all. Hence the fact that AI has never won a title."

I'll second that... No matter how domnating a player is, he can only do so much. I've seen many great players carry there teams to the promise land, but fall short becuase they just didn't have a strong supporting cast to complement them. For Example: Dan Marino, Peyton Manning, Allen Iverson, Barry Bonds, Reggie Miller, Charles Berkley, Ernie Banks, Ted Williams, and the list goes on... All super-stars in there respective sports, but as good as they were: It was still not enough. Becuase there is no I In team -- you either win it together or you go home packing. Joe Montana is prime example: A lot of people believe that he is the greatest quaterback ever becuase he won 4 rings -- that is very miss leading. His team is one of the greatest teams in NFL history -- in truth people forget how domnating those 49er teams were, and tend to give a lot of the credit to Montana. He had teams that from top to bottom: were just awesome! Players like: Ronnie Lott, Eric Wright, Dwight Hicks, Carlton Williamson, Jerry Rice, and Roger Grag to name a few (a hellva supporting cast)... Joe Montana was not that great ah quaterback as what people make him out to be... He was more along the lines of a Troy Aikman, Steve Young, Jim Kelly...good quaterbacks, but far from being the greatest. 4 Super Bowl rings and 3 Super Bowl MVPS: An awesome feat, but one he could not have attained if it weren't for the guys that played around him. For me: the fact that he won 4 rings, does not make him the greatest -- that title be longs to his team (not him). Which elevates the feat of players like: Dan Marino, Allan Iverson, Barry Bonds, and Peyton Manning to a another level in itself (these were players that took there teams an carried them on their back by themselves -- with little if not any supporting cast). It's not winning a championship, but it's taking a team that no body thought had a chance, and giving them a slim but small chance to win. These are players that transcend the game, and showed that one player can make a differance in any circumstance: Big or small. These four names could be consider the greatest of all time, but becuase they didn't win the big one: There greatness is forgotten or over looked. Ask yourself this: would Joe Montana, Michael Jordan, Terry Bradshaw, and Kobe Byran have won all those championships had it not been for there strong supporting cast? I doubt it.

Back to the subject: It makes all the sense in the world for AI to come to Miami. He's accomplished just about everything a player can -- excecpt a Championship. If Miami can pull a deal for him: Than there is no doubt we would have to be the team to beat. D-Wade, AI, and Shaq would be the most dominating force in the NBA. Plus when push comes to shove and it comes down to crunch time: the heat will turn it on just as they did last year, and become force to be reckon with. It's just a matter of getting our key players healthy and playing well again. Will we get AI? Who knows...nobody thought we would end up with Shaq, but we did... So maybe Pat has alittle magic left in his tank and he'll work a deal for AI... Either way it's nice to know that will try an make a go at him.
  15. heels1785 Community & Prequel Trilogy Manager

Manager
    star 6
    ESPN's Marc Stein reports Iverson going to Nuggets for Andre Miller, Joe Smith and two picks.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2702501
  16. ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    If that's true, the Nuggets may be able to salvage their season, as long as A.I. starts very soon.

It does beg the question of whose team it will be, by the time Melo gets back, though.

Yeh drama!!!
  17. PRENNTACULAR VIP

star 6
    That's rather interesing...and bad news for us Lakers fans.

Iverson's a great player, no doubt, and an Iverson/Mello combination is one to be reckoned with, on the court.
  18. Yule-TideAngus Jedi Knight

star 1

Yep, they just broke the news on NFL Live.
  19. ObiWan506 Former Head Admin

star 7
    Indeed. It'll be interesting. When Anthony comes back the mood might be, "Who's Carmelo?".
  20. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    When Anthony comes back the mood might be, "Who's Carmelo?".

That would be funny. And great.

Two first round picks this year... depending on where they are in the round, that could be huge for Philly down the round. Does Philly still have their own 1st round pick too?
  21. CJS Jedi Knight

star 2
    Two first round picks could change the future of any franchise. However, when you have Billy King running the show as GM, no amount of first round picks is enough to save any team.

Billy King equals frozen turd on half court.
  22. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    It depends on where in the round they are, and if they still have their own (not sure if they do) then thats 3 first round picks in a draft expected to be pretty strong and deep. That could be enough anyways, despite the GM.
  23. NM_Mandalorian Jedi Knight

star 3
    I had heard that Philly stills has their own as well. That either gives them three first round picks in a great draft year or some good trading material to build with. As for Denver, watch out Spurs, Mavs, and Suns. I think we may have our West champs if the two play well together.
  24. Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost

star 7
    Denver should try and trade two or all of those draft picks to get the number one overall pick... it'd be worth it for Greg Oden.
  25. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    They may still have their own, and they may not.

The situation as I read about it (if I understand it and remember correctly now): Phily traded that pick away, but its still protected, so if its in the top 15, then they keep it and pay $1 million to someone else (Golden State, maybe? I forget) So as long as they don't go on a run and finish in the top 7 in the East, then they'll have 3 first round picks, theirs, Denvers, and wherever the third one came from. Speaking of which, anyone know where that other pick is from? Seeing as how it makes a difference for where in the round they'll pick.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.