main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Where are the jedi knights?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by missile, Sep 5, 2016.

1. missile

missile Jedi Padawan star 1

May 24, 2016
    Can someone give me a list all the jedi knights besides anakin and kanan that have been,cause I just realized that even though it would make since that jedi knights would be most shown jedi in the prequels,they all barely if even get any screentime in the prequel trilogy. Even when they do,they are usually just jedi redshirts like the poor saps in the arena in AOTC. We mostly get creentime with either just the masters padawans. The fact that the only jedi knights I remember shown in the prequels are anakin, maybe kanan, and the mon calamari jedi in the grevious lair episode in the clone wars show.

2. Torib

Torib Jedi Master star 2

Jan 27, 2016
    Obi Wan was a jedi knight in AOTC.

There are probably some other examples from the clone wars, like the knight/padawan duo who Savage goes up against in a season three episode. Or some of the other random jedi we see around the temple here and there.

3. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    If the only Jedi you remember are those three, then it's not the movies/series that are at fault.

4. missile

May 24, 2016
    But I mean one's that aren't the main characters though, and im talking the one's that stay knights till death.

5. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    I feel like 5 mins on wookiepedia would answer that question.

Or watching the prequels

mikeximus likes this.
  6. missile

May 24, 2016
    I did checked wookieepedia, and the number of notable jedi masters was far larger then the lists of notable jedi knights most whom either become masters later,got killed off screen,or just are barley shown on screen, which I just found kind of odd.

I have watched the prequels, and only notable jedi knights i come across are anakin and obi-wan that became knights through nontraditional means

7. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Wait, ok so your question is "which Jedi knights never got promoted"?

Ok then. Well the way it works is that you either die a Knight or live long enough to become a Master.

8. jc1138

jc1138 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 16, 2004
    We really don't know that much about the titles or "ranks" within the Jedi order, going from the films. The idea that a "Master" is a Jedi who has trained another Jedi to full-knighthood is an old and treasured one, but we really don't have direct evidence of this from the 7 films. We have Obi-Wan referring to himself and Luke's father as Jedi Knights in ANH, Yoda is called a Jedi Master in ESB, and then of course I and II have Obi-Wan and Anakin calling their masters "master," although at this point it seems that only Qui-Gon is actually a Jedi Master. RotS added more to this, making the rank of "Master" something that Anakin was specifically pursuing, and that the Jedi of the High Council were pointedly not granting him, and that holding that rank could include additional access to information or training. RotS is where the line between knight and master is drawn the most sharply.

Really, I doubt (most of) the Jedi thought as rigidly about their standing/rank as many of us do. For example, Obi Wan circa RotS probably just thinks himself as a Jedi, or a Jedi Knight, before thinking "I am a top-dog Jedi Master."

(PS, wasn't Aayla Secura a knight and not a master?)

HevyDevy likes this.
  9. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    You seem to be mixing ranks with titles.

Any Jedi can be referred to as "Jedi", "Master Jedi" or "Jedi Knight" as a generic/honorific title, either out of respect or for descriptive purposes, despite their actual rank in the Jedi Order.

Jedi ranks are a completely different issue. There are only Youngling, Padawan (once it's taken for apprenticeship by a Knight or a Master), Knight (once it ends the apprenticeship and completes the trials) and Master (once it trains a Padawan to knighthood).

HevyDevy likes this.
  10. KBGreedo

KBGreedo Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 27, 2015
    They're the only notable Jedi because they're the main characters of the movie.

From what I understand, the Jedi rarely worked en masse. They mostly went on assignments solo or with a single partner. Hence, the battle at Genosha was very much so an exception rather than the norm. The fact of the matter is, the prequels are the story of Anakin and Obi-Wan and other Jedi Knights getting involved in that story would just bog it down. We see the inner workings of the Masters because, as the leaders of the Jedi, they move the story along. But it's through the eyes of Anakin and Obi-Wan through which we see the means to the end.

11. jc1138

jc1138 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 16, 2004
    The films are, IMO, not quite clear on this either. The exact ranks and or titles are no where elaborated on at length in the films, nor would it really make sense for them to be on screen. It appears that (some like Anakin) Jedi seem to be more touchy about rank or title than others.

When you say "any Jedi" I assume you mean any Jedi that has reached knighthood, as Padme specifically calls out Sio Bibble for calling Anakin "master Jedi" when he is still a padawan.

12. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Sio Bibble is asking Anakin's opinion on the situation, and Padmé is explaning that he's just a Padawan (and as such doesn't have as much experience as expected from a Jedi). That's why he points out that he's the one charged with the responsibility for her security (and they wouldn't give that job to someone with no experience).

And yes, the movies make that distinction several times. People refer to Jedi as "Master Jedi" out of respect, even they don't have the rank of Master in the order. The younglings do that to Obi-Wan and Anakin when they were only Jedi Knights in rank. Sio Bibble does that to Anakin. Tawn We does the same to Obi-Wan in AotC. The opening crawl tells us that Valorum sent two Jedi Knights, despite the fact that Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan's ranks are Master and Padawan within the Order. Obi-Wan says the same thing in ANH, even though he himself had the rank of Master for having trained Anakin/Vader. Rune Haako asks Gunray if he has ever encountered a Jedi Knight, using a generic title that applies to any Jedi.

It's very clear.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.