main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Where are the Lucas' kids in all of this?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by budspencer, Jan 14, 2013.

1. budspencer

budspencer Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 23, 2010
    Isn't is strange that we have heard no beep at all from Lucas regarding his kids running his company pre-disney or post-disney sale?

I mean i don't know much about them or cared to follow what they do, But i just find it bizarre that George did not give control of his company to one of his kids...Seems that it would make sense.

I know in an interview that he did not do any favors for his kids and that they had to work to get what they wanted and not live with a silver spoon but i find this a bit ridiculous to have a dad with a gazillion dollars and cuts you off completely when he feels like he is old. Plus unless you are completely un-interested ,who would not love to run a multi billion company to the biggest movie franchise on the planet....?

I guess the kids were either very dumb ( which i doubt ) or very bad....

It would be interesting to see their story on this.

2. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    Im sure they are fine.

I'm aslo sure they are not dumb or bad.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  3. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    You know I was going to write a lengthy dissertation answering your questions, but then I read your post again and decided that it can be answered simply as this........

George's family has largely stayed out of the spotlight. In the absence of any information to the contrary, lets just presume that the kids wanted their father back and wanted nothing to do with running a major corporation. Money is not an issue, as they will want for nothing the rest of their lives.

Sitara and kainee like this.
  4. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Yeah I don't know why it would have to be one of those two. George just made what he thought was the best business decision to keep his company healthy and keep Star Wars going well into the future.

5. budspencer

budspencer Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 23, 2010
    I did not imply anything but as you know, many celebrity kids end up being messed up in bad ways because they live in the shadow of their family member. I am sure they are not in dire need of money but still... With all of what the OT has thought us about fathers and sons relationships ( the core message , now!) , you would think that some of that would have applied to George's personal life.... Ok sometimes you have to pass on the flame to others but if the kids were "OK" as some people imply, then, i see no reason why they could have not been almost at the top of the food chain even if it is sold to the mouse....

kainee likes this.
  6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    One of 'em is a writer for The Clone Wars, I think that's keeping it in the family. And I'm fairly certain they'll have moolah.

Episode Swag likes this.
  7. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Perhaps it is as simple as they just didn't want to follow their father in his company. Maybe they wanted to do their own things and since GL himself started out by refusing to take over his dad's company I'm sure he wouldn't mind that.

Sitara, Padme501st, kainee and 2 others like this.
  8. P.Sam

P.Sam Jedi Padawan star 1

May 31, 2011
    Well as have been said above, running something big such as Lucasfilm isn't made for everyone. Perhaps Lucas' kids weren't up to this or simply didn't want to go that way. There is also the possibility that George had since long ago in mind to trust Disney with the futur of Star Wars. George Lucas has always been fond of Disney and he sold Pixar to them and great things has been done with it.

kainee and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  9. windu4

windu4 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2008
    Hopefully as far away from this franchise as possible.

Just because you have kids doesn't mean they share your vision.

10. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Exiled

KED12345 likes this.
  11. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    Katie Lucas has shown the most interest in Star Wars and has written some really solid Clone Wars episodes. We don't know what the terms of the Disney deal is. It's entirely possible that the Star Wars license could revert back to them in part after a certain period. It's also worth mentioning that Lucas is now a significant shareholder at Disney, with 2 billion in shares thanks to the deal so while Lucas may have sold Star Wars to Disney, Lucas himself is a part of Disney as well and will still have a measure of influence. If Lucas' kids want to be part of Star Wars going forward, I don't think there'll be any obstacles against them doing that.

kainee and Joe Antonetti like this.
  12. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    Agreed. One problem - Lucas is not a Disney employee. He is just consulting (mainly for the PR, IMO)

13. Poor Greedo

Poor Greedo Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2012
    they are scrooge mcduck`n it. swimming in that big money. I'm sure they don't worry about...well, anything. :cool:

Panakas_Dawg likes this.
  14. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    No, he's not an employee, he's a shareholder. The man has 40 million shares. There are others who have more. The estate of the late Steve Jobs has 137 million shares, almost 8% of the company. Lucas owns around 2% of Disney, which doesn't seem like a lot but in terms of individual shareholders, he's right up there. Now, Lucas isn't planning to be active at Disney. He's effectively retired and his only role will be to consult on Star Wars but that 2% ensures that he will always own just a little bit of Star Wars and assuming his shares pass to his kids, so will they.

15. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    She needs to learn how to write proper dialogue before I could take her seriously.

16. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
  17. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Katie Lucas should have wrote EP7 she's a better writer than her Father .

18. CGI-BOBAFENT

CGI-BOBAFENT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    Why would he hand it over to his kids when they have no proven experience running a company that size? Lucas selling the company to Disney ensured it was in capable business hands, a move that has likely secured every one of his employees will continue to have work. He's said himself he wanted to make smaller experimental films and couldn't drag the company into it for risk of ruining them. Working in the film industry myself I respect that immensely. I'm sure Katie Lucas will continue to be creatively involved in the clone wars and doubt very much any of them are gonna go without next christmas!

kainee likes this.
  19. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Probably getting wasted right about now.

Panakas_Dawg and Joe Antonetti like this.
  20. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    As they should. What's millions of inheritance money worth if you don't have fun with it?

21. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Katie Lucas use to be on Twitter until she had enough of STAR WARS fans taking out their Lucas angst on her and bashing her about everything. She was quite vocal in her responses to fanatics too, so you probably wouldn't want her running the company that inspires a lot of people to give her a lot of grief. I remember one tweet by Amanda Lucas about the whole deal:
    Just because someone has offspring doesn't mean they are fit for running a family business or even interested in it. Lucas is quite wealthy beyond the 4.5 billion. They've also been raised in a world completely different from most of us and could just see money and wealth differently. The kids will be fine.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  22. Jedifirefly5

Jedifirefly5 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    What the kids are is very rich. I bet they thank god everyday they were adopted and aren't livig in section 8 instead.

23. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    As many people who have ripped GL, I am sure he doesn't want jealous people to start ripping on his children. Most parents would do the same, it's not like they don't have his attention and they need to go and get wasted...drunk, steal, or destroy something to get his attention. He did a good job with those kids, and as a result they don't make the news by doing stupid stuff. Peace, D

DarthBoba and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  24. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Well to be fair, Amanda is probably too busy being awesome and beating the hell out of broads to pay attention to movie developments.

JediKnightOB1 likes this.
  25. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    George's kids should not inherit the "sins of the father" solely by virtue they are his kids. What the heck did they have to do with the story, the acting, or the dialogue of the PT? None. Its this fanboy bashing that makes the rest of us fans look terrible.

JediKnightOB1 likes this.